Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-31-2018, 04:58 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,490,283 times

Advertisements

So everybody knows about the Appalachian and Rocky mountain ranges, the two dominant mountain ranges of North America. However, lying in the Midwestern US and part of the western south are a few lesser known low-mountain ranges/hill country.

In the upper Midwest sit the eastern Sawtooths (not to be confused with the much more popular Idaho Sawtooths) in Minnesota and the Michigan UP, as well the Driftless area that escaped glaciation more than once, shared by Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa and Illinois.

In the lower Midwest and western south sit the Ozarks and Quachita mountains. The Ozarks are admittedly the best known of these four regions, but shockingly they are often forgotten in conversation these days. The Ozarks sit in Missouri, (a tiny bit of) Kansas, Arkansas and Oklahoma, with the neighboring Quachita shared between Arkansas and Oklahoma.

With the Midwest generally being defined as flat, these areas go relatively un-noticed by the general public.

So here's the question; whether you just learned about these places now or knew about them previously (perhaps personally), which do you personally prefer the natural beauty of? Or in general, which region do you feel provides the best hunting/fishing or even home-lifestyle?

I personally believe they are all fairly comparable in both landscape and obscurity, and more or less wished to bring them up.

Discuss!

Driftless - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Driftless_Area

Eastern Sawtooths - (Sadly, there does not seem to be a wiki article on them. Google search will do though!)

Ozarks - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ozarks

Quachita - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ouachita_Mountains
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2018, 06:59 PM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,674,887 times
I live in the Ozarks, but like the Sawtooth "mountains" along Minnesota's north shore the best. I love the Great Lakes.

Old 03-31-2018, 07:16 PM

720 posts, read 791,056 times
There's no such thing as the "Quachita" mountains. It's Ouachita. O, not Q.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:12 PM

4,409 posts, read 6,490,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BuffaloHome View Post
There's no such thing as the "Quachita" mountains. It's Ouachita. O, not Q.
My mistake.

Truthfully, I need glasses. I don't have them. O and Q look exactly the same to me without HARD squinting.

Old 03-31-2018, 09:42 PM

13,824 posts, read 29,788,732 times
The Driftless looks pretty close to paradise IMO, can't wait to visit that area someday. The Ozarks look pretty nice too.

I'll put in a plug for the Flint Hills in Kansas, they are quite unexpected and enchanting.

Old 04-01-2018, 12:33 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,119,296 times
As a backpacker who lived in Missouri for 4 years, my vote goes to the Ouachitas. They are more prominent than the Ozarks and imo more beautiful. The Eagle Rock Loop in Arkansas is one of my favorite backpacking trails, and I’ve backpacked all over the country. Arkansas has some truly splendid areas.

The Driftless Area is interesting but very small. I’ve not been to the Sawtooths so I can’t comment.

Old 04-01-2018, 02:03 AM

2,842 posts, read 2,757,756 times
Ozarks for me.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:09 AM

67,655 posts, read 60,260,650 times
I love the Ozarks and the Ouachita mountains myself. Arkansas is a surprisingly beautiful state.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:43 AM

839 posts, read 809,770 times
Oklahoma also has the Wichita Mountains in the southwestern part of the state and the Arbuckle Mountains between Dallas and Oklahoma City.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:08 AM
sub

4,963 posts, read 3,674,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
Oklahoma also has the Wichita Mountains in the southwestern part of the state and the Arbuckle Mountains between Dallas and Oklahoma City.
Oh yeah, the Wichita Mountains. Perhaps the most interesting because you simply don't expect them to be there, in a place like that. Very unique area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.