U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 12:26 PM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
If you dropped me here blindfolded, I would be very surprised to find out I was in Nebraska! https://www.google.com/maps/@42.6866...7i13312!8i6656
Looks like the Dakotas!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 03:40 PM

6,841 posts, read 6,181,041 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Looks like the Dakotas!
That's because it almost is.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:57 PM

20,846 posts, read 35,932,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 601halfdozen0theother View Post
Pick Vilas! Close to all the fun things that happen in Ashland, but still remote and beautiful. Oneida's too close to Green Bay, which is pretty gritty imho. Check the crime stats for the area - does it spread out from Green Bay? And Marquette gets more snow than the other two places, I think. The UP generally does.
I am familiar with most areas in Vilas County, including Presque Isle, Boulder Junction, Winchester, St. Germain, Manitowish Waters, Conover, Phelps, etc. I have also GIS mapped out all of the state forest, national forest, campgrounds, state parks, and other reservations for the county. Google Maps depicts the updated changes completed by yours truly compared to neighboring Oneida county that has not seen updates or completions to its GIS data in the same manner.
Oneida is one county south of Vilas in the Northwoods, not exactly much closer to Green Bay, I think you might be thinking of Oconto County- northwest of the metro area by a bit on the Lake Michigan side.

The one downside to Vilas is the higher housing prices and outside dollars coming in from Chicago and Milwaukee due to the strong tourism influence and tourism economy there. However, one can find more secluded spots well removed from both Eagle River and Minocqua/Woodruff. Prices for houses on lots that don't have lake frontage are much more reasonable, and are a better value when close to adjacent state forest parcels with trails leading to lakes.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:47 AM

1,252 posts, read 1,475,639 times
I live in the Ozarks, and the Arkansas sections, around the Buffalo National River, and the "Boston Mountains" are very beautiful.

I think the Ouachitas are prettier overall. They're more extreme, with deep valleys and visible peaks. The areas south of Fort Smith around the towns of Waldron and Mena, Arkansas remind me of "real mountains" in other areas.

http://www.waldronarrealestate.com/O...3583328080.jpg

Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

Last edited by Yac; 04-19-2018 at 05:54 AM..

Old 04-11-2018, 02:28 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,436,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
So everybody knows about the Appalachian and Rocky mountain ranges, the two dominant mountain ranges of North America. However, lying in the Midwestern US and part of the western south are a few lesser known low-mountain ranges/hill country.

In the upper Midwest sit the eastern Sawtooths (not to be confused with the much more popular Idaho Sawtooths) in Minnesota and the Michigan UP, as well the Driftless area that escaped glaciation more than once, shared by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois.

In the lower Midwest and western south sit the Ozarks and Quachita mountains. The Ozarks are admittedly the best known of these four regions, but shockingly they are often forgotten in conversation these days. The Ozarks sit in Missouri, (a tiny bit of) Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma, with the neighboring Quachita shared between Arkansas and Oklahoma.

With the Midwest generally being defined as flat, these areas go relatively un-noticed by the general public.

So here's the question; whether you just learned about these places now or knew about them previously (perhaps personally), which do you personally prefer the natural beauty of? Or in general, which region do you feel provides the best hunting/fishing or even home-lifestyle?

I personally believe they are all fairly comparable in both landscape and obscurity, and more or less wished to bring them up.

Discuss!

Driftless - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area

Eastern Sawtooths - (Sadly, there does not seem to be a wiki article on them. Google search will do though!)

Ozarks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks

Quachita - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouachita_Mountains
I’d say the Sierra Nevada Mountains are more dominant than the Appalachian’s, which are basically high hills (albeit very beautiful).

But in regards to your question — I vote for the Ouachita Mountains, a very pretty and densely forested mountain mass, and one I have explored extensively. Many of the canyons and hollers are breathtakingly verdant and isolated, qualities which apply to most of the range; the isolated rural ness of these mountains is a strong point. But the others are similar in many parts, so it’s basically a pick’em!

Last edited by AnthonyJ34; 04-11-2018 at 02:30 AM.. Reason: Spelling

Old 04-11-2018, 07:24 AM

2,701 posts, read 4,667,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Looks like the Dakotas!
Only a very small part of the Dakotas looks like that- the Black Hills in the far western section of South Dakota. The rest of both states are very flat with very few trees. (source: I used to live in both states)

Old 04-11-2018, 08:12 AM

4,247 posts, read 9,710,646 times
Some of the bluff areas along the larger Upper Midwest rivers give the impression, briefly, of hilliness, even south of the Driftless. The Mississippi down to about St. Louis is an example. Burlington, IA is a much hillier city than Burlington, VT.

I once had a professor (in Syracuse, NY) who alleged that the Nebraska Sandhills were a much more satisfying wilderness than the Adirondacks, he was from NE, and also might have wanted to provoke a bit. I have not yet been able to penetrate this area, roadtrip companions have always been too skeptical.

On visiting I was surprised that the Ozarks/Ouachita had a similar dichotomy to the Allegheny/Valley and Ridge topography in Pennsylvania (continuing in some degree and with different names from NY State to Alabama), The Talimena Scenic Drive was a shock, especially approaching it from the Oklahoma side and still being in OK on getting on it. Seeing this area depended on me driving by myself.

I had not realized the St. Francis mountains were different from the Ozarks, perhaps I could roadtrip again in the future to see. I didn't see very much at all of the Missouri side - didn't even go to Branson.

I've visited the central/western UP of Michigan a couple of times, both too short seemingly. Houghton was more of a micro-city than I was expecting. I was not familiar with the "Eastern Sawtooths" terminology. I have also been to the North Shore of MN, which seems crowded, an awful lot of Texas tags in high summer. Duluth, even ten years ago wasn't quite the deep post-industrial hell I was half expecting.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:41 AM

5,616 posts, read 3,934,565 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jm31828 View Post
Only a very small part of the Dakotas looks like that- the Black Hills in the far western section of South Dakota. The rest of both states are very flat with very few trees. (source: I used to live in both states)
I know. Ive been to ND and SD several times.

Old 04-11-2018, 01:42 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I’d say the Sierra Nevada Mountains are more dominant than the Appalachian’s, which are basically high hills (albeit very beautiful).
What I meant by dominant is size of territory. The Rockies run all through north America (sans Mexico I think), and the Appalachians run from Alabama through maritime Canada, and includes Newfoundland island (and possibly the Ozarks) as geological satellites. The two are the longest ranges in the US and Canada, and the most well known in their respective halves of the nation.

The Sierra Nevada are almost exclusive to California. They are a tall range, but a smaller one too.

As for being hills, that's a matter of opinion given the context of the surrounding terrain. They'd certainly be hills if they were in Utah, but they are mountains when the states/areas neighboring them are typically giant cornfields or beaches and billboard forests.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:27 PM

1,882 posts, read 1,436,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
What I meant by dominant is size of territory. The Rockies run all through north America (sans Mexico I think), and the Appalachians run from Alabama through maritime Canada, and includes Newfoundland island (and possibly the Ozarks) as geological satellites. The two are the longest ranges in the US and Canada, and the most well known in their respective halves of the nation.

The Sierra Nevada are almost exclusive to California. They are a tall range, but a smaller one too.

As for being hills, that's a matter of opinion given the context of the surrounding terrain. They'd certainly be hills if they were in Utah, but they are mountains when the states/areas neighboring them are typically giant cornfields or beaches and billboard forests.
I got ya! I wasn’t trying to be critical. But it makes sense now that you explained the context. One thing about the Rockies in the U.S is that the range is not one continual segment of peaks and ridges, but more a series of semi-interconnected individual ranges that often have huge breaks and/or valleys separating each range. The mountains are extremely impressive and beautiful mind you, but in some ways, they seem more impressive on a topographical map than they do in person. On the map, it looks like one giant, massive ridge of mountains running continually from Canada down through Montana and Wyoming, into Colorado and New Mexico, and then down into Mexico. But in reality, the Rockies have huge breaks between individual segments of the mountains, often separated by miles and miles of open, flat prairie land (albeit at high elevations) and in many cases high desert (the area around Albuquerque for instance).

Last edited by AnthonyJ34; 04-11-2018 at 06:27 PM.. Reason: Spelling
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.