U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 09:51 PM

17,662 posts, read 4,058,482 times

Advertisements

i know you didnt list this state but my fav state in the west would be Texas ie West Texas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 07:45 AM

3,078 posts, read 2,111,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
ABQ isn't for me. SLC maybe. Colorado Springs is too stroller moms/white/military for my taste.
Actually, Colo Spgs has a more racially diverse population than Denver, percentage wise. Its just that comparing 465k to 2.5m means gross numbers overwhelm the comparison. A good part of this diversity is the result of the military presence here. We have joint base operations with Canadian Armed Forces. We also have a sizable population of expat Germans and Koreans who have opened bakeries, restraunts and cafes that add to the local fabric. We lack the size and scope of tech found in Nor CO, we still have enough of it here to attract talent from CA and MA who bring their unique east/west coast views and tastes. While there are large evangelical organizations headquartered on the north side of the city, the central and west sides tend to lean much more liberal and funky. Next door Manitou Springs is probably the only place in America where coffin races are held every Halloween and a fruit cake toss follows every holiday season.

While our proximity to significant ski resorts is not on par with SLC, we have a large amount of outdoor activities that are nearby. We also have a definite international flair with two major international events held on Pikes Peak - the Pikes Peak Ascent for runners and the Pikes Peak Hillclimb for automobiles. Add in the continual training going on at the Olympic Training Center and a large number of Olympic governing bodies in town, and we almost always have a visiting team from another country coming here to mix it up with US athletes who may be staying here for training. The Air Force Academy, Colorado College, and CU Cos all have high performing sports organizations that complete nationally and regularly bring top level competitors into town as well.

Colo Spgs has been a tourist and health destination for nearly all its existence. It is a great base to explore CO and the rest of the west. The military has brought in nearly bulletproof communications infrastructure for the region. Frontier Airlines continues to add more and more destiantions with direct flights out of COS. We are within a few hours of nearly anywhere in CO to include the eastern plains, western mountains, and the hustle of Denver when you want it.

Overall not a bad place to live if you have a job that aligns with the local economy or you can bring a remote job with you.

Old 04-10-2018, 11:19 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,640,688 times
In a nutshell to me, assuming you can find a job in CO Springs, it's a better city than Denver because COL (you can actually get a decent house being middle class) and flat out better natural setting more than make up for the lack of urban stuff, strange characters, and further distance to I 70.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:38 PM

513 posts, read 340,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I lived in Arizona for 7 years and loved exploring all throughout New Mexico and tying into what you said, while the state is huge, I think 5th largest, it's population is just over 2 million, making it 45th in population density. Because of its lower population, as compared to UT, CO and AZ, it makes it definitely feel different than those states, even though it shares many of the same physical attributes as those states. I think of New Mexico as a hidden gem.

I have been doing the same, going first to the less popular places, southern New Mexico rather than northern, southern Arizona rather than northern, and southwestern Colorado rather than Denver. No traffic, beautiful spaces, low cost, remote.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:45 PM

5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
Not Colorado, at least based on what I've encountered. I even wrote a blog about it:

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...-colorado.html

Old 04-16-2018, 12:47 PM

3,078 posts, read 2,111,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
Not Colorado, at least based on what I've encountered. I even wrote a blog about it:

http://www.city-data.com/blogs/blog4...-colorado.html
Many of your complaints about Colorado, which should be retitled "Why I hate Ft Collins CO", are similarly found in nearly all western states to a lesser or greater degree. Except for major river valleys in the PNW and the Sierras and irrigated points west in CA, most of the west is a considerably dry environment with large numbers of transplanted people with varying degrees of sophistication.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.