U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 06:28 PM

8 posts, read 5,645 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
You're not going to find non flaky people anywhere. That's a new norm.
Unfortunately, you're probably right! Southern California just attracts a high proportion of them, it seems.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 06:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiscokay View Post
Sioux Falls, South Dakota came to my mind as a possible match when reading through your criteria. It's where I grew up.
Thank you! It sounds like I need to take a trip to South Dakota, which wasn't even on my radar! And I can definitely get into ice skating.

Old 04-11-2018, 06:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
How about New Glarus, Wisconsin, which is actually a town settled by Swiss immigrants. It's not too far from Madison.

Similarly is Sugarcreek, Ohio, which is south of Canton.
Ha, these are cute! Thanks!

Old 04-11-2018, 06:44 PM

1,531 posts, read 1,496,627 times
Cleveland, Milwaukee, Grand Rapids, or Rochester.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:20 PM

Sorry, I just figured out how to reply to multiple posts at once!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDak15 View Post
Bozeman has somewhat of a tech presence. If you have several hundred thousand lying around it might be nice to live in.
It looks pretty but I do hear housing has gotten very expensive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
Parts of the Dakotas, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Michigan, Ohio, Indiana, parts of New England will check many things off your list, but none will fit entirely.
Wisconsin minus the high taxes comes awfully close, for example.
Yes! I think I have some good leads now!

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
You are probably describing New Hampshire but the winters are loooong, dark, cold, and depressing. You could check out their lakes region.
Will do! Luckily I can work remotely - so if I need to take off for a few weeks in the winter and get some sun, I definitely can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kettlepot View Post
I would like to suggest Western Pennsylvania (Pittsburgh) or Eastern Pennsylvania (Lehigh or Lackawanna Valleys - Easton/Bethlehem area or Scranton).

Both are greener than California and have snow, and thunderstorms (T-storms = Weather!) Trust me. You've been missing thunderstorms....

After reading my thread, I know what you'll be asking. Yes, I am single, but I'm not currently on the market
LOL, thank you! And yes, I love thunderstorms! I have a branch in my family tree that's from Pittsburgh, so I'll add that to the list of places to explore. I've spent a few days in and around eastern PA/Philadelphia and thought it was beautiful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Galena, IL comes to mind. Fits about every piece of criteria you ask for minus the ambitious men thing. Look into the town, I think you'll adore it. It reeks of charm. The downside is that in summer it can get quite crowded with tourists.
I've seen Galena atop a number of "Best Places" lists - it looks really cute! Unfortunately it's in a high-tax state that has a serious pension and budget crisis... not unlike CA.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marie Joseph View Post
There are smaller towns in Upstate NY that fit some of your criteria, but not all of it.

Northwest Pennsylvania also would fit some of your list.

Are any of your factors more important than others?

You have received some great suggestions. Do you have a particular geographic preference?
It sounds like, given my criteria, I need to explore the upper midwest and northeast more (specifically New Hampshire in the northeast), and also Pennsylvania. I'd say my top two priorities are climate/geography, and friendliness of the people. I don't want to move somewhere where I can't make friends because people aren't accepting of outsiders, or where EVERYONE is married and busy with kids.

My goal is to narrow down some regions based on practical preferences, then visit and see what my gut tells me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
Ithaca, NY? Idk, this is a tough one OP lol.
I know! I was driving myself crazy, which is why I finally posted here, to get some other opinions!

Quote:
Originally Posted by flamadiddle View Post
Somehow in all of my Googling, I haven't come across this "filterable" version, so thanks!

Old 04-11-2018, 08:08 PM

989 posts, read 594,786 times
Wisconsin really sounds perfect for you, except a bit high on the taxes. Purple state. All of the outdoor stuff and common sense planning, etc, are exactly what much of Wisconsin is about. The weather fits too.

Madison might be too liberal/college towny. But you could do something like Milwaukee, Appleton, or one of my personal favorites, Stevens Point.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:49 PM

20,848 posts, read 35,952,730 times
Lakes Region of New Hampshire, reasonable priced properties away from the big lake. No sales tax, no income tax (interest and dividend investment income is taxed at 5%). Low property tax rates in the Lakes Region, meaning a $250K property has taxes of around $2000-2500 a year. Not, "low" compared to other areas of the country, but reasonable compared to other neighboring states and adjacent states.

Old 04-13-2018, 08:31 AM

35 posts, read 24,355 times
Definitely going to second Pittsburgh as an option for you. Great techy scene starting there. You have Uber headquarters, Carnegie Mellon, various Robotics corporations, and it's among Amazon's finalists for a second headquarters. Also, PA income tax is a flat 3.0%, and real estate is unbelievable. I actually owned a fairly decent home there that I bought for 20k. Yep, 20k- it was less than my Subaru. On to the really fun stuff- the friendliest people I have ever met were in Pittsburgh, and also the most diverse. There is a great sense of community there, a kind of " More the merrier", mentality, regardless of age, religion, politics or race....Well, let me be fair, I didn't live there during our most recent campaign so I don't know if political affiliations became a problem amongst friends.....Also, it is gorgeous country out that way. One minute, you are in a fun, vibrant city, but drive 20 miles in any directions and you are in the middle of farmland. I've never seen a city with little to no urban sprawl. It's amazing. Don't be surprised to see the occasional deer running down the sidewalk. And I can't tell you how many bunnies, hummingbirds, city groundhogs, and FIREFLIES I would see each Spring, all within the city! Also, you've got Lake Erie about 2 hours north and plenty of state parks and wilderness nearby. And finally, if you plan to retire in PA, it's one of the few states that do NOT tax your 401k or IRA withdrawals with income tax. There's only a handful of states that are that senior friendly and PA is one of them. And weather- awesome weather there if you are actually missing "weather". There are some pretty intense thunderstorms, and this wonderful warm electric vibe that kind of blows in the wind during the Spring and Summer. And for some reason the entire freaking city smells like lilacs and moist earth in the Spring. It's kind of unbelievable and not something you expect from a city. Summer storms are common and awesome! Winter can get depressing somewhere around February and you will have to work with it to enjoy- take up skiing or snowboarding! Ok, that's my lengthy take on Pittsburgh. I'd go back in a heartbeat if my husband's job would allow it! Truly a magical one of kind place......PS, I wouldn't look too much into New Hampshire. I live in New England and I can tell you the taxes are murder, as are the winters, and there's definitely an affluent "keeping up with the Jones " mentality. Also, rough place to be in your 30's. Not a hell of alot to do, especially if you're single, unless you want to attempt living in Boston or New York. As someone whose been in New England most of her life, I would say it's not a very fun place for a mid 30's single female. It's perfect for the suburban family of four, doing weekend soccer games.......Ok, good luck to you!!!!

Old 04-13-2018, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ihret1 View Post
Definitely going to second Pittsburgh as an option for you. Great techy scene starting there. You have Uber headquarters, Carnegie Mellon, various Robotics corporations, and it's among Amazon's finalists for a second headquarters. Also, PA income tax is a flat 3.0%, and real estate is unbelievable. I actually owned a fairly decent home there that I bought for 20k. Yep, 20k- it was less than my Subaru. On to the really fun stuff- the friendliest people I have ever met were in Pittsburgh, and also the most diverse. There is a great sense of community there, a kind of " More the merrier", mentality, regardless of age, religion, politics or race....Well, let me be fair, I didn't live there during our most recent campaign so I don't know if political affiliations became a problem amongst friends.....Also, it is gorgeous country out that way. One minute, you are in a fun, vibrant city, but drive 20 miles in any directions and you are in the middle of farmland. I've never seen a city with little to no urban sprawl. It's amazing. Don't be surprised to see the occasional deer running down the sidewalk. And I can't tell you how many bunnies, hummingbirds, city groundhogs, and FIREFLIES I would see each Spring, all within the city! Also, you've got Lake Erie about 2 hours north and plenty of state parks and wilderness nearby. And finally, if you plan to retire in PA, it's one of the few states that do NOT tax your 401k or IRA withdrawals with income tax. There's only a handful of states that are that senior friendly and PA is one of them. And weather- awesome weather there if you are actually missing "weather". There are some pretty intense thunderstorms, and this wonderful warm electric vibe that kind of blows in the wind during the Spring and Summer. And for some reason the entire freaking city smells like lilacs and moist earth in the Spring. It's kind of unbelievable and not something you expect from a city. Summer storms are common and awesome! Winter can get depressing somewhere around February and you will have to work with it to enjoy- take up skiing or snowboarding! Ok, that's my lengthy take on Pittsburgh. I'd go back in a heartbeat if my husband's job would allow it! Truly a magical one of kind place......PS, I wouldn't look too much into New Hampshire. I live in New England and I can tell you the taxes are murder, as are the winters, and there's definitely an affluent "keeping up with the Jones " mentality. Also, rough place to be in your 30's. Not a hell of alot to do, especially if you're single, unless you want to attempt living in Boston or New York. As someone whose been in New England most of her life, I would say it's not a very fun place for a mid 30's single female. It's perfect for the suburban family of four, doing weekend soccer games.......Ok, good luck to you!!!!
Wow, Pittsburgh sounds amazing! I can't wait to visit and check it out. Thanks so much for all the detail. I love that combo of "fun urban city" + "easy access to farmland." And a 3% flat income tax is definitely fair.

I've heard many times that New England is a high tax area, but New Hampshire seems like the exception (no earned income tax and no sales tax). I've even heard Massachusetts called "Taxachusetts," but they have a flat income tax of 5.1%... which is borderline reasonable (for someone coming from CA, at least). Maybe I'm missing something there.

What do you know about the Manchester, NH area? It seems like a fairly short distance (60-90 minutes) to all that Boston has to offer.

Old 04-13-2018, 07:50 PM

10 posts, read 8,014 times
3rding Pittsburgh! Born and raised in the suburbs and lived downtown for a year. Pittsburghers are relentlessly proud of their city. If you want community involvement then you'll love Pitt. Most people will say that Pittsburgh is a hidden gem. The city itself only has 350k people living in it but the metro is 2.3 million strong. What you get is a small city feel that still has all the perks of a larger one.

There's plenty of water and trees. I loved kayaking downtown in the summer, and I even found some hiking trails on mount Washington. Pittsburgh is one of the most heavily treed cities in the country (I found some data proving this a few years ago, but don't know where to find it now). And the climate is actually similar to the PNW. It's slightly less cloudy in Pittsburgh than it is in Portland, but you'll get more rainfall because when it rains, it pours, while in PNW it seems to constantly drizzle. I still think overall its sunnier in Pittsburgh, but you'll have to prepare yourself for more cloudy weather than Socal. As far as the rest of the year, there's some occasional fog, some rainy days, "textbook" spring and fall weather, and winters are cold but the snow is mild. The blizzards tend to spare the city and go for the coast, but you'll still get pretty snowfall every year. Summers are 70s and low 80s. Occasionally it'll flood and you can't use some of the roads near the river, but thats about it.

You'll get all of your outdoor activities here. The mountains (hiking, camping, skiing) are about an hour away, but you'll live in the foothills so it'll never be flat. Boating and kayaking in the Allegheny, monongahela, and ohio rivers. A 2 hour trip can be made to lake Erie.

I would call PA a conservative state with liberal cities. It's truly a swing state. I'm neutral towards its policies on taxes (could be better, could be worse).

There's a small tech scene in pittsburgh, but its incredibly motivated and they take a lot of pride in it. It also feels more like a community, whereas in larger cities (especially out west) you're just another drop in the bucket. Pittsburgh can be walkable, but it depends on what your priorities are. When I was bored I would take 2-3 hour walks all over the place. I think pittsburgh is walkable, but a lot of people will tell you it isn't. I guess it depends where you live. When I lived downtown, I lived in Shadyside. I had 2 different buses I could take downtown within walking distance (one was an express line), but buses really only go downtown and cater to people working in the core, and some student populations. Getting to the other side of the city to a relevant location is not generally an option. There are lots of bikers downtown though. Pittsburgh used to be considered the next portland, but that died down since then and that culture never really "took over", but still exists. Forget our rail lol.

As far as "A strong connection to the land, agriculture, farming" goes, I had a friend that used to forage for wild edibles within city limits. She also had a chicken coop in the city. It's not normal necessarily (she's a character)... but if thats your style it can be done. There are also deer in the parks and I once almost hit a wild turkey coming home from work on the highway.

The architecture in Pittsburgh is amazing. When the industry was booming the place was full of upscale apartments and millionaire mansions. My apartment had a basement that still had the horse stalls in place and people were using them for storage. It also had a butler pantry and one of those food elevators, where they would make food in the basement and send it up to the 3rd floor. But keep in mind the place is old, so don't be surprised if your house/apartment is drafty and has cracks in the walls. There's a chance it was built in the late 1800s and hasn't been renovated.

I could go on and on about Pittsburgh. My favorite thing to do was grab some fast food and go drive up to mount washington around 9pm and eat while sitting on the wall near the overlook. The best part about it, is that there really arent tourists in Pittsburgh. So the sites are yours to enjoy, sometimes all by yourself. Here's a nice intro to mount washington given by native pittsburghers, accent and all:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tlkpLrah2CM

If you want to watch more videos, here's one of someone driving around downtown. If you put it on 2x speed you can get a brief intro to the city core and get a better understanding of the architecture (although its kind of long).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8vHVswDrXjI

And here is some drone footage that I think captures the feel of the city:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_QEfGdtDEL8

Like I said, I've lived there my whole life up until recently. If you want to know anything super specific I'll be able to answer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or