Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 10:12 AM

38 posts, read 35,921 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
There still aren't enough details as to what to look for, other than probably northern states. What line of work? What city size range? Without that, I'll just throw out Spokane, Salem (OR), Boise, Boston.
I work in healthcare, I'm preferably looking for a city with 500,000+ (or at least a sizeable metro to compensate for something around/above 2.5mil ish). I'm also a student looking to transfer (STEM Major-healthcare related). Also a musician - music scene is a must. A bit of a recluse which is why I prefer a more, extroverted city - but it doesn't have to be NYC/LA/SF where everyone is looking for an excuse to throw their personality in your face.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 10:41 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nottylerdurden View Post
I work in healthcare, I'm preferably looking for a city with 500,000+ (or at least a sizeable metro to compensate for something around/above 2.5mil ish). I'm also a student looking to transfer (STEM Major-healthcare related). Also a musician - music scene is a must. A bit of a recluse which is why I prefer a more, extroverted city - but it doesn't have to be NYC/LA/SF where everyone is looking for an excuse to throw their personality in your face.
That definitely helps. A strong music scene will point to very specific places. I'm a musician too, and value a "music scene". Beyond Austin and the cities you mentioned, the only other ones that come to mind are Nashville and Chicago. TN is favorable to me, and people there are friendly and down-to-earth. You might have to stretch your assumptions and preferences a bit to find the ideal next home. I've had my share of cultural weirdness in places, but have found TN to be relaxed.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Beyond Austin and the cities you mentioned, the only other ones that come to mind are Nashville and Chicago.
Yeah, I love Chicago but the cold and lack of natural attractions - not to mention the difficulties owning a vehicle, really turn me off about living there. I've looked into Nashville, and it seems really awesome. Definitely glad it was mentioned so I have the idea in my head again. How "big city" does it feel? I plan on visiting this summer.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:22 AM

11,085 posts, read 7,149,943 times
Nashville has a big city feel, without excessiveness. It's got the necessary life and activity, but doesn't stretch for miles and miles like NYC or Chicago.

Old 04-04-2018, 11:23 AM

14,353 posts, read 17,022,283 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
Pittsburgh.
Hrrm...I'm not sure I'd say that Pittsburgh is a friendly city, but it's certainly easier to make friends here than Minneapolis (or where I grew up in New England). I mean, I'm married with kids now and settled down, but within six months of moving here back in...2005...I had three good friends, an active social life, and a better dating life than I had ever had before.

Old 04-04-2018, 12:14 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschaton View Post
Hrrm...I'm not sure I'd say that Pittsburgh is a friendly city, but it's certainly easier to make friends here than Minneapolis (or where I grew up in New England). I mean, I'm married with kids now and settled down, but within six months of moving here back in...2005...I had three good friends, an active social life, and a better dating life than I had ever had before.
Could you tell us your experience with Minneapolis? How long you lived there, etc?

Old 04-04-2018, 12:38 PM

Minneapolis would be damn near perfect if it wasn't for the completely closed off people and winter

Old 04-04-2018, 12:55 PM

1,349 posts, read 1,707,420 times
Minnesota Deserves his reputation as being hard for outsiders to feel welcome. I’m a bit surprised at Minneapolis suffers from the same condition though because there’s lots of younger people and transplants in many of the vibrant neighborhoods where I would think it be easier to make connections in the city than living in the suburbs or Outstate communities.

Old 04-04-2018, 01:05 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minnesota Deserves his reputation as being hard for outsiders to feel welcome. I’m a bit surprised at Minneapolis suffers from the same condition though because there’s lots of younger people and transplants in many of the vibrant neighborhoods where I would think it be easier to make connections in the city than living in the suburbs or Outstate communities.
Most of the people in MN live in the Twin Cities metro area.

Old 04-04-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by vibrant communities. A lot of neighborhoods appear dead, the only vibrance you'll see is around the lakes where people are afraid to make friends. There's tons of good looking communities with almost unparalleled greenery and water, but as a youngster transplant you'll be bored or lonely quickly. To people from rural WI/MN it might seem vibrant, but once you're living here it dulls out quickly
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.