U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-07-2018, 11:18 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,550 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4141

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Is Medford in the Pacific Northwest?

Medford's summer highs are in the 90's, it gets about half the rain Redding does (18 in. vs. 35 in.), and about the same amount of snow.
There is no question Medford is in the PNW, but it offers a climate that is significantly different from the rest of Western Oregon. The "feel" is generally NW, but the weather would remind one of Northern California. The climate is more similar to Redding than Eugene. That said, Redding feels more CA than OR, and Medford feels more OR than CA. Kind of hard to explain, but if you have spent much time in either, you know what I am talking about.

Bonus: There is an "In 'n Out" in Medford, that with one just a half hour north in Grants Pass are the only existing In 'n Out's in the Northwest.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-07-2018, 11:29 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,940 posts, read 7,596,851 times
Reputation: 9263
Unlike the PNW, even in the most stormy, precipitation heavy years, Northern California always has the break of several sunny days between each storm. Whereas in the western PNW the sky will stay gray rainy or at list drizzling for weeks on end sometimes with few sunny breaks until July 3rd. The western 2/3 of both Oregon and Washington though are dry as (NE) NoCa, but colder.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 11:35 PM
 
Location: Western Asia
3,187 posts, read 1,443,736 times
Reputation: 2524
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
Would you say that Northern California cities like San Francisco and Sacramento have some similarities to the PNW, especially in terms of nature.
Definitely by Eureka and northward near the coast it's getting like the PNW and also north of Redding is starting to look like the PNW.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 11:37 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,550 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4141
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Unlike the PNW, even in the most stormy, precipitation heavy years, Northern California always has the break of several sunny days between each storm. Whereas in the western PNW the sky will stay gray rainy or at list drizzling for weeks on end sometimes with few sunny breaks until July 3rd. The western 2/3 of both Oregon and Washington though are dry as (NE) NoCa, but colder.
That is quite a generalization, though on average, you are correct there are fewer sunnier days. The generalization is that the PNW has "few sunny breaks until July 3rd". Just not true. While the winter climate is generally cloudy in this region, it is not entirely cloudy, and in fact does offer sunshine in between storms. (Perhaps not to the extent of NoCal, but the generalization is mostly off base.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 11:52 PM
 
Location: South Park, San Diego
4,940 posts, read 7,596,851 times
Reputation: 9263
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
That is quite a generalization, though on average, you are correct there are fewer sunnier days. The generalization is that the PNW has "few sunny breaks until July 3rd". Just not true. While the winter climate is generally cloudy in this region, it is not entirely cloudy, and in fact does offer sunshine in between storms. (Perhaps not to the extent of NoCal, but the generalization is mostly off base.)
Well I’m just speaking from personal experience having been born in the PNW and lived for 20 years in NoCa with frequent visits over the last 40 years back up there because of my family connections, and with constant viewing of the weather there on my iPhone.

Yeah, the PNW gets sunny spells between storms in the winter but they are far more infrequent and more spaced out with drizzly gray days far more the norm on weeks on end there whereas in NoCa it’s more waves of storms with guaranteed sunny spells in between through the winter. I know very well the eastern 2/3 of Washington, my cousin was a lead engineer on the Grand Coulee Dam for years back in the day and have also visited that region often.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 12:15 AM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,550 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4141
Quote:
Originally Posted by T. Damon View Post
Well Im just speaking from personal experience having been born in the PNW and lived for 20 years in NoCa with frequent visits over the last 40 years back up there because of my family connections, and with constant viewing of the weather there on my iPhone.

Yeah, the PNW gets sunny spells between storms in the winter but they are far more infrequent and more spaced out with drizzly gray days far more the norm on weeks on end there whereas in NoCa its more waves of storms with guaranteed sunny spells in between through the winter. I know very well the eastern 2/3 of Washington, my cousin was a lead engineer on the Grand Coulee Dam for years back in the day and have also visited that region often.
"far more infrequent and more spaced out". True. I can't argue with that.

I just think there is a stereotype that is it all gloom and doom all winter long, which isn't true.

Of course, there are differences between Western and Eastern Washington. I am sure you are aware that Eastern WA is much sunnier, (and warmer) from April through October than Western Washington.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 05:58 AM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Reputation: 9468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Is Medford in the Pacific Northwest?

Medford's summer highs are in the 90's, it gets about half the rain Redding does (18 in. vs. 35 in.), and about the same amount of snow.
That'd really be true for the entire Rogue Valley, which is Ashland to Grants Pass (or Roseburg, at a stretch). The Rogue Valley is a bit different (climate, geography, plants) from the Shasta forest area to the south and the Willamette Valley to the north. On the drier eastern hills in Medford there is a bit of the rolling scrub oak of the Redding area (until you get into the Cascades, where it is solid conifer) but in the wetter western areas it is conifer and manzanita through to the Coast range and the ocean.

Redding is sunnier - even with the higher precip total - than the Rogue Valley. Medford is roughly 200 days of sun/part sun a year and Redding is about 250. The average July/Aug high in Medford is 92 (although we have about 10-12 days above 100 a year), but it is usually about 10 cooler than Redding, in part because it is at 1,500' to Redding's 344'.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 09:12 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,550 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4141
And Brookings, OR, (about 6 miles north of the CA border on the coast), gets occasional warm days in the winter, sometimes the warmest temps in the NW during the cold season.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-08-2018, 09:49 PM
Status: "0-0-2 Game On!" (set 2 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,298 posts, read 15,350,510 times
Reputation: 9468
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
And Brookings, OR, (about 6 miles north of the CA border on the coast), gets occasional warm days in the winter, sometimes the warmest temps in the NW during the cold season.
But it still averages something like 70" of rain a year, like most of the northwest coast, which ranges between 60"-100".
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-09-2018, 10:26 PM
 
Location: Washington State desert
5,550 posts, read 3,697,368 times
Reputation: 4141
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
But it still averages something like 70" of rain a year, like most of the northwest coast, which ranges between 60"-100".
You are correct! Great rainfall totals. But also some warm temps in between. (Atleast by PNW standards).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top