U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 03:54 PM

87,016 posts, read 102,663,662 times

Advertisements

^^I don't think it's worth five years to just "give it a chance". No place is that worth it. It sounds like the OP has no particular ties to Minneapolis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 07:35 PM

38 posts, read 20,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
I don't think it's a regional thing. I really think this moving in with parents after college or having one foot in your hometown after college while living somewhere else isn't conducive to making friends in a new town. And parents over scheduling their kids means socializing with parents is pretty much out these days.

I think that's the exception rather than the rule. Even taking classes is still often a shot in the dark trying to make friends. Same with clubs. People under the age of about 50 don't seem to join clubs anymore. We live in a very child centric society now.

I'd say give a place five years before you start looking elsewhere due to no social life.
I'm not sure where you're getting ideas of having one foot in a hometown and one elsewhere, or parents activities involving their children. I have very little connection to my parents (I see them during the holidays, that's it)and never moved back in with them.

I'm also not interested in spending half a decade to figure out whether or not I like a particular place. Regions do gave particular social atmospheres and I've made friends spending two days in Denver, or Portland, or SF, but in MPLS I've had little luck after 2 years of being involved in social activities.

Regarding your comment on the youth, honestly you just sound like a bit of a grumpy old timer. No offense.

Old 04-05-2018, 07:37 PM

I'm liking what I'm seeing in Nashville just still a bit hesitant with the south. Denver sounds cool but a lacking music scene really is a deal breaker.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:04 PM

1,291 posts, read 1,127,812 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
Most of the people in MN live in the Twin Cities metro area.
Yeah I know. I live there. But the burbs are very different from the city

Old 04-05-2018, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nottylerdurden View Post
I'm not sure what you mean by vibrant communities. A lot of neighborhoods appear dead, the only vibrance you'll see is around the lakes where people are afraid to make friends. There's tons of good looking communities with almost unparalleled greenery and water, but as a youngster transplant you'll be bored or lonely quickly. To people from rural WI/MN it might seem vibrant, but once you're living here it dulls out quickly
Uptown, North Loop, Northeast etc.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:10 PM

OP I think you have a point in general about MN but something about your posts makes me think the reserved nature of MN people may bristle at your honestly and critical nature.

I’m saying this as someone who’s often too honest and critical.

Old 04-05-2018, 08:47 PM

1,203 posts, read 880,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JanND View Post
OP I know what you are talking about. You have to experience it to understand

It is a regional thing....and the same in a lot of the upper Midwest. Wonderful, salt of the earth people....but very closed off to folks they don't know.

I moved up here in 81....from my home state of Calif. it does take many years, and I had in-laws and a connection through marriage.

Happy hunting for your next home area.
Agreed. It is definitely a regional thing. Part of it is the relatively low percentage of transplants compared to similar sized metros. A lot of the locals still hang out with people they've known their whole lives. Cities with more transplants have more people who are looking to make new friends. Part of it is a generally less outgoing upper midwest culture.

I still made a few good friends when I lived there, but most were other transplants. I left after 3 years, and I think other cities I've lived have been easier to meet some new people. Most of my friends in the Twin Cities have left over the last decade. The one still there says his wife and him try to get their neighbors to come over some time for a beer or to watch a game, and they always decline in a 'Minnesota Nice' kind of way.

Old 04-05-2018, 09:21 PM

6,566 posts, read 10,287,257 times
Quote:
I figured it was a rarity or an exaggeration, still, I don't think I'd like to tolerate Austin's summer. I've checked the climate norms and they're pretty daunting. It does seem like a cool place to hang out though.
I don't know how Nashville is with regard to climate, but the Texas Triangle blows. You'd be trading crappy winters for equally long and crappy summers. The average high in Austin is 90 or above from early June 'til the middle of September. Also, don't let anybody BS you into thinking that because Austin isn't as humid as Houston or Corpus that it's dry. It's not. Dew points in the 60s and 70s are common from May 'til October/November.

Austin isn't cheap, either, and the traffic there is horrendous.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:08 PM

7,745 posts, read 9,047,244 times
Quote:
I'm not sure where you're getting ideas of having one foot in a hometown and one elsewhere, or parents activities involving their children. I have very little connection to my parents (I see them during the holidays, that's it)and never moved back in with them.

I'm also not interested in spending half a decade to figure out whether or not I like a particular place. Regions do gave particular social atmospheres and I've made friends spending two days in Denver, or Portland, or SF, but in MPLS I've had little luck after 2 years of being involved in social activities.

Regarding your comment on the youth, honestly you just sound like a bit of a grumpy old timer. No offense.
This is what I've observed. In the states I've lived in I've observed these things with hometown loyalty and with kids. I know not EVERYONE matches these descriptions, but it seems common. Again, just my observations. I've not been able to find many people where I've lived who want to venture out of their own social circle and my attempts at joining clubs have not worked out. The old timer comment made me laugh. I'm sure I do sound like that at times. I'm definitely not an old timer. I'm at that stage where I'm too old to go bar hopping but too young to play bingo.

Old 04-05-2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Uptown, North Loop, Northeast etc.
I can walk around uptown on a friday night at 10 without speaking to a single soul, not so much as need to brush shoulders or say "excuse me"

The streets are dead, the bars are full of yuppies. It's a shame. Northeast is kind of overrated IMO, and north loop i've seen a whole lot of nothing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or