U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 01:18 PM

56,621 posts, read 80,930,134 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Ahhhhhh another W for NY
lol....You may find others in the state of you look by census tract or block group as well. For instance, here are lists that has some census block groups with relatively recent info(yes, the data likely needs to be updated) that fit or come close: Upper Middle class african-american communities in ny

If you look at a couple of pages after that page, you can view more of such information.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2018 at 01:32 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 02:51 PM

1,549 posts, read 712,907 times
In Chicagoland, mostly the south suburbs: Flossmoor, Homewood, Richton Park, University Park, etc. Many of these places are still seeing overall declines because of the white folks flooding out, though.

Old 04-01-2018, 04:18 PM

Quote:
are there any wealthy suburban black communities that are significantly black? I’m talking 75%+ black?
Mitchellville MD is 84.3%(89.1% including in combination) and has a median household income of $121,000(2016 census information).

Old 04-01-2018, 07:05 PM

7,706 posts, read 4,569,470 times
Just because an area has relatively high black median incomes, doesn’t mean black people with money are moving there. PG is a great example. Black people with money are moving to Montgomery county, whereas people being gentrified out of DC are moving to PG.

Old 04-01-2018, 07:24 PM

1,704 posts, read 1,366,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Just because an area has relatively high black median incomes, doesn’t mean black people with money are moving there. PG is a great example. Black people with money are moving to Montgomery county, whereas people being gentrified out of DC are moving to PG.
True.

When it comes to true money, Montgomery County is on a whole different level. Not to say PG County doesn't have people with money, I just wouldn't compare it with Montgomery County.

Old 04-01-2018, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Or they could be moving to select PG County communities outside of the Beltway too.

Some are moving to Charles County as well. A little old, but interesting to see: http://www.usa.com/rank/maryland-sta...lst=MD&yr=9000

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-01-2018 at 08:28 PM..

Old 04-02-2018, 12:09 AM

406 posts, read 288,833 times
Quote:
Bet.com and the root.com came out with a list of affluent Black communities in America last year. I’m sure they got the source from somewhere but some of the areas were in the NYC metro!

Hillcrest, NY located in Rockland county
Uniondale located Nassau County
Elmont, NY located in Nassau county that boarders the successful black communities in southeast Queens
Wheatley Heights, NY located in Nassau County

Elmont, Uniondale, Hillcrest are over 50% Black.
The black make up of Wheatley Heights is 48% black which makes blacks the largest group in the area.

https://www.bet.com/style/2017/07/07...er-review.html
https://www.theroot.com/living-it-up...ods-1790868480

As far as the NJ portion of the NYC metro, Alpines, NJ is a rich area in NJ that is known to attract wealthy African american celebrities. I wouldn’t call it a suburb that attracted “many” African Americans though.
Let me just say I think these threads are dumb.

When it comes to Nassau, Uniondale and Elmont are by no means "affluent" or even nice really, especially Uniondale. Pretty rough area (borders Hempstead and Roosevelt, two bad areas) and Elmont is pretty "eh" as well....

To answer the question though, Englewood NJ for NYC, and cities like Dallas, DC, Houston and ATL have many suburbs that have decent black populations.

Old 04-02-2018, 01:17 AM

Location: That star on your map in the middle of the East Coast, DMV
3,979 posts, read 3,461,419 times
Quote:
Not entirely true. I know a fair amount of people who make good income on their own, but have moved from either another county in this region or out of state to Prince George's due to the COL being slightly better than its surrounding neighbors.

Also median home values in PG County have the highest percentage increase in the DC area the past couple of years.

And anybody who knows the area well, knows that Charles county is taking more gentrified DC residents now than PG.

Old 04-02-2018, 05:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post

When it comes to Nassau, Uniondale and Elmont are by no means "affluent" or even nice really, especially Uniondale. Pretty rough area (borders Hempstead and Roosevelt, two bad areas) and Elmont is pretty "eh" as well....

To answer the question though, Englewood NJ for NYC, and cities like Dallas, DC, Houston and ATL have many suburbs that have decent black populations.
Elmont actually has a higher median household income than Englewood(which still has middle class areas) and actually has “better”/solid/good schools: https://www.sewanhakaschools.org/elm . Those other Nassau County places actually have middle class areas within them, as mentioned in a thread I posted earlier in this thread.

Old 04-02-2018, 06:28 AM

1,991 posts, read 866,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tman7117 View Post

speaking about rough idk how rough or safe many of these areas being mentioned in many of these communities across the country are. Most of the areas being mentioned are being judged by their income status!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.