Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2018, 01:12 PM

9,379 posts, read 9,331,923 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
Why should Manhattan Be compared to SF if Manhattan isn’t even a city?
Because comparing all of New York City to San Fran is an unrealistic comparison and its not as simple as saying San Fran is more expensive, because you aren't taking into account the sheer mass of New York.

But if makes people in San Fran feel better comparing it to all of New York, then whatever, no skin off my back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2018, 01:14 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpomp View Post
Because comparing all of New York City to San Fran is an unrealistic comparison and its not as simple as saying San Fran is more expensive, because you aren't taking into account the sheer mass of New York.

But if makes people in San Fran feel better comparing it to all of New York, then whatever, no skin off my back.
I feel like this logic only exist because NYC is the only major city that has the term Boros which are divided into islands.

If this were a comparison of San Fran vs LA or San Fran vs Chicago, two cities that also have much larger city limits than SF, how would you compare them?

Btw the land size of LA is larger than NYC!

Old 04-05-2018, 01:16 PM

21,618 posts, read 31,197,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
The 5 boroughs are NYC so there isn’t really a “because”.

The term “the city” just refers to Manhattan being the headquarters of NYC! It’s city limit vs city limit. San Fran just happens to be smaller. Comparing a county or a borough to a city is apples and oranges!
Eh, an apples to apples comparison here would really be to include Oakland etc. The geographical boundaries of each city are so different that it’s reLly tough to compare city to city.

A good friend who moved from Chelsea to SF raved about the relative bargain. I just laughed.

Old 04-05-2018, 01:19 PM

3,559 posts, read 2,398,714 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidyankee764 View Post
Eh, an apples to apples comparison here would really be to include Oakland etc. The geographical boundaries of each city are so different that it’s reLly tough to compare city to city.

A good friend who moved from Chelsea to SF raved about the relative bargain. I just laughed.
San Fran is a small city in square miles. Many cities are much larger than SF in that department.

So would we have to cut LA, Houston in half to compare to them or only compare the North Side of Chicago?

Old 04-05-2018, 01:42 PM

6,772 posts, read 4,515,450 times
As a city, I'd have to look into my most recent stats. But if it's not the most expensive, it's 2 or 3. But as a metro area, it's hands down the most expensive. Not even close.

Old 04-05-2018, 10:58 PM

5,521 posts, read 8,767,316 times
It also seems that SF is more expensive aside from housing. From what I’ve seen, food, clothing, medical care, gas, and mass transit are all more expensive in SF than NYC. So even if housing costs are a wash, the other prices give SF a higher COL.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:46 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
I think Urban area or metro populations are much better than "City" basically every place I've ever been reaffirms this belief very few cities "End at the border" It either happens before or after. City limits are a mostly arbitrary imaginary line.

Under different political circumstances Oakland could be a separate borough of a "Bay City" just as had things worked out differently Brooklyn could have remained an independent city.

Old 04-06-2018, 06:49 AM

4,001 posts, read 3,263,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by citylove101 View Post
It also seems that SF is more expensive aside from housing. From what I’ve seen, food, clothing, medical care, gas, and mass transit are all more expensive in SF than NYC. So even if housing costs are a wash, the other prices give SF a higher COL.
I don't live in either, but as a tourist, basic stuff seems more expensive in NYC to me, with the exception that the NYC subway is cheaper I think, but by a trivial amount.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:15 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,479,950 times
Quote:
Is San Francisco most expensive city in the world ?
Fixed. Yes.

Old 04-08-2018, 02:25 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,596,838 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragnarkar View Post
Fixed. Yes.
I'm pretty sure Hong Kong and Singapore are the most expensive
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.