U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2018, 09:01 AM

4,989 posts, read 7,304,731 times

Advertisements

Philly sports fans actually take pride that they are violent and drunk when it comes to their sports teams winning/losing. They're super intense and that's cool for town pride, but it will come to blows waaaaay too quickly and it's like bro, calm down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2018, 09:04 AM

1,593 posts, read 831,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by march2 View Post
I disagree that higher taxes are the reason in the overwhelming majority of these cases. A higher tax burden makes the dollar weaker (ie buying power), raises housing costs, less affordable housing, more taxes to subsidize this problem, leading to a higher tax burden for everyone..... and so it goes. Too, more times than not, these social "safety nets" become lifestyles by its recipients, only perpetuating their plight. Keeps them from being homeless, yet still dependent on government, setting up a built in voting constituency being the ultimate goal. I'm living in Massachusetts now and the return per tax dollar is ridiculous. The affluent Cape Cod village my parents-in-law live in don't even have sidewalks. Trying to get road work done for drainage issue has been like pulling teeth. Highway rest stops are almost nonexistent. Health Care, from my and my family's experience, here on the Cape is the least good of any place I've ever lived (including metros in the South. So, that higher taxes is a banner of pride is a bit laughable.
The Cape is also far different than most of the rest of Massachusetts. It's basically a tourist area the population probably at least doubles between Memorial Day and Columbus Day. Some people retire to their Cape House, there's very little industry outside of tourism, there are no 4 year colleges. It's one of 2 area's in the state losing population, (Berkshires being the other)

Old 04-06-2018, 09:26 AM

1,017 posts, read 1,036,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimusPrime69 View Post
Philly sports fans actually take pride that they are violent and drunk when it comes to their sports teams winning/losing. They're super intense and that's cool for town pride, but it will come to blows waaaaay too quickly and it's like bro, calm down.
I live in Philly. I love this town more than I can say. Yes, we care. Yes, we can get to (or beyond) the point to being stupid about it. But the average fan isn't a drunken, violent buffoon. Those idiots make for good TV (go to YouTube for scenes after our glorious victory over the Evil Empire), but the average fan is not "that guy." And even a cursory look at Google search term "number of arrests after super bowl li" and "number of arrests after super bowl lii" shows that although we did have our share of knuckleheads doing senseless things, there were fewer arrests than after other recent Super Bowls.

Old 04-07-2018, 05:46 AM

5,682 posts, read 8,752,084 times
You can buy a bumper sticker that says "Keep Knoxville Scruffy". Is that what you are talking about?

Old 04-07-2018, 10:59 AM

21,699 posts, read 23,651,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeksitter View Post
You can buy a bumper sticker that says "Keep Knoxville Scruffy". Is that what you are talking about?
I love that.

Old 04-07-2018, 11:27 AM

1,290 posts, read 1,123,930 times
Minneapolis has fully tried to embrace the brutal winters. The new tag line is ‘The Bold North.’

Old 04-07-2018, 11:41 AM

7,728 posts, read 6,134,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr roboto View Post
Minneapolis has fully tried to embrace the brutal winters. The new tag line is ‘The Bold North.’
That's not a negative quality, but rather embracing the natural conditions of its geographic location.

embracing a negative quality would be like how New Yorkers embrace the stereotype of being "rude" or "in your face," or aggressive.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:46 PM

4,100 posts, read 4,730,726 times
Any city with a prevalent hip-hop culture takes pride in its negative qualities.

Old 04-07-2018, 03:52 PM

11,456 posts, read 6,571,690 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrooklynJo View Post
New Yorkers will defend every bad quality of the city just because it’s NEW YORK!

While we have some stuff to celebrate about since the city is pretty dominant and has improved so much over the past few decades and is healthy, we still have a ton of QOL and COL issues that need to be addressed!
I find that New Yorkers complain about some of those issues a lot, though.

Old 04-09-2018, 12:46 PM

7,130 posts, read 9,899,963 times
Default Cities that Pride it's self off of it's Negative Qualities

Quote:
Originally Posted by oobanks View Post
Hello we know them, those Cites that are known and somewhat Prides it's self off of it's Negative qualities/image. The Big Cities of the Northeast, Midwest and West have been know for them for years and we know what those Qualities are. Bad Traffic, high crime rates, Urban grime, Graffiti, etc. It's a sense of headache and trouble for most but for some reason most Cities don't feel as though they have arrived unless they have these things being that it gives it a sense of Big City pride and sad to say some Cities pride themselves as the unsaid word of progress and growth once they have these things whether they want to admit it or not. On the flip side of that you have those qualities that some Cities don't want in there name sake, and hate for you to bring them up.. This can all go by region as well. What Cities seem to pride themselves the most off of these negative qualities, what are these qualities, maybe some I haven't thought of. What are the qualities that some Cities want to avoid all together even though they exist?
How about "The city that never sleeps".

When you think about it, doesn't that sound exhausting? A endless revolving on-the-go city life that never slows down. But somehow that sounds like a good thing to people.

It must be exciting to live in Manhattan and to hear horns honking and fire engine & ambulance sirens shrieking 3am in the morning.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or