U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 03:28 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,167,360 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
It's the blueberry in your tomato soup. Hilary stomped Donald 65-27. Also the only city where the white vote went to Hilary as well, in Texas.
A number of counties (and cities) in TX voted blue and pro-Dem in 2016 besides Austin, including Harris (Houston), Bexar (San Antonio), and Dallas. It's a complete myth that Austin is the only blue area in the state. And overall, 43% of people voted for the blue. That's no tiny percentage. Even the map below is misleading, because though more counties voted red, the largest counties in terms of population voted blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...in_Texas,_2016
Attached Thumbnails
US cities obsessed with their image.-texas_presidential_election_results_2016.svg.jpg  

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-04-2018 at 03:55 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 03:49 PM

21,698 posts, read 23,732,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajams22 View Post
I think the "Keep _____ Weird" thing started in Portland, OR? Or at least that's what I always thought. On that topic, Portland seems obsessed with the image of it being ~weird~ or ~indie~ or ~quirky~
No it started in Austin and used by many. A Portland business man, Terry Curier, saw the slogan when traveling there and used it for a sales promotion. I remember it well.

Dr. Know: Whence the Weird? - Willamette Week

Old 04-04-2018, 04:13 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,248,835 times
Quote:
Philly, maybe in the "hey, we're every bit as relevant as the other east coast cities." Dallas likes to pretend they're a haven for transplants fro mthe northeast and west, when in actuality, most of their residents are from the south, surrounding states or Texas.
No one is pretending that. If you live in AR or OK, where do you think the closest major metro is? If anything, it's Austin that pretends it's flooded with Cali transplants when in actuality most transplants are from the South.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:42 PM

1,059 posts, read 531,947 times
Quote:
Philly, maybe in the "hey, we're every bit as relevant as the other east coast cities." Dallas likes to pretend they're a haven for transplants fro mthe northeast and west, when in actuality, most of their residents are from the south, surrounding states or Texas.
(All of the below is in reference to real-life experiences, not CD. Everyone argues about everything on CD lol.)

You're right on the money about why I perceive Philly that way. It is a great city though and underrated by most of the country due to being in the shadow of the other northeast cities, so to some extent I get it.

For Dallas, its more about the constant need for validation from the rest of the country on a civic level, despite being in a place that has enough merits that I don't understand why they care so much about other people's opinions. Its hard to explain unless you live there, but Dallasites love to compare Dallas to other cities, and then often get upset if you don't agree with their assessment of Dallas. I didn't really get that vibe in Austin, Houston, LA, or DC - you say you dont like something in one of those cities most people just shrug and go on about their business. In Dallas, people will argue you down about why youre wrong about Dallas and just need to get out in the city more and youll see that your criticism is unfounded. Sometimes thats been true, but more often than not - NO, I just don't like _______ about Dallas, despite you trying to convince me I should. Just a very interesting mentality.

Old 04-04-2018, 04:55 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,248,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
(All of the below is in reference to real-life experiences, not CD. Everyone argues about everything on CD lol.)

You're right on the money about why I perceive Philly that way. It is a great city though and underrated by most of the country due to being in the shadow of the other northeast cities, so to some extent I get it.

For Dallas, its more about the constant need for validation from the rest of the country on a civic level, despite being in a place that has enough merits that I don't understand why they care so much about other people's opinions. Its hard to explain unless you live there, but Dallasites love to compare Dallas to other cities, and then often get upset if you don't agree with their assessment of Dallas. I didn't really get that vibe in Austin, Houston, LA, or DC - you say you dont like something in one of those cities most people just shrug and go on about their business. In Dallas, people will argue you down about why youre wrong about Dallas and just need to get out in the city more and youll see that your criticism is unfounded. Sometimes thats been true, but more often than not - NO, I just don't like _______ about Dallas, despite you trying to convince me I should. Just a very interesting mentality.
Re: Dallas -- not in my experience from the under 50 crowd. That seems to be more of a mentality of older residents, especially those who would've been in their 20's during the 1980's (probably back when Dallas literally had a poor image). You can see the difference in mentality between the older and younger members on city council. The legacy of self promotion and immature city comparisons has been passed down to Austin, especially to those in their 20s & 30s today. I've never been to a city that has to constantly remind you how amazing they are or this is what people do here vs. another city. Truly incredible.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
Re: Dallas -- not in my experience from the under 50 crowd. That seems to be more of a mentality of older residents, especially those who would've been in their 20's during the 1980's (probably back when Dallas literally had a poor image). You can see the difference in mentality between the older and younger members on city council. The legacy of self promotion and immature city comparisons has been passed down to Austin, especially to those in their 20s & 30s today. I've never been to a city that has to constantly remind you how amazing they are or this is what people do here vs. another city. Truly incredible.
I very much agree with this actually. It mostly tended to be older people for whatever reason. Maybe since the younger generation grew up in a more mature era for the city, they may be more comfortable with the city not to be as thin-skinned about outsiders perceived flaws of it. Regardless, I didn't change my enjoyment of the city itself though. I had a good time in Dallas.

Very good point. Of all the places I lived, Dallas still seemed to have more people like that though.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:26 PM

3,739 posts, read 1,575,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I know everyone thinks Chicago is a cesspit. I'm not worried.
I actually have a high regard for Chicago. I think the ones who think of Chicago as a "cesspit" rely on stereotypes (not facts), possibly never been there, and think the crime that happens on the south side of the city happens pretty much all over town. IMO, it's the best of America's mega-metros/cities in the country.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:27 PM

3,739 posts, read 1,575,402 times
From my experiences, Los Angeles, San Francisco, and Austin.

Old 04-04-2018, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I actually have a high regard for Chicago. I think the ones who think of Chicago as a "cesspit" rely on stereotypes (not facts), possibly never been there, and think the crime that happens on the south side of the city happens pretty much all over town. IMO, it's the best of America's mega-metros/cities in the country.
I love Chicago. From May through September its my favorite city in the country.

Chicago haters have generally never stepped foot in the place.

Old 04-04-2018, 08:47 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,244,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
I know everyone thinks Chicago is a cesspit. I'm not worried.
Just move already and quit knocking Chicago. Nobody thinks Chicago is a cesspit but you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or