U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-01-2018, 04:29 PM

2 posts, read 675 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'm a 21 year old single male electrical/computer engineering student (born and raised in Northern California; of Indian origin) and I'm looking at possible cities to move to within the US. What I am looking for in a city is a fairly low crime rate, affordable housing (plan to buy a house in the future), a solid job market, and some good scenery if possible (not my top criteria).

I'm currently considering the following cities(Minneapolis/St.Paul, Denver, Austin, Charlotte) and would really appreciate some input or any other suggestions that you may have. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2018, 04:50 PM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Denver and Austin have pretty much or almost lost "affordable" status for most and will only continue going up in cost for the near future. I would put Atlanta over Charlotte and while Minneapolis-St Paul is a good option, wouldn't not consider Chicago which is surprisingly affordable and safer for the most part. If looking toward the future in terms of something possibly more family-friendly yet still with a vital economy, I wouldn't overlook cities like Raleigh-Durham or Richmond.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:16 PM

2 posts, read 675 times
Thank you for your suggestions, I will definitely look into Chicago, Atlanta, and Raleigh-Durham. Perhaps my perspective of affordability is a bit skewed with regards to Austin and Denver since I've been brought up in the SF Bay Area where the cost of living is sky-high.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:32 PM

558 posts, read 318,262 times
I suggest the following: Seattle, Si Valley, LA, San Diego. Go West Young Man has never been more true. Put your knowledge and youth to work and take risks, you're young - you can "afford" it. The West Coast will continue to flourish and be the technological epicenter for the foreseeable future. Do not be afraid to fail, do not be afraid of debt. Work hard. Good luck.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:54 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,532,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
I suggest the following: Seattle, Si Valley, LA, San Diego. Go West Young Man has never been more true. Put your knowledge and youth to work and take risks, you're young - you can "afford" it. The West Coast will continue to flourish and be the technological epicenter for the foreseeable future. Do not be afraid to fail, do not be afraid of debt. Work hard. Good luck.
The West isnít affordable, at least not the desirable areas where job markets are hot. Just because someone is young, doesnít mean they can ďaffordĒ it as you say, most 21 year olds donít have $1 million for a home ready to go.

Old 04-01-2018, 05:56 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,532,405 times
I’ll also agree with Chicago, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and the Raleigh-Durham area.

Could also throw in Indianapolis, Nashville, And possibly Louisville

Old 04-01-2018, 06:13 PM

358 posts, read 151,539 times
My rankings would be the following from your list:

#1: Minneapolis
#2: Denver (but prices are crazy)
#3: Charlotte
#4: Austin

As others said I'd also throw Chicago and Atlanta in the mix too.

Old 04-01-2018, 06:24 PM

56,758 posts, read 81,102,256 times
A sleeper if you don’t mind the Northeast is the Albany-Schenectady-Troy area. Companies such as Global Foundries, General Electric and Knolls Atomic Power Laboratory are a few places in the area that could have potential job openings.

It is in the middle of NY State’s Tech Valley as well: https://www.albany.com/hotspot/tech-valley/

Places/school districts in the area such as Menands, Guilderland, North Colonie and Schenectady(more due to Indo-Guyanese) have relatively visible Indian populations as well.

It is an area close to multiple sets of mountains(Adirondacks, Catskills, Taconics and Berkshires), as well as lakes and rivers.

Overall cost of living is around/a little above the national average.

Old 04-01-2018, 10:18 PM

6,561 posts, read 13,774,697 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Iíll also agree with Chicago, Atlanta, Minneapolis, and the Raleigh-Durham area.

Could also throw in Indianapolis, Nashville, And possibly Louisville
The I-65 corridor from Indy to Louisville to Nashville is indeed very hot right now, and rightfully so for young people!

Old 04-01-2018, 10:32 PM

3,786 posts, read 2,572,427 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
The West isnít affordable, at least not the desirable areas where job markets are hot. Just because someone is young, doesnít mean they can ďaffordĒ it as you say, most 21 year olds donít have $1 million for a home ready to go.
I think what he was saying is that, if he's really talented in his field he'd be able to make a larger impact in the epicenter of modern day technology, as opposed to other cities that don't have the same impact on the tech world.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.