U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-05-2018, 11:26 PM
 
136 posts, read 87,173 times
Reputation: 33

Advertisements

Would you say that Northern California cities like San Francisco and Sacramento have some similarities to the PNW, especially in terms of nature.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-06-2018, 12:48 AM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Reputation: 13004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NativeWolf View Post
Would you say that Northern California cities like San Francisco and Sacramento have some similarities to the PNW, especially in terms of nature.
Not really, they're their own thing IMO. They are definitely not like SoCal.

However, from Redding northward along I-5, and possibly even as far south as Marin along US-101, the PNW influence starts to creep in.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 04:49 AM
 
Location: Albany, NY
51 posts, read 53,388 times
Reputation: 67
The Bay Area and Sacramento are very much like Pacific Northwest cities in that both regions offer a plethora of outdoor activities and recreation nearby, and a lot of residents take advantage of them. In my experience, though, the PNW cities are somewhat more closely tied to the outdoors - you'll find quite a few people in SF, Oakland, SJ, Sac, etc. who rarely hike or ski, while that seems less true in Seattle or Portland. But as Count David points out, the rest of NorCal is very different from the Bay Area or the Sacramento region and is very similar in many respects to, say, the Oregon Coast or the Willamette Valley depending on what city or town you're talking about.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 12:56 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
15,460 posts, read 25,401,064 times
Reputation: 8929
Quote:
Originally Posted by Count David View Post
Not really, they're their own thing IMO. They are definitely not like SoCal.

However, from Redding northward along I-5, and possibly even as far south as Marin along US-101, the PNW influence starts to creep in.
They’re like SoCal more so than anywhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-06-2018, 04:40 PM
 
Location: Olympia, Washington
1,258 posts, read 697,703 times
Reputation: 1123
I would say nope. You need to head further north as another poster mentioned. Up near the Oregon border to start seeing similarities.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 04:58 PM
Status: "0-0-2 start!" (set 14 days ago)
 
Location: The beautiful Rogue Valley, Oregon
7,289 posts, read 15,339,626 times
Reputation: 9463
The coast starts being pretty similar about around Mendocino, north up through Washington. On I-5, Corning to Redding is pretty similar, then you get into the Shasta forests and then the Rogue Valley, from Ashland north to about Roseburg, then the wetter, cooler Willamette Valley from Eugene to Vancouver, Wa.

That's just the basic arm-waving version, there are a lot of microclimates (rainshadows and the like) involved.
__________________
Moderator posts are in RED.
Moderator for: Oregon (and subforums), Auto Racing.
When you signed up for an account, you agreed to abide by the site's TOS and rules. You really should look through them.
City-Data Terms of Service: http://www.city-data.com/terms.html
City-Data FAQ: http://www.city-data.com/forum/faq/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 05:34 PM
 
Location: Sacramento CA
294 posts, read 158,873 times
Reputation: 216
Quote:
Originally Posted by caravan70 View Post
The Bay Area and Sacramento are very much like Pacific Northwest cities in that both regions offer a plethora of outdoor activities and recreation nearby, and a lot of residents take advantage of them. In my experience, though, the PNW cities are somewhat more closely tied to the outdoors - you'll find quite a few people in SF, Oakland, SJ, Sac, etc. who rarely hike or ski, while that seems less true in Seattle or Portland. But as Count David points out, the rest of NorCal is very different from the Bay Area or the Sacramento region and is very similar in many respects to, say, the Oregon Coast or the Willamette Valley depending on what city or town you're talking about.
Can’t speak on people from the Bay because they’re much further away from any Mountains with snow activity but Sac there are plenty of people in the Sac region who Ski/Snowboard. With the closest ski resort literally an hour away from Sac it’s quite easy to have season passes and utilize to the fullest. Also there is plenty of hiking in the regions as well, however I do agree those cities would be more closely tied to the outdoors.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 06:35 PM
 
Location: North Dakota
7,721 posts, read 9,018,166 times
Reputation: 11083
I think Redding and the areas north of there have elements of the the Pacific Northwest. This is just observations as a visitor.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 08:01 PM
 
Location: Silicon Valley
18,081 posts, read 22,924,480 times
Reputation: 35201
No.

I've lived in the SF Bay Area most of my life, spent around 20 years in WA from the southern border across from Hood River, OR, to a tiny town near Mt. Adams, to Seattle and Bellingham and a tiny town right on the Canadian border. So, I feel like I can speak to what the PNW feels like.

The only place in CA that feels like the PNW to me, is Crescent City. Eureka and Arcata are close.

But, even Yreka and Weed feel more like CA than the PNW. The difference is that it feels more like CA gold country than PNW logging towns. And even though they do get snow, and it's somewhat similar to the eastern side of OR or WA, there is a difference. Not as much snow, different economies and cultures.

But Redding? Not at all. Way too hot, hardly any rain or snow, way different culture. It's more a CA cowboy culture mixed with equal parts of marijuana growers, with the whole Jefferson State thing. That's just not how the PNW is. So, wrong weather and wrong culture.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-07-2018, 10:58 PM
 
Location: Arvada, CO
13,236 posts, read 24,407,950 times
Reputation: 13004
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
But Redding? Not at all. Way too hot, hardly any rain or snow, way different culture. It's more a CA cowboy culture mixed with equal parts of marijuana growers, with the whole Jefferson State thing. That's just not how the PNW is. So, wrong weather and wrong culture.
Is Medford in the Pacific Northwest?

Medford's summer highs are in the 90's, it gets about half the rain Redding does (18 in. vs. 35 in.), and about the same amount of snow.
__________________
Moderator for Los Angeles, The Inland Empire, and the Washington state forums.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top