U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-31-2018, 08:47 PM
 
63 posts, read 52,412 times
Reputation: 68

Advertisements

For New York... it's Alpine, NJ

I have no idea about DC or ATl
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 PM
 
905 posts, read 912,483 times
Reputation: 809
For ATL, all the surrounding counties
for DC, Prince George's, Montgomery, Charles Counties
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-31-2018, 09:51 PM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 865,245 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonongoco View Post
For New York... it's Alpine, NJ

I have no idea about DC or ATl
Alpine NJ? You sure you mean Rich African American celebs?

I would say Englewood has successful black people and its in Nj.

Long Island is another suburb in NYC blacks move to or they pack their bags and head down south!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 06:03 AM
 
1,002 posts, read 1,438,882 times
Reputation: 868
In DC, I would agree definitely PG County and now even Charles County. PG County is the wealthiest black county in the country and has a ton of mostly wealthy black areas like Mitchellville, Upper Marlboro, and Bowie. A lot of my black coworkers are moving to Charles County since the taxes are cheaper and the school system is better.

Prince William County in Northern Va has a lot of middle to upper class black folks as well, especially in the Woodbridge area.

I'm not too familiar with Atlanta but when I visited my cousin, DeKalb County and South Fulton is where the wealthy black folks live. My cousin went to a mega church in DeKalb County that was full of rich black people.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 07:04 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 865,245 times
Reputation: 1106
Bet.com and the root.com came out with a list of affluent Black communities in America last year. I’m sure they got the source from somewhere but some of the areas were in the NYC metro!


Hillcrest, NY located in Rockland county
Uniondale located Nassau County
Elmont, NY located in Nassau county that boarders the successful black communities in southeast Queens
Wheatley Heights, NY located in Nassau County

Elmont, Uniondale, Hillcrest are over 50% Black.
The black make up of Wheatley Heights is 48% black which makes blacks the largest group in the area.


https://www.bet.com/style/2017/07/07...er-review.html
https://www.theroot.com/living-it-up...ods-1790868480

As far as the NJ portion of the NYC metro, Alpines, NJ is a rich area in NJ that is known to attract wealthy African american celebrities. I wouldn’t call it a suburb that attracted “many” African Americans though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 07:12 AM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Alpine NJ? You sure you mean Rich African American celebs?

I would say Englewood has successful black people and its in Nj.

Long Island is another suburb in NYC blacks move to or they pack their bags and head down south!
Some go to Teaneck, South Orange, Maplewood, West Orange, etc. in NJ; parts of Rockland County NY(Hillcrest(Ramapo SD), South Nyack(Nyack SD), etc.); parts of Westchester County NY(North White Plains/southern end of Valhalla SD, northern Mount Vernon, northern Pelham, western/northern New Rochelle, etc.) and Long Island(Nassau and Suffolk counties)(the Valley Streams, parts of Elmont, Baldwin/NW Freeport, northern Westbury/New Cassel(Westbury SD), Wheatley Heights(Half Hollow Hills SD), Lakeview(Malverne SD), etc.).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 07:18 AM
 
56,588 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Reputation: 12500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Bet.com and the root.com came out with a list of affluent Black communities in America last year. I’m sure they got the source from somewhere but some of the areas were in the NYC metro!


Hillcrest, NY located in Rockland county
Uniondale located Nassau County
Elmont, NY located in Nassau county that boarders the successful black communities in southeast Queens
Wheatley Heights, NY located in Nassau County

Elmont, Uniondale, Hillcrest are over 50% Black.
The black make up of Wheatley Heights is 48% black which makes blacks the largest group in the area.


https://www.bet.com/style/2017/07/07...er-review.html
https://www.theroot.com/living-it-up...ods-1790868480

As far as the NJ portion of the NYC metro, Alpines, NJ is a rich area in NJ that is known to attract wealthy African american celebrities. I wouldn’t call it a suburb that attracted “many” African Americans though.
Uniondale is more straight middle class and Wheatley Heights is 53% Black according to 2016 census data.

I would have added North Valley Stream and Lakeview for NY. Both are predominantly Black and have 6 figure median household incomes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 07:25 AM
 
Location: Brooklyn the best borough in NYC!
1,991 posts, read 865,245 times
Reputation: 1106
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Uniondale is more straight middle class and Wheatley Heights is 53% Black according to 2016 census data.

I would have added North Valley Stream and Lakeview for NY. Both are predominantly Black and have 6 figure median household incomes.
Yea I didn’t go much digging in the figures category but just reported what theroot and bet reported.
I was actually surprised that some NYC locations made the list to be honest!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 07:29 AM
 
29,916 posts, read 27,355,630 times
Reputation: 18453
In metro ATL, a big one is Fayette County but not many people are aware of that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-01-2018, 07:30 AM
 
Location: Columbia, MD
1,428 posts, read 1,987,077 times
Reputation: 2115
I don't know if I'd say "rich" per say, but a lot of Black folks with more stable/disposable incomes are choosing western Baltimore County, say Owings Mills and Randallstown.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top