U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2018, 12:29 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,967,264 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'll add another one that is in a metro that fits the population criteria and that is St. Joseph. Visitors Guide - City of St. Joseph, Michigan
Thanks it looks nice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2018, 01:37 PM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Thanks it looks nice!
It is and it is only about an hour and a half from Chicago too. There is a train station there that you could use if you want to as well.

Old 04-13-2018, 01:39 PM

2,546 posts, read 1,637,007 times
Reno, NV next to lake Tahoe.

Old 04-14-2018, 04:33 AM

23,065 posts, read 35,020,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
It is and it is only about an hour and a half from Chicago too. There is a train station there that you could use if you want to as well.
Question: Is there a nickname for the western shore of lower Michigan? Seems like there would be since it's so popular with moneyed Chicagoans.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:20 AM

56,582 posts, read 80,870,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iconographer View Post
Question: Is there a nickname for the western shore of lower Michigan? Seems like there would be since it's so popular with moneyed Chicagoans.
Good question...St. Joseph is called the “Riviera of the Midwest”, but I don’t remember hearing one for that whole region. The Riviera of the Midwest - City of St. Joseph, Michigan

Old 04-14-2018, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nn2036 View Post
Reno, NV next to lake Tahoe.
Reno is interesting and on my list to check out. I've heard good stuff...two of my friends are Next City Vanguard Fellows and they had their conference in Reno several years ago. I actually applied to that one but didnt get accepted.

Quote:
All I could find is Southwest Michigan. That's the way Visit Michigan and Visit St Joseph referred to it, and then on wikitravel (fwiw) it says "Grand Rapids is the unofficial capital of West Michigan; the regions away from G.R. often refer to themselves as "Southwest" or "Northwest" Michigan."

Old 04-14-2018, 11:56 AM

3,960 posts, read 3,490,733 times
Quote:
I've sometimes heard it referred to as Michigan's Gold Coast.

Old 04-14-2018, 06:23 PM

2,331 posts, read 3,054,090 times
Of the places that I've been I would say Savannah, GA and Burlington, VT. I haven't been to much of the west (only Colorado and Wyoming), but I have been to a lot of the rest of the country. I will say though that I have never been to Charleston and I suspect I would add it to my list.

I would give an honorable mention to Rapid City which isn't particularly urban (though not bad) but is within an hours drive of some of the most spectacular scenery east of the Rockies (both the Badlands and the Black Hills, plus the rolling prairies of the western Dakotas are beautiful in a stark and surreal kind of way). I don't think I could ever get tired of walking around the Badlands.

I love Duluth in the Summer and Fall but it is just too cold in the winter.

I enjoyed Madison when I was younger but now that I am not a young adult looking to party all the time I think it would get old pretty quickly.

I grew up in the Northeast. Most of the smaller cities there are relatively urban but kind of depressing (besides Burlington).

Last edited by Drewcifer; 04-14-2018 at 06:31 PM..

Old 04-14-2018, 07:03 PM

Savannah is nice but I prefer Charleston and they are similar enough that I left it off my shortlist. Duluth and Madison have both intrigued me as cities but I've never been. I'm actually really glad that people talked about lakefront towns in Michigan and I'd love to learn more about the same in MN.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:37 PM

17,672 posts, read 4,066,013 times
I choose Corpus because i think it would be kool to have a beach house there.It also has good redfishing and good seafood and i have friends there and it has a good church of Christ community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or