U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:27 PM
 
Location: BMORE!
7,728 posts, read 6,137,255 times
Reputation: 3585

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I disagree.
Ok.

I'm basing my opinion off of what I've seen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-03-2018, 07:38 PM
 
5,682 posts, read 8,754,172 times
Reputation: 4911
Chattanooga has an office of 8 people devoted to promoting their city.

Not to imply they don't have plenty to brag about but they do like to put out the press releases.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:18 AM
 
Location: Brew City
4,214 posts, read 2,503,558 times
Reputation: 5649
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
in what way?
This is my opinion as an outsider looking in so take it with a grain of salt.

The "Keep _____ weird" thing either started in Austin or that's the city I always think of first. From what I see, Austin seems to pride itself on being "different" than Texas. Not that it's not a proud part of Texas but that it's not the stereotype of Texas. A proud blue bubble in a sea of Red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:45 AM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
506 posts, read 338,569 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This is my opinion as an outsider looking in so take it with a grain of salt.

The "Keep _____ weird" thing either started in Austin or that's the city I always think of first. From what I see, Austin seems to pride itself on being "different" than Texas. Not that it's not a proud part of Texas but that it's not the stereotype of Texas. A proud blue bubble in a sea of Red.
I think the "Keep _____ Weird" thing started in Portland, OR? Or at least that's what I always thought. On that topic, Portland seems obsessed with the image of it being ~weird~ or ~indie~ or ~quirky~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:53 AM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,235,853 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This is my opinion as an outsider looking in so take it with a grain of salt.

The "Keep _____ weird" thing either started in Austin or that's the city I always think of first. From what I see, Austin seems to pride itself on being "different" than Texas. Not that it's not a proud part of Texas but that it's not the stereotype of Texas. A proud blue bubble in a sea of Red.
For such a transplant-heavy city, Austin is incredibly provincial and myopic in their views of other places. For a city so highly praised and hyped up, you would think it would be a little more humble. Not a chance! The residents, the local media, etc. are drunk off of the hype. To me, that's a sign of a very insecure city. Cities that are confident and secure within themselves don't feel the need to try so hard to distinguish themselves from other cities. (e.g. "This is what people in Austin do. People in Houston do that"). The Austin of the early 90's seemed to be way more "live and let live."

Having lived in Texas since 2012, I can tell you that the TX cities are becoming more similar. It's not unusual for a bar/restaurant owner in Dallas to also own an establishment in Austin. It's common to stumble upon a stereotypical "Austin" neighborhood or establishment in Houston or a stereotypical "Dallas" establishment or strip in Austin. The main difference tends to come down to ego -- Austin will remind you to death that you're in Austin and this is how it's supposed to be. That to me is the opposite of "live and let live."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 10:58 AM
 
1,987 posts, read 1,235,853 times
Reputation: 2216
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I think the "Keep _____ Weird" thing started in Portland, OR? Or at least that's what I always thought. On that topic, Portland seems obsessed with the image of it being ~weird~ or ~indie~ or ~quirky~
It actually started in Austin and wasn't meant to be the city's official slogan. The main point of it was to encourage people to support local businesses. But like usual, it was corporatized and used as a way to self promote and draw in new residents and businesses. Authentically quirky became kitsch. Austin of 2018 epitomizes the word "kitsch" and tries to pass it off as genuinely weird. You're either weird or you're not. SXSW and "Live Music Capital of the World" were also corrupted to bring in new residents. I'll have to give Austin credit though -- it has quite the sophisticated Chamber of Commerce. Most of the people I run into there sound like COC types.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:04 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I think the "Keep _____ Weird" thing started in Portland, OR? Or at least that's what I always thought. On that topic, Portland seems obsessed with the image of it being ~weird~ or ~indie~ or ~quirky~
I think it started in Austin but Portland seems weirder for sure. I think the original intent was to support your local businesses.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:07 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
This is my opinion as an outsider looking in so take it with a grain of salt.

The "Keep _____ weird" thing either started in Austin or that's the city I always think of first. From what I see, Austin seems to pride itself on being "different" than Texas. Not that it's not a proud part of Texas but that it's not the stereotype of Texas. A proud blue bubble in a sea of Red.
It's the blueberry in your tomato soup. Hilary stomped Donald 65-27. Also the only city where the white vote went to Hilary as well, in Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 12:12 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles, CA
506 posts, read 338,569 times
Reputation: 1206
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
For such a transplant-heavy city, Austin is incredibly provincial and myopic in their views of other places. For a city so highly praised and hyped up, you would think it would be a little more humble. Not a chance! The residents, the local media, etc. are drunk off of the hype. To me, that's a sign of a very insecure city. Cities that are confident and secure within themselves don't feel the need to try so hard to distinguish themselves from other cities. (e.g. "This is what people in Austin do. People in Houston do that"). The Austin of the early 90's seemed to be way more "live and let live."

Having lived in Texas since 2012, I can tell you that the TX cities are becoming more similar. It's not unusual for a bar/restaurant owner in Dallas to also own an establishment in Austin. It's common to stumble upon a stereotypical "Austin" neighborhood or establishment in Houston or a stereotypical "Dallas" establishment or strip in Austin. The main difference tends to come down to ego -- Austin will remind you to death that you're in Austin and this is how it's supposed to be. That to me is the opposite of "live and let live."
This is the exact attitude I got in Portland, as well.

I'm originally from Oregon and now living in LA, I get people all the time saying how beautiful Portland is. It's undoubtedly a pretty city, but the people were a total turn off to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-04-2018, 03:11 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,849 posts, read 2,978,355 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
Dallas and Philly are the two I think of.
Philly, maybe in the "hey, we're every bit as relevant as the other east coast cities." Dallas likes to pretend they're a haven for transplants fro mthe northeast and west, when in actuality, most of their residents are from the south, surrounding states or Texas.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top