U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-08-2018, 02:30 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,784,753 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
I'm pretty sure Hong Kong and Singapore are the most expensive
https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...isco/hong-kong

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...isco/singapore

Though Zurich is comparable:

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-l...ancisco/zurich
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-08-2018, 05:52 PM

18,927 posts, read 6,889,772 times
How was that determined exactly?

From what I've read, it costs a mint just to own a family car in Singapore, which is purposely done to discourage car ownership

I've also heard that Melbourne and Sydney are near the top in terms of COL as well

Old 04-08-2018, 09:46 PM

6,800 posts, read 11,784,753 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
How was that determined exactly?

From what I've read, it costs a mint just to own a family car in Singapore, which is purposely done to discourage car ownership

I've also heard that Melbourne and Sydney are near the top in terms of COL as well
You don't need a car to live in San Francisco, Hong Kong, or Singapore

How about another one?

http://infographicjournal.com/20-of-...-in-the-world/

Well, Hamilton, Bermuda has SF beat by a little.. but Singapore and Hong Kong still lag behind. I've not been to Singapore but was in Hong Kong recently, the cost of food and public transportation are a joke compared to SF prices.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:02 AM

3,779 posts, read 2,566,285 times
As a standalone city yes, but Manhattan has double the population.

If you were to take the wealthiest neighborhoods in Manhattan up until an amount of San Francisco you'd have a much more expensive city of the sams size.

Considering the Bay Area is the wealthiest area in the country it'd naturally be the most expensive.

Old 04-09-2018, 09:59 AM

5,734 posts, read 5,120,260 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
It also seems that SF is more expensive aside from housing. From what Iíve seen, food, clothing, medical care, gas, and mass transit are all more expensive in SF than NYC. So even if housing costs are a wash, the other prices give SF a higher COL.
I see it as the opposite. Both are expensive in all categories, but from my experience of living in NYC and traveling to San Fran via work or pleasure, my receipts says otherwise.

Gas vs mass transit is tough because a higher percentage of New Yorkers don't own a car, but gas is also higher in CA than NY.

Even when I check the internet I don't see any sites that put SF as the more expensive city, New York usually leads the pack for the US.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:27 PM

22,173 posts, read 23,698,700 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Why should Manhattan Be compared to SF if Manhattan isnít even a city?
It's hard to do a perfect apples to apples comparison, but one argument can be that Manhattan functions for NYC and the Tri-State Area in a similar way to how San Francisco does for the Bay Area.

Old 04-13-2018, 03:47 PM

520 posts, read 347,026 times
Probably. They have permanently embraced rent control and a ban on building in the Avenues, sealing their fate. (Former resident here).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or