U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2018, 08:28 PM

3,226 posts, read 1,543,956 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjseliga View Post
I think it's one of those things on how literal you take the definition of "coast", are you talking about a town/city/metro area that is within say 10 miles of the actual coast? Or are you using "coast" in a broader/general sense when referencing a place relative to some other place. It also has to do with perspective.

Like Atlanta, Charlotte, Raleigh/Durham, Philadelphia, D.C., etc. are on the "East Coast", generally speaking, as compared to say Dallas or Denver or Chicago. Or Portland, Reno, Sacramento, Las Vegas etc. are on the "West Coast", generally speaking, as compared to say Denver or Dallas or Salt Lake City.

I'm not really a nitpicky person and definitely use "East Coast" and "West Coast" in a more general term when talking about cities, and for me the place doesn't have to literally be on the coast or within 10 miles of the coast line, but that's just me!

Heck, having lived in Arizona, some people there think they live on the "West Coast", it's all about perspective.
Definitely true .... but the definition allows for a large lake having a coast or coastline....

Coast - https://www.collinsdictionary.com/di.../english/coast and https://www.thefreedictionary.com/coast

- (physical geography) the line or zone the land meets the sea or some other LARGE expanse of water.

Coastline - https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/coastline

- line that forms the boundary between the land and the ocean or a lake

Wikipedia
- Coast -- A coastline or a seashore is the area where land meets the sea or ocean, or a line that forms the boundary between the land and the ocean or a lake.

But in common usage in Chicago and probably the whole Great Lakes region is.... use of the term the SHORE. Chicago has a expressway along its 26-mile city limits along Lake Michigan. It is named .... Lake Shore Drive.

The Coastline or Shoreline of Chicago as many see landing at O'Hare. Clearly, one can say it's a Coastline despite 1000-miles inland from the ocean.

Last edited by DavePa; 07-18-2018 at 09:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2018, 08:31 PM

86,987 posts, read 102,540,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Never heard Cleveland referred to as any of those nicknames.
I grew up on the west side of the Pittsburgh area, had family in Cleveland, never heard of that. Also lived in IL and never heard Chicago referred to that way.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:40 PM

425 posts, read 292,953 times
Cleveland and Northern Ohio are commonly referred to as the North Coast. Local weather stations would even use this moniker to describe the area, like “coming up at six, the North Coasts’s 7 day forecast”. My alma mater Cleveland State just sent out a quarterly alumni newsletter where the front cover was a drawing of Terminal Tower and in quotes said “Explore America’s North Coast.” Now, ibagree that most outside of Cleveland would never refer to Lake Erie as The North Coast, but while I lived there, I heard that term frequently.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or