U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 01:51 PM

7,691 posts, read 4,551,558 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I think the term could be used in relation to the area as well. So, I don’t know if it has a strict definition.

I think with this thread, it is one of those things in terms of the neighborhoods of “you recognize it when you see it” type of thing. Meaning, the type of character the homes and neighborhood has.
It’s definitely relative to the rest of the city. There are some cities that might be new enough to not have a significant amount of old money. If we’re using a rolling scale, I’d say four generations of affluence put you comfortably within the realm of old money. If we are using a fixed date or era, I’d say anything before the great depression qualifies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:53 PM

3,785 posts, read 6,515,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Amazing tree cover.
Majority of the town is covered in oaks. There a few others but the tree coverage make it hard to see.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:56 PM

250 posts, read 127,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedforest View Post
Tongue in cheek. Even so I associate the term with money made in pre—industrial times, like the South Carolina planters and the Salem Mass China trade families or the New York Knickerbocker aristocracy. In that context, new money is all the fortunes made after the civil war by the parvenues— Jay Gould, Averell Harriman, Andrew Carnegie, John D. Rockefeller, and so on. That’s all long enough ago so that Rockefeller now seems like old money to just about everyone in comparison to, say, Marc Zuckerberg or Jeff Bezos. So you’re right. And, of course, that tobacco money in NC goes back far enough to have built Duke University, itself no newcomer. Still— Charlotte? Old money? Looking at street view images of the neighborhoods he cites I see the same boxy brick developer-built houses you’d find in any upscale southern suburb. NC should embrace its history — a “vale of humility between two mountains of conceit.”
"Same boxy brick developer-built houses you'd find in any upscale southern suburb."

Please stop with your ignorance. I don't know what you may have against Charlotte or NC as a whole, but Myers Park is anything but a generic suburb. Earle Sumner Draper, the same man who helped designed other historic districts such as Druid Hills in Atlanta and Hayes Barton in Raleigh, also oversaw the planning for Myers Park Myers Park Neighborhood Guide. I doubt anyone who has actually been to these neighborhoods would call them generic. In the meantime, perhaps you should brush up on your history.

Anyways, here are some houses in Myers Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1897...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1908...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1871...7i13312!8i6656

Old 04-13-2018, 02:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post
"Same boxy brick developer-built houses you'd find in any upscale southern suburb."

Please stop with your ignorance. I don't know what you may have against Charlotte or NC as a whole, but Myers Park is anything but a generic suburb. Earle Sumner Draper, the same man who helped designed other historic districts such as Druid Hills in Atlanta and Hayes Barton in Raleigh, also oversaw the planning for Myers Park Myers Park Neighborhood Guide. I doubt anyone who has actually been to these neighborhoods would call them generic. In the meantime, perhaps you should brush up on your history.

Anyways, here are some houses in Myers Park:

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1897...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1908...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.1871...7i13312!8i6656
To be fair, one needs a decent amount of familiarity with Charlotte to find the old money areas. I had probably been there five or six times before I saw one. My best friend lives there, so I went down, and ran a half marathon with him, and the course went through some gorgeous areas that I would otherwise have never seen.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
To be fair, one needs a decent amount of familiarity with Charlotte to find the old money areas. I had probably been there five or six times before I saw one. My best friend lives there, so I went down, and ran a half marathon with him, and the course went through some gorgeous areas that I would otherwise have never seen.

Agreed, but then perhaps it's best to refrain from speaking on matters in which we are clueless about.

Old 04-13-2018, 02:17 PM

6 posts, read 4,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TarHeelTerritory View Post

Please stop with your ignorance.[/url]
Myers Park is 1920s at the earliest. Twentieth century money made by Babbitts and similar boosters and speclators in the twenties and likely lost in the ensuing crash. Hardly ‘old money.’

Old 04-13-2018, 02:19 PM

86,978 posts, read 102,527,356 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
It’s definitely relative to the rest of the city. There are some cities that might be new enough to not have a significant amount of old money. If we’re using a rolling scale, I’d say four generations of affluence put you comfortably within the realm of old money. If we are using a fixed date or era, I’d say anything before the great depression qualifies.
How dos anyone know that four generations of the same family have lived in these houses, in Pittsburgh or any other city?

Old 04-13-2018, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enchantedforest View Post
Myers Park is 1920s at the earliest. Twentieth century money made by Babbitts and similar boosters and speclators in the twenties and likely lost in the ensuing crash. Hardly ‘old money.’
THE GROWTH OF CHARLOTTE: A HISTORY

Do you know anything about Charlotte? Or are you just a troll? The city already had an extensive manufacturing base of textiles and other industries by the late 1800s...

Old 04-13-2018, 02:39 PM

71 posts, read 36,989 times
The Battery in Charleston

Old 04-13-2018, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katarina Witt View Post
How dos anyone know that four generations of the same family have lived in these houses, in Pittsburgh or any other city?
It does't matter if we know the current inhabitants. If the neighborhood was clearly built for people with money, and the majority of the homes are over 80 years old, it's an old money neighborhood. I don't know why you're being pedantic. It only serves to derail the conversation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or