U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2018, 01:01 PM

6,337 posts, read 7,012,405 times

Advertisements

If you could have a second home somewhere with a population between 100k and 1M where would you choose and why? So not interested in small towns or big cities but ideally small cities with a big city feel. Could be a place you'd spend some time in throughout the year, or a seasonal destination. I personally care about walkability, artistic amenities, and good food. (but you do not have to be bound by my preferences)

For me it would probably be Charleston year round (well maybe not summertime) or Portland, ME in the summer. ABQ, Tulsa, Asheville all intrigue me but I've never been. Larger coastal towns like Santa Barbara probably would be great but I am not familiar with many of them. Ditto the common "lake houses" up north. Curious to hear others' thoughts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2018, 07:23 PM

2,097 posts, read 1,540,078 times
Pretty much any smaller mountain town in Colorado or Idaho for me. Boulder would be acceptable, strictly because of your population requirements. Access to the great outdoors, four seasons, Snow, mountains, etc...is just amazing. I’d say so far, Estes Park, CO is still my favorite place I’ve ever been.

I could also see myself settling down in a nice lake house along the Michigan coast

Old 04-12-2018, 06:44 AM

21,258 posts, read 30,528,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
If you could have a second home somewhere with a population between 100k and 1M where would you choose and why? So not interested in small towns or big cities but ideally small cities with a big city feel. Could be a place you'd spend some time in throughout the year, or a seasonal destination. I personally care about walkability, artistic amenities, and good food. (but you do not have to be bound by my preferences)
You really need to check out Asheville. Although under your population requirement of 100K, it's very walkable, artsy and has a food scene that rivals cities many times it's size.

Old 04-12-2018, 07:08 AM

56,982 posts, read 81,324,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle19125 View Post
You really need to check out Asheville. Although under your population requirement of 100K, it's very walkable, artsy and has a food scene that rivals cities many times it's size.
I'm curious if the population criteria is for the metro or city proper, as Portland ME is under 100k as well.

As for a place that would fit, I dare say that Ann Arbor MI. People may not consider it to the degree of other places mentioned so far though.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-12-2018 at 08:14 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 07:45 AM

1,107 posts, read 1,085,222 times
To ckhthankgod's point, I assume that your population parameters are a little flexible and include the metro area. Anyway, I share the same preferences as you, except that I've always wanted that place to be my primary residence and not a second home.

I would definitely suggest Asheville, as well, and it makes an especially nice contrast for a Floridian, hence much of its popularity. When I lived in Western NC it was definitely the spot for me, and I always thought that the many people I ran into that had places in AVL and Charleston were doing it right.

After living big city CO (Denver) and mountain town CO (No Name/Glenwood Springs) we looked for cities in the west that satisfied many of your requirements, and the list included Flagstaff AZ, Santa Fe NM (over ABQ), Missoula MT, Eugene OR, Bend OR, Ft. Collins CO (over Boulder) and Bellingham WA where I currently reside. In fact, Bellingham in many ways reminded us of Asheville twenty years ago.

Last edited by bartonizer; 04-12-2018 at 08:20 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 08:10 AM

23,127 posts, read 35,174,475 times
Quote:
Definitely.

I'm also thinking of medium-sized college towns like Chapel Hill, Charlottesville, Ann Arbor, Madison, Syracuse, Missoula, Northampton or Athens.

Some other small cities that IME punch above their weight:

Annapolis, MD
Frederick, MD
Chattanooga, TN
Naples, FL
Santa Fe, NM
Traverse City, MI
Savannah, GA
Des Moines, IA
Portland, ME
Spokane, WA
Lexington, KY
Greenville, SC
Columbia, SC
Tyler, TX

Last edited by Iconographer; 04-12-2018 at 08:18 AM..

Old 04-12-2018, 09:57 AM

30,002 posts, read 27,554,003 times
Burlington, VT
Lafayette, LA
Wilmington, NC
Fayetteville, AR
Hagerstown, MD
Spartanburg, SC
Charleston, WV

Old 04-12-2018, 11:40 AM

6,337 posts, read 7,012,405 times
Quote:
Ok ok I believe you! Haha, I definitely need to visit. Seems like AVL is super popular from these responses.

Quote:
Although under your population requirement of 100K, it's very walkable, artsy and has a food scene that rivals cities many times it's size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
I'm curious if the population criteria is for the metro or city proper, as Portland ME is under 100k as well.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
To ckhthankgod's point, I assume that your population parameters are a little flexible and include the metro area.
Population requirement wasn't strict, nor was it referring to "city" limits but MSA or Urban area if you prefer. I would have included Honolulu since it meets my "not strict" parameters, but I figured that was kinda obvious/cheating. Few people would not want a second home in HNL lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bartonizer View Post
Anyway, I share the same preferences as you, except that I've always wanted that place to be my primary residence and not a second home.

I would definitely suggest Asheville, as well, and it makes an especially nice contrast for a Floridian, hence much of its popularity. When I lived in Western NC it was definitely the spot for me, and I always thought that the many people I ran into that had places in AVL and Charleston were doing it right.

After living big city CO (Denver) and mountain town CO (No Name/Glenwood Springs) we looked for cities in the west that satisfied many of your requirements, and the list included Flagstaff AZ, Santa Fe NM (over ABQ), Missoula MT, Eugene OR, Bend OR, Ft. Collins CO (over Boulder) and Bellingham WA where I currently reside. In fact, Bellingham in many ways reminded us of Asheville twenty years ago.
Interesting that you've actually already done this research haha. Yeah we are different cause I definitely want the big city most of the time, but something a bit less is nice from time to time. Yeah Santa Fe, Eugene and Bend have also intrigued me from a distance. Does Bellingham have a nice downtown?

I like Ann Arbor and Chapel Hill although I tend to clump them into larger MSAs/CSAs, which may be a mistake.

Definitely also have had many of the other cities mentioned on my "radar" as very pleasant, nice places to live. But the thing is, eg places like Des Moines, Chattanooga, Greenville, Fayetteville...although they seem perfectly nice overall, I feel like what I'm going for is sort of a destination, capture your imagination, type of locale. Some kind of top-tier natural setting (ocean, major lakes, mountains, etc) or world-class history/architecture/events. And those places don't really strike me in that way. What do you think? Am I mistaken?

Old 04-12-2018, 12:26 PM

56,982 posts, read 81,324,636 times
In that case Ithaca NY would fit as well.

Also, what about an area like Watertown NY that fits the population criteria? Things are a bit more limited in Watertown itself(has art council, more urban, etc.), but the area has smaller communities like Clayton, Alexandria Bay and Cape Vincent in the 1000 Islands Region and Sackets Harbor on Lake Ontario in the micro area that offer walkability, events, restaurants, art amenities/venues, etc. I’m asking in regards to similar areas as well.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 04-12-2018 at 12:46 PM..

Old 04-12-2018, 12:28 PM

30,002 posts, read 27,554,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Definitely also have had many of the other cities mentioned on my "radar" as very pleasant, nice places to live. But the thing is, eg places like Des Moines, Chattanooga, Greenville, Fayetteville...although they seem perfectly nice overall, I feel like what I'm going for is sort of a destination, capture your imagination, type of locale. Some kind of top-tier natural setting (ocean, major lakes, mountains, etc) or world-class history/architecture/events. And those places don't really strike me in that way. What do you think? Am I mistaken?
In that case, I suppose your list would be limited to the likes of Charleston, Savannah, Asheville, Santa Fe, Burlington, etc. Others that haven't been mentioned are San Luis Obispo, CA, Marquette, MI, and Troy, NY.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or