U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2018, 10:47 AM

633 posts, read 238,000 times

Advertisements

I've visited all three of those. They all have great downtowns, but IMO Savannah's is much better than the other two combined. All three have plenty of restaurants, shops, and bars, but Savannah takes to a much larger level.

Hiking and outdoor options are gonna be better in Roanoke and Chatt, with the closer proximity to mountains and you still have lakes.

Weather-wise, Roanoke is going to have the mildest summers of the three. On the flip side, we live a couple hours south of there (Greensboro), and our first winter here was not too bad overall, aside from a few snow storms. Much milder than what you get in VT.

Personally, I'd have a tough time picking, because I absolutely love Savannah as a city itself more than Roanoke or Chatt, but I prefer mountains much more than beaches. You couldn't really go wrong with any of them, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-03-2018, 11:21 AM

49 posts, read 32,976 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottcolby View Post
How's your search going?

I love this post as I've been researching similar towns. I have family near Roanoke and visited Chatt last year for the first time. I've never been to Savannah, but it sounds pretty great. To me, Savannah will be way different than Chatt and Roanoke because it's near the beach. Roanoke and Chatt are in the mountains. Which type of terrain are you looking for. You mentioned hiking, so Savannah might not be your best bet for that.

Roanoke is near Smith Mountain Lake (where my parents live), so even though it's not near a beach, it's got that going for it. Of those 3, I lean a little more towards Roanoke because of the mountains and because it won't be quite as hot and humid in the summer. As you go further south, the humidity gets more unbearable in my opinion (but I'm a little spoiled living in Colorado now).

Scott
Itís going pretty well- we are actually driving down to visit all three places in 2 weeks and are excited to get a feel on each of them. I think we are leaning more towards Chattanooga or Savannah because we want milder temperatures year round even in the winter, but weíll see! Thanks for your thoughts!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Turnerbro View Post
I would pick Chattanooga.
Any specifics on why?! We are going to visit the area in a couple of weeks and would love some insight!

Old 05-03-2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
I've visited all three of those. They all have great downtowns, but IMO Savannah's is much better than the other two combined. All three have plenty of restaurants, shops, and bars, but Savannah takes to a much larger level.

Hiking and outdoor options are gonna be better in Roanoke and Chatt, with the closer proximity to mountains and you still have lakes.

Weather-wise, Roanoke is going to have the mildest summers of the three. On the flip side, we live a couple hours south of there (Greensboro), and our first winter here was not too bad overall, aside from a few snow storms. Much milder than what you get in VT.

Personally, I'd have a tough time picking, because I absolutely love Savannah as a city itself more than Roanoke or Chatt, but I prefer mountains much more than beaches. You couldn't really go wrong with any of them, though.
We donít mind a smaller downtown, just want the area of have one! Are there any particular differences in the downtown areas other than size? How is walkabikity in Chattanooga vs Savannah?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:32 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Roanoke is a beautiful city and has a much more "in the mountains" feeling than Chattanooga. The big problem with Roanoke is its relative isolation. You are still a couple of hours away from Charlottesville, Richmond, and the DC suburbs. I visited Roanoke a couple of months ago. I ate at a few good restaurants, did some hiking, etc., but there just isn't enough to draw me back there. As a city, it definitely lags behind Chattanooga in terms of amenities, like shopping.

I like Chattanooga, but the hipper parts of Chattanooga are actually getting quite expensive. It's cheaper further out. Traffic in Chattanooga can also be fairly bad crossing the river.

Old 05-03-2018, 04:22 PM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
Roanoke is a beautiful city and has a much more "in the mountains" feeling than Chattanooga. The big problem with Roanoke is its relative isolation. You are still a couple of hours away from Charlottesville, Richmond, and the DC suburbs.
I think geographic proximity is the only thing that has held Roanoke back but cannot imagine it'll be before too long when it's boom arrives. It has too much going for it otherwise and as other secondary cities in the region lose their affordability and lack of congestion, would have to guess it'll become more of a consideration for relocation.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:51 AM

633 posts, read 238,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
We don’t mind a smaller downtown, just want the area of have one! Are there any particular differences in the downtown areas other than size? How is walkabikity in Chattanooga vs Savannah?
Overall they both have pretty walkable downtowns (Chatt has some sketchy areas adjacent to theirs, but they seem to be improving - it's been a couple of years since my last visit); it's just that Savannah has more places to walk to. Aside from size, it has more character IMO. I absolutely love meandering through the old "colonial" architecture that's more prevalent in downtown Savannah. Also, I think the nightlife is vastly superior compared to the other two cities, but that may not be as important to yall.

Old 05-04-2018, 01:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianGC View Post
Overall they both have pretty walkable downtowns (Chatt has some sketchy areas adjacent to theirs, but they seem to be improving - it's been a couple of years since my last visit); it's just that Savannah has more places to walk to. Aside from size, it has more character IMO. I absolutely love meandering through the old "colonial" architecture that's more prevalent in downtown Savannah. Also, I think the nightlife is vastly superior compared to the other two cities, but that may not be as important to yall.
Awesome, thanks for the info. Any chance you know of any decent surrounding towns to live in with easy access to the city.

Old 05-04-2018, 03:23 PM

5,682 posts, read 8,749,928 times
Quote:
Any chance you know of any decent surrounding towns to live in with easy access to the city.
One gets the impression you are more focused on the surrounding towns than the cities listed in your OP.

If so, you are going about this backwards. Why not search for a decent small town near a mid size metro in the states where you can relocate? And what is your definition of "decent".

Personally, if I were to move near Savannah I would live in the city itself. There's nothing else like it.

Old 05-04-2018, 06:28 PM

23,035 posts, read 34,995,637 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vtmountain05 View Post
Any specifics on why?! We are going to visit the area in a couple of weeks and would love some insight!
Chattanooga is a total success story. Fifty years ago Atlantans called it The Armpit of the South; today we head up there for weekend jaunts. Once drab and industrial, the downtown has been completely reinvented to take advantage of its mountain-and-river setting. There are plenty of attractions in the area, and some lovely neighborhoods surrounding the city. Savannah is the "It Girl" in the South these days, but Chattanooga deserves its due.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or