U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 09:13 PM

4,872 posts, read 3,000,080 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Clutch View Post
(All of the below is in reference to real-life experiences, not CD. Everyone argues about everything on CD lol.)

You're right on the money about why I perceive Philly that way. It is a great city though and underrated by most of the country due to being in the shadow of the other northeast cities, so to some extent I get it.

For Dallas, its more about the constant need for validation from the rest of the country on a civic level, despite being in a place that has enough merits that I don't understand why they care so much about other people's opinions. Its hard to explain unless you live there, but Dallasites love to compare Dallas to other cities, and then often get upset if you don't agree with their assessment of Dallas. I didn't really get that vibe in Austin, Houston, LA, or DC - you say you dont like something in one of those cities most people just shrug and go on about their business. In Dallas, people will argue you down about why youre wrong about Dallas and just need to get out in the city more and youll see that your criticism is unfounded. Sometimes thats been true, but more often than not - NO, I just don't like _______ about Dallas, despite you trying to convince me I should. Just a very interesting mentality.
Austinites don't seem to care about anybody but themselves and are VERY anti-growth. The Austin in the 70s is truly weird.

I can't stand Houston weather, but the people seem down to earth and the food can't be beat. LA and DC don't need any validation, their resume kind of speaks for themselves. Dallas is very defensive.

I think Philly has a lot of value and is a big key to the Bo-Wash corridor. It's not NYC, but nobody is. Very cosmopolitan, historical and walkable. A lot to like.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
A number of counties (and cities) in TX voted blue and pro-Dem in 2016 besides Austin, including Harris (Houston), Bexar (San Antonio), and Dallas. It's a complete myth that Austin is the only blue area in the state. And overall, 43% of people voted for the blue. That's no tiny percentage. Even the map below is misleading, because though more counties voted red, the largest counties in terms of population voted blue.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United...in_Texas,_2016
Despite the fact that it's whiter than Bexar, Harris and Dallas county, it had a higher percentage of Hilary voters. It's a little different.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:22 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,241,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Austinites don't seem to care about anybody but themselves and are VERY anti-growth. The Austin in the 70s is truly weird.
It's not the 70's anymore! Austin is Dallas of the 80's without the TV show.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
No one is pretending that. If you live in AR or OK, where do you think the closest major metro is? If anything, it's Austin that pretends it's flooded with Cali transplants when in actuality most transplants are from the South.
I'm sure you remember this:

Dallas County:
Born in state: 55.1%
Born in NE: 2.4%
Born in Midwest: 5.6%
Born elsewhere in South: 8.2%
Born in West: 4.0%
American - Born outside Continental U.S.: 1.1%
Foreign-born: 23.6%

Tarrant County:
Born in NE: 3.6%
Born in Midwest: 8.0%
Born elsewhere in South: 9.6%
Born in West: 6.2%
American - Born outside Continental U.S.: 1.7%
Foreign-born: 15.9%

Travis County:
Born in state: 52.9%
Born in NE: 4.7%
Born in Midwest: 7.7%
Born elsewhere in South: 8.1%
Born in West: 7.2%
American - Born outside Continental U.S.: 1.8%
Foreign-born: 17.5%

Both pull around 8% from the south, Austin has a higher percentage from the west, midwest and northeast. Dallas county has a higher percent of born in state as well.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
It's not the 70's anymore! Austin is Dallas of the 80's without the TV show.
When did I say it was the 70s? I said Austin in the 70s was truly weird. Yep, it's closer to Dallas now, only liberal.

Old 04-04-2018, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Despite the fact that it's whiter than Bexar, Harris and Dallas county, it had a higher percentage of Hilary voters. It's a little different.
Dallas County includes more than just the city of Dallas.....

Old 04-04-2018, 09:40 PM

Quote:
I'm sure you remember this:

Dallas County:
Born in NE: 2.4%
Born in Midwest: 5.6%
Born elsewhere in South: 8.2%
Born in West: 4.0%
American - Born outside Continental U.S.: 1.1%
Foreign-born: 23.6%

Tarrant County:
Born in NE: 3.6%
Born in Midwest: 8.0%
Born elsewhere in South: 9.6%
Born in West: 6.2%
American - Born outside Continental U.S.: 1.7%
Foreign-born: 15.9%

Travis County:
Born in state: 52.9%
Born in NE: 4.7%
Born in Midwest: 7.7%
Born elsewhere in South: 8.1%
Born in West: 7.2%
American - Born outside Continental U.S.: 1.8%
Foreign-born: 17.5%

Both pull around 8% from the south, Austin has a higher percentage from the west, midwest and northeast. Dallas county has a higher percent of born in state as well.
County vs. county, yes. But it doesn't tell you about city proper vs. city proper. Fort Worth is the county seat of Tarrant but no one in their right mind would claim that Fort Worth has more people from the northeast (or domestic transplants in general) than Dallas. But the northeastern suburbs of Tarrant County (closest to DFW Airport) do. No one posted the stats from Collin County, but I would imagine a similar story. Dallas is a bit odd in that it's a bit deceiving looking at Dallas County as a whole, but breaking it down to the city level is a different story. Dallas County still has large suburbs such as Mesquite and Grand Prairie and I highly doubt they're receiving many transplants.

Old 04-05-2018, 12:40 AM

5,633 posts, read 6,106,230 times
I would say Austin and Nashville. Atlanta use to be insecure but over the last 5 to 10 years, they quote less "we are great" news articles and more we are Atlanta take it or leave it.

NYC and Chicago are two cities who are comfortable in their own and they should be.

St Louis needs some self esteem. Great place to live but never broadcast its positives and constantly wears its problems on its sleeves for the world to see.

Old 04-05-2018, 04:12 AM

29,949 posts, read 27,441,480 times
I think this is mostly true of Sunbelt cities because they feel the need to prove themselves in the face of criticism (some deserved, some not) coming from more established (Northern) cities.

Old 04-05-2018, 06:07 AM

2,148 posts, read 1,437,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I think this is mostly true of Sunbelt cities because they feel the need to prove themselves in the face of criticism (some deserved, some not) coming from more established (Northern) cities.

I can agree with this and you have a valid point.. I would also have to say I feel as though Atlanta is a tad bit Insecure of other Booming and on the Rise Southern Cities stealing it's shine as well. It has long been the It city for Blacks to move to for a few decades now and seems to not want to Share the shine in general in the Southeastern United states.. It does seem to stay in it's place when compared to say Miami or the big Texas Cities, which in a way aren't in the general area...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or