U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-04-2018, 02:37 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mvpsharky View Post
Rhode Island is in the process of changing the exit numbers to reflect mileage to the next exit

Think MD, PA, and Jersey do (not sure on DE)

except the Jersey Turnpike for some reason
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-04-2018, 03:17 PM

6,490 posts, read 16,173,766 times
Yeah the "old way" of numbering exits sequentially has been reversed in many places. Some remaining exceptions include:
NJ Turnpike
NYS Thruway
Many of the parkways in NYS
Merritt/Wilbur Cross pkwys in CT

Old 04-24-2018, 07:25 PM

82 posts, read 33,226 times
Most states have mileage-based exit numbers now. As of now, the statewide holdouts are Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont. CT and RI are in the (slow) process of exit renumbering. MA was supposed to have done it in 2016 and 2017, but it’s on hold for the forseeable future.

As far as mileage signs, every state does its own thing. In NY and CT, most of the I-95 exits are closely spaced. Most other highways I have traveled on have mileage signs to various cities when they are in suburban or rural areas. Some areas like NJ are updating all their signage, so maybe in the future there will be mileage signs added.

Last edited by Roadwarriors79; 04-24-2018 at 07:35 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 12:04 PM

4,247 posts, read 9,727,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadwarriors79 View Post
Most states have mileage-based exit numbers now. As of now, the statewide holdouts are Connecticut, Delaware, Massachusetts, New Hampshire, New York, Rhode Island, and Vermont.
I-99 in New York currently has mile-numbered exits. Of course, that's two towns in Steuben County, but nevertheless a start.

Old 04-25-2018, 05:59 PM

9,444 posts, read 18,359,292 times
Massachusetts has fairly frequent mileage signs on most of its highways. Generally you'll see a mileage sign that indicates a city in the next state (Concord, NH, Providence, Albany).

If one happens to be on a long haul journey west on I-90, this sign in Becket, MA indicates it's at the highest elevation (1724 feet) on the interstate until you hit Oacoma, South Dakota.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.2449...7i13312!8i6656

Last edited by Desert_SW_77; 04-25-2018 at 06:16 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 10:19 PM

3,067 posts, read 2,112,192 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
For those who live in one of these states (NJ, NY, CT, RI), is this just an I-95 thing, or does your state just not bother posting this type of sign?
I can't give you an exact frequency, but along I-90 in upstate NY (I'm most familiar with the westernmost portion, from the PA line to say Syracuse), there are a decent number of mileage signs. They tend to list the distance to the next 'major' upstate city, the distance to Albany, and the distance to NYC. I think that the same goes for I-390 and I-86...been a while since I've been on either, but I recall them having 'standard' mileage signs. I-95 is apparently the outlier

Old 04-26-2018, 09:18 AM

1,559 posts, read 1,054,345 times
On the Jersey turnpike there are small mile markers on the side of the road. Exit 4 for Philly is @ mile marker 30. The NYC exits start @ mile marker 100.

NJTP used to have larger toll cards that listed the mileage to different exits and to rest stops. They did away with them a long time ago in favor of the small toll cards that only tell the toll.

Old 04-26-2018, 09:54 AM

56,217 posts, read 54,678,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bus man View Post
Last week I drove from Baltimore to Providence on I-95, thus spanning almost the entirety of the Northeast Corridor. This was the first time I've done this drive in a long time, though some things haven't changed any; the New Jersey Turnpike is still big; New York's traffic is still insane; Connecticut's road conditions still stink; etc.

But one thing really struck me: if you wanted to know how far you were from the next minor city and the following major city up the line, you were out of luck. Maryland and Delaware do a decent job of posting mileage signs, but then . . . nothing. From the moment I crossed the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Jersey until I pulled off the highway in downtown Providence (a distance of 300 miles), I saw exactly ONE mileage sign. It was located at the Connecticut state line, and it told me how far I was from Stamford and Bridgeport . . . not exactly the biggest cities in the region. It didn't list Boston; heck, it didn't even list New Haven, the next city with an interstate junction. (The sign wasn't even formatted properly, according to federal regulations; but that's a rant for another forum.)

So how come the nation's busiest and arguably most important highway, in the geographic epicenter of its most populous section, has almost no signs telling people how far they are to the various cities up the line? For those who live in one of these states (NJ, NY, CT, RI), is this just an I-95 thing, or does your state just not bother posting this type of sign?
Never thought about it. There are mileage signs on other highways and roads in NJ, so it's not a state thing, but you are right--I don't think there are any on the NJ Turnpike.

Maybe because when you are on roads that congested, time means more than miles? The NJ Turnpike Authority runs both the Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway, and those roads both have electronic signs telling you HOW LONG it will be to get to certain exits or to New York City via the different access routes.

That last part might be a clue. Look at the geography. New York City runs to the east alongside the northern half of NJ an you have to cross water to get to it. If you get off the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Jersey, how many miles is it to NYC?

That's not an easy answer. Technically, the shortest distance would be over the Outerbridge Crossing and into Staten Island, but how many people are thinking SI when they are driving to NYC?

The next shortest distance to NYC would be the Goethals, also to SI, but if you want to go to Manhattan, the first access is the Holland Tunnel, followed by the Lincoln Tunnel. However, chances are you will be able to cross into NYC a lot faster over the George Washington Bridge, 15 miles or so north.

Old 04-26-2018, 10:35 AM

5,703 posts, read 3,662,134 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
That last part might be a clue. Look at the geography. New York City runs to the east alongside the northern half of NJ an you have to cross water to get to it. If you get off the Delaware Memorial Bridge into New Jersey, how many miles is it to NYC?

That's not an easy answer. Technically, the shortest distance would be over the Outerbridge Crossing and into Staten Island, but how many people are thinking SI when they are driving to NYC?

The next shortest distance to NYC would be the Goethals, also to SI, but if you want to go to Manhattan, the first access is the Holland Tunnel, followed by the Lincoln Tunnel. However, chances are you will be able to cross into NYC a lot faster over the George Washington Bridge, 15 miles or so north.
You bring up a good point. There is indeed more than one way to get to New York City when heading north on the New Jersey Turnpike; and there is the question of where, exactly, in New York the signs should be counting down to.

The second issue is addressed by the federal regulations that apply to mileage signs. Contrary to popular belief, the point shown on the signs is not the city limits. Instead, it should be "A well-defined central area or central business district" if such a place exists in the city being listed. For New York, this would certainly be someplace in Manhattan, either Downtown or Midtown. I recall reading someplace that Columbus Circle is the exact location that is the point to which the mileage signs should count down. So, if this is true, the first issue would be addressed by figuring out which would be the primary route that one would normally use (given normal traffic conditions) to get from the New Jersey Turnpike to Columbus Circle. I would assume it would be Route 3 to the Lincoln Tunnel, but I don't know that for sure.

Old 04-26-2018, 12:52 PM

22,341 posts, read 32,197,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
Never thought about it. There are mileage signs on other highways and roads in NJ, so it's not a state thing, but you are right--I don't think there are any on the NJ Turnpike.

Maybe because when you are on roads that congested, time means more than miles? The NJ Turnpike Authority runs both the Turnpike and the Garden State Parkway, and those roads both have electronic signs telling you HOW LONG it will be to get to certain exits or to New York City via the different access routes.

there is probably no less than 7 exits for NYC (10 to 18 with some a,b etc exits 11 and 12 don't truly lead to a road into NYC but the others do) access from the NJTP and at least 3 (6 (will become the new 95 to link with the old 95 in PA), 4, & 3) for Philly

technically the closest actual city borders of NYC and Philly are 46 miles apart as the crow flies (NE Philly to SW Staten Island

with exception of exits 2, 5, 8, 9 all NJTP exits lead to NYC, Philly, Wilmington DE, Newark NJ, or Trenton NJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or