U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 11:04 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyJ34 View Post
I got ya! I wasn’t trying to be critical. But it makes sense now that you explained the context. One thing about the Rockies in the U.S is that the range is not one continual segment of peaks and ridges, but more a series of semi-interconnected individual ranges that often have huge breaks and/or valleys separating each range. The mountains are extremely impressive and beautiful mind you, but in some ways, they seem more impressive on a topographical map than they do in person. On the map, it looks like one giant, massive ridge of mountains running continually from Canada down through Montana and Wyoming, into Colorado and New Mexico, and then down into Mexico. But in reality, the Rockies have huge breaks between individual segments of the mountains, often separated by miles and miles of open, flat prairie land (albeit at high elevations) and in many cases high desert (the area around Albuquerque for instance).
Oh, no offense was taken.

Fun fact on this subject: a lot of people out east (myself included, years ago) have little to no idea that the Rockies aren't literally all of the mountains in the west.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2018, 12:50 PM

13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CookieSkoon View Post
Fun fact on this subject: a lot of people out east (myself included, years ago) have little to no idea that the Rockies aren't literally all of the mountains in the west.
This is true. I occasionally encounter people that are completely surprised that CA isn't almost completely flat like FL or something, and that the vast majority of it is within site of mountains.

The Sierra Nevada, the Cascades, the Coast Ranges, the Transverse Ranges, and literally dozens more mountain ranges exist west of the Rockies.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:55 AM

1,882 posts, read 1,436,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
This is true. I occasionally encounter people that are completely surprised that CA isn't almost completely flat like FL or something, and that the vast majority of it is within site of mountains.

The Sierra Nevada, the Cascades, the Coast Ranges, the Transverse Ranges, and literally dozens more mountain ranges exist west of the Rockies.
Yes, and my personal favorite So. Cal mountain range: the San Jacinto Mountains! They don’t get as much fanfare as do the neighboring San Bernardino Mountains, but the San Jacinto’s have always held a special appeal to me and been my favorite. They are less developed and populated than the San Bernardino’s, and therefore retain more of an isolated, primitive nature. Plus, the northeast face of Mt. San Jacinto (the range’s crown jewel) is about the most impressive mountain face in the U.S: I think it rises more quickly in elevation from the desert flooor to its 10,837-foot summit more quickly and steeply than any other mountain in the lower 48. Not many other mountains have the same prominence or relief. And when you add in beautiful Garner Valley (which includes Lake Hemet) and the verdant, bucolic town of Idyllwild, the San Jacinto’s are hard to beat!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.