U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-10-2018, 06:44 AM

485 posts, read 1,173,471 times

Advertisements

Okay, so here's my criteria:

-Not Texas
-Not NYC
-My experience is in AV, video editing, and text graphics
-I'd like to live somewhere with great public transit like NYC but not NYC. And if I have to drive I prefer no traffic at all.
-Nowhere humidity, nowhere that's sweaty hot
-Would like to spend around $700-$1,000 for a one bedroom apartment or efficiency that isn't in the ghetto, doesn't have to be an amazing area, just not too ghetto
-Somewhere with great hipster nightlife.
-I'm a single heterosexual male, so a good dating scene would be nice.
-Somewhere that it's easy to make friends.

I realize the last two points are more up to me and not the city I live in, but just thought I'd throw them in there.

Last edited by simon22; 04-10-2018 at 06:54 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2018, 06:53 AM

71 posts, read 37,254 times
The no humidity takes out like half the country which should make this easier. I’ll say Portland.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:55 AM

5,960 posts, read 6,869,802 times
Great public transit and a place that's not claustrophobic don't usually go together.

Great public transit also usually doesn't go together with inexpensive apartments in decent neighborhoods.

Of places that I'm familiar with, I think maybe take a look at Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Indianapolis.

Pittsburgh costs the most, but has the best transit and the best options for going car free. It also might have a slightly better job market for your industry.

Cleveland has a little less public transportation, but still a few places to go low-car/no-car. It's by far the cheapest option apartment-wise, you could come in below budget even.

Indianapolis rents are right about your price range. It feels much less claustrophobic. The downside is that their transit is by far the worst of these three options, with no rail and less frequent buses. But it's an easy city for driving. It's also not bad for biking, being flat and wide open, and having the cultural trail looping through a lot of the city.

Old 04-10-2018, 06:56 AM

5,960 posts, read 6,869,802 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
The no humidity takes out like half the country which should make this easier. Ill say Portland.
Is Portland really that cheap? I've never looked into it. If the whole trust fund hipster stereotype is true at all, I figured $700-$1000 a month would be far too low of a budget.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:01 AM

71 posts, read 37,254 times
I think if you go across the river to Vancouver, yes for sure. But I think even in Portland you’d probably be ok. Though obviously nothing fancy and closer to $1000 than $700.

Old 04-10-2018, 07:35 AM

6,319 posts, read 6,989,633 times
Chicago

Old 04-10-2018, 08:29 AM

10,677 posts, read 8,216,452 times
Chicago and Vancouver, Canada

Old 04-10-2018, 09:41 AM

416 posts, read 248,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCSC View Post
I think if you go across the river to Vancouver, yes for sure. But I think even in Portland youd probably be ok. Though obviously nothing fancy and closer to $1000 than $700.
Yeah, you can probably still find studios in run down buildings for 1000. I think Portland hits most of his requests.

Old 04-10-2018, 09:45 AM

87,035 posts, read 102,723,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferraris View Post
Great public transit and a place that's not claustrophobic don't usually go together.

Great public transit also usually doesn't go together with inexpensive apartments in decent neighborhoods.

Of places that I'm familiar with, I think maybe take a look at Pittsburgh, Cleveland, and Indianapolis.

Pittsburgh costs the most, but has the best transit and the best options for going car free. It also might have a slightly better job market for your industry.

Cleveland has a little less public transportation, but still a few places to go low-car/no-car. It's by far the cheapest option apartment-wise, you could come in below budget even.

Indianapolis rents are right about your price range. It feels much less claustrophobic. The downside is that their transit is by far the worst of these three options, with no rail and less frequent buses. But it's an easy city for driving. It's also not bad for biking, being flat and wide open, and having the cultural trail looping through a lot of the city.
All of those cities are very humid.

Old 04-10-2018, 10:05 AM

21,220 posts, read 30,443,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simon22 View Post
Okay, so here's my criteria:
-Nowhere humidity, nowhere that's sweaty hot
So a place where there's no summer?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.