Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 05:11 PM

8,851 posts, read 5,871,086 times

Advertisements

Chicago's North Shore suburbs have some quaint, beautiful old money areas. In the city, neighborhoods like Lincoln Park and the Gold Coast have some stretches with beautiful, old-money mansions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 05:58 PM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I’ll add that not just parts of the upstate NY cities, but many of the villages or even towns with earlier development have such neighborhoods. Brighton outside of Rochester around the 12 Corners, DeWitt outside of Syracuse in its DeWittshire neighborhood and the Snyder community in the town of Amherst outside of Buffalo are a few examples of the latter point. All are close to or near areas of those cities with a similar look/feel as well.
In terms of city neighborhoods: Buffalo has Parkside, Central Park, the Delaware District(can be included with Elmwood Village), Park Meadow and parts of North Buffalo.

Rochester has East Avenue, Browncroft, Cobbs Hill/Upper Monroe, Park Avenue and a portion of North Winton Village.

Syracuse has Sedgwick, Strathmore, Scottholm(within larger Meadowbrook neighborhood), Berkeley Park, Shotwell Park area of the Eastwood section/neighborhood and Ross Park and Willumae in the Court-Woodlawn Neighborhood.

Schenectady has the General Electric Realty Plot and the Union Street/Central Park area(inc. Union Triangle and Upper Union).

Utica has parts of South Utica(south of Burrstone Road/Memorial Parkway, i.e.-Proctor Boulevard) and a portion of outer SE Utica just north of Memorial Parkway.

Binghamton has parts of its West Side(south of Main Street around Receration Park and Riverside Drive) and SW portion of city around/south of Vestal Avenue.

Niagara Falls has the DeVeaux neighborhood, an outer North Side neighborhood.

Elmira has a portions of the outer West Side.

Auburn has the Hoopes Park/East Genesee Street area, the Lake Avenue area and a portion of the historic South Street corridor.

Watertown has much of the outer Washington Street/Thompson Park/outer State Street portion of the city(S/SE/E).

Rome has the area of North Madison Street near the old Rome Free Academy/West Chestnut/North George.

Geneva has the South Main Street area.

Can view some information here: "Old Money" neighborhoods in Upstate NY cities

Old 04-11-2018, 06:03 PM

1,751 posts, read 1,684,625 times
Norfolk has some very nice old suburban neighborhoods. Larchmont is very nice.

Old 04-11-2018, 09:04 PM

6,613 posts, read 16,583,545 times
St. Paul has Summit Avenue, miles of which are lined with old money Victorian mansions of the 19th century railroad, lumber and mining moguls.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:13 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Would Mountain Brook be old money or new money?
Definitely old, harkening back to the steel era.

Old 04-12-2018, 06:29 AM

23,464 posts, read 44,083,751 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJones17 View Post
I like the old money neighborhoods near Buckhead in Atlanta too.
Buckhead itself is not an old money neighborhood but a district within (and comprising about 20% of) the city. It's not in and of itself uniformly old money, but contains a lot of old money neighborhoods within it, ie:

Brookwood Hills
Haynes Manor
Tuxedo Park
Chastain Park
Collier Hills
North Buckhead

Outside of Buckhead, I would say that Lenox Park, Morningside, Brookhaven and Druid Hills would make the cut.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:32 AM

93,292 posts, read 123,941,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
In terms of city neighborhoods: Buffalo has Parkside, Central Park, the Delaware District(can be included with Elmwood Village), Park Meadow and parts of North Buffalo.

Rochester has East Avenue, Browncroft, Cobbs Hill/Upper Monroe, Park Avenue and a portion of North Winton Village.

Syracuse has Sedgwick, Strathmore, Scottholm(within larger Meadowbrook neighborhood), Berkeley Park, Shotwell Park area of the Eastwood section/neighborhood and Ross Park and Willumae in the Court-Woodlawn Neighborhood.

Schenectady has the General Electric Realty Plot and the Union Street/Central Park area(inc. Union Triangle and Upper Union).

Utica has parts of South Utica(south of Burrstone Road/Memorial Parkway, i.e.-Proctor Boulevard) and a portion of outer SE Utica just north of Memorial Parkway.

Binghamton has parts of its West Side(south of Main Street around Recreation Park and Riverside Drive) and SW portion of city around/south of Vestal Avenue.

Niagara Falls has the DeVeaux neighborhood, an outer North Side neighborhood.

Elmira has a portions of the outer West Side.

Auburn has the Hoopes Park/East Genesee Street area, the Lake Avenue area and a portion of the historic South Street corridor.

Watertown has much of the outer Washington Street/Thompson Park/outer State Street portion of the city(S/SE/E).

Rome has the area of North Madison Street near the old Rome Free Academy/West Chestnut/North George.

Geneva has the South Main Street area.

Can view some information here: "Old Money" neighborhoods in Upstate NY cities
Some city neighborhood street views...Browncroft: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1541...7i13312!8i6656

Strathmore: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0262...7i13312!8i6656

Parkside: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.9358...7i13312!8i6656

GE Realty Plot: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.8184...7i13312!8i6656

Proctor Boulevard: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.0789...7i13312!8i6656

DeVeaux: https://www.google.com/maps/@43.1224...7i13312!8i6656

Near Recreation Park: https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0976...6!9m2!1b1!2i38

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-12-2018 at 07:47 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 07:38 AM

27,560 posts, read 28,659,961 times
Upper East Side of Manhattan is still the most impressive I've seen.

There's simply nothing like Park Avenue or Madison Avenue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.