U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:01 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 574,612 times
Reputation: 189
Seems like most large cities are nowadays conducive to gay lifestyles. The obvious choices are, of course:

San Francisco
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Boston

But there are some significant up-and-coming cities which have large and vibrant gay communities. I have known people who have enjoyed:

San Diego
Austin
Denver
Philadelphia
Portland
Seattle

Now, if you're looking for a small city, there are a number of choices as well:

Nearly any city on the California Coast including:
Berkeley
Santa Cruz
San Luis Obispo
Santa Barbara
Arcata
Santa Rosa
Santa Monica
Long Beach

Other US cities include:
Santa Fe
Boulder, CO
Eugene
Madison
Missoula
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:03 AM
 
Location: California
3,646 posts, read 2,894,318 times
Reputation: 2635
Default Safe smaller towns would be more of a challenge...

It would be interesting to see what smaller communities are accepting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:05 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 574,612 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kerby W-R View Post
It would be interesting to see what smaller communities are accepting.
There are many small towns in CA which are havens. Arguably the most accepting small town in the US is Arcata, though towns like Santa Cruz and Carmel would probably not like to hear that.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:06 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 8,344,260 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Seems like most large cities are nowadays conducive to gay lifestyles. The obvious choices are, of course:

San Francisco
New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
Boston

But there are some significant up-and-coming cities which have large and vibrant gay communities. I have known people who have enjoyed:

San Diego
Austin
Denver
Philadelphia
Portland
Seattle

Now, if you're looking for a small city, there are a number of choices as well:

Nearly any city on the California Coast including:
Berkeley
Santa Cruz
San Luis Obispo
Santa Barbara
Arcata
Santa Rosa
Santa Monica
Long Beach

Other US cities include:
Santa Fe
Boulder, CO
Eugene
Madison
Missoula
Out of that entire list, how could you not name Houston? The city has an entire district that is practically devoted to the gay lifestyle. People move here just for their sexual orientation. Not to mention there's a whole other area in SW Houston that's gaining notoriety as a second gay district.

Houston tops most of those cities you listed. Without a doubt.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:10 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 574,612 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Out of that entire list, how could you not name Houston? The city has an entire district that is practically devoted to the gay lifestyle. People move here just for their sexual orientation. Not to mention there's a whole other area in SW Houston that's gaining notoriety as a second gay district.

Houston tops most of those cities you listed. Without a doubt.
You're probably right. I've never been to Houston, so I didn't feel justified in suggesting it. However, it would be difficult for me to believe that Houston is more gay-friendly than SF.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:18 AM
 
Location: In God
3,073 posts, read 8,344,260 times
Reputation: 510
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
You're probably right. I've never been to Houston, so I didn't feel justified in suggesting it. However, it would be difficult for me to believe that Houston is more gay-friendly than SF.
Well of course it isn't, but it's close. I heard somewhere that SF, LA, NY, and HOU had the largest number of gays within the city population, respectively.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:24 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,223 posts, read 45,926,935 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by ICONGIRL View Post
Try Allentown PA
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmarlig View Post
We are very open minded in Philly - especially Mt. Airy and Center City/ Queen Village
Quote:
Originally Posted by loose cannon View Post
Allentown PA? Im not sure. I would sooner reccomend Center City Philadelphia around Spruce and Walnut Sts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by enviroman View Post
Yeah, I agree. I've found Allentown to be sort of conservative...far from a homosexual haven.

Philly can be a decent place. I'd say most any college town would be accepting (read: liberal).
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGuyJ View Post
I just bought a house in Allentown, so I hope it's reasonably open minded since I'll be living there with my partner!

No offense, but as a fellow gay Pennsylvanian I would not recommend the Keystone State at all. This morning I read with horror about the vehement promotion of a proposed state constitutional amendment to ban both same-sex marriage and same-sex civil unions by an increasing number of residents. There is now a billboard on I-476 in support of the ban with something to the effect of "Should Pennsylvania Kiss Marriage Good-Bye?" There are many more closeted LGBT folks (at least in my area) than there are open ones due to fear of these Republican religious watchdog groups that are gaining fervor in our state. People like Ann Coulter are scaring people in PA into believing nonsense more or less along the lines that you can catch AIDS through handshakes with gays or that all gays are child molestors.

New York City's eventual annexation of Eastern PA into its newest suburb can't come soon enough for me, as I'm sure this influx of diversity will make it much more difficult for such legislation to pass and such hatred to thrive. It is one thing to advocate against gay marriage, as I can personally see some credible reasons to be opposed to it. However, any state where residents are vehemently opposed to CIVIL UNIONS (i.e. PA), which in no way, shape, or form infringe upon religious beliefs, are just homophobic, intolerant, and should be written-off as relocation destinations for those in the LGBT community.

To those who will likely come in defense of PA being "liberal," I'd like to ask you when the last time it was that YOU stood up for gay civil rights against these brainwashed moral watchdog groups. If you never have, then you're only part of the problem with your indifference on the issue.

Someday I dream of my partner and I being able to engage in a civil union here in Scranton to firmly cement our love for one another. If and when this new ban becomes a reality, my dreams of living here will be shattered, and I'll have to join the rest of my college-educated peers in leaving PA for greener pastures.

I can't believe hundreds of thousands of dollars have been raised to propose and support such legislation when so many in our state are without health insurance or are going to bed hungry or shivering cold. Where are this state's priorities? "Little Timmy down the street needs an expensive lung transplant, but instead of holding a fundraiser for him, we'll hold one to prevent Adam and Steve from having a civil union."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:25 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 574,612 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by mpope409 View Post
Well of course it isn't, but it's close. I heard somewhere that SF, LA, NY, and HOU had the largest number of gays within the city population, respectively.
If we're talking about TOTAL number of members of the LGBT community, the top four are:

New York
Los Angeles
Chicago
San Francisco

But this is not really a meaningful list since this is basically a list of the largest US cities (with the exception of SF). If instead we look at percentage of the population, the top four are:

San Francisco
Seattle
Atlanta
Minneapolis

Keep in mind, however that the LGBT population is very hard to estimate, and these rankings are subject to quite a bit of demographic interpretation.

Houston ranks 6th in total number of LGBT people, but is not on the list of percentage. Nevertheless, it has (apparently) an active gay community.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Polish Hill, Pittsburgh, PA
26,223 posts, read 45,926,935 times
Reputation: 11049
Quote:
Originally Posted by SBCA View Post
Keep in mind, however that the LGBT population is very hard to estimate, and these rankings are subject to quite a bit of demographic interpretation.
In my humble opinion they are impossible to estimate, as so many who are LGBT lie about their orientations for fear of backlash from friends, family, and their communities. Before I "came out" back in high school the stress and worry I endured about people "outting" me was so immense that I had a panic attack and attempted suicide. With how afraid people in this nation must be about being honest about who they love thanks to the overwhelming reverence of people like Ann Coulter, for example, it is impossible to estimate a TRUE number of LGBT individuals in a community. The numbers City-Data provides of 0.1% or 0.2% in my area being same-sex couples is laughable, at best, when I know of scores of "straight" men and women around here who have confided their alternative sexual orientations in me. I'd say the real number is closer to 5%-10% of the overall population, but you'd never know that from these misleading surveys in which people lie and hide.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 12-02-2007, 09:31 AM
 
Location: Philadelphia, PA
343 posts, read 574,612 times
Reputation: 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScrantonWilkesBarre View Post
There is now a billboard on I-476 in support of the ban with something to the effect of "Should Pennsylvania Kiss Marriage Good-Bye?" There are many more closeted LGBT folks (at least in my area) than there are open ones due to fear of these Republican religious watchdog groups that are gaining fervor in our state. People like Ann Coulter are scaring people in PA into believing nonsense more or less along the lines that you can catch AIDS through handshakes with gays or that all gays are child molestors.
I live in Philadelphia, and I can understand your feeling that PA is not nearly the Haven that it should be. Back home in CA, it was just always standard that gay people were members of the community. My father is gay and has always found acceptance. But in the east, it seems that people are anti-gay as the default and it takes substantial argument to change their minds. On the bright side, I feel as if Philadelphians are become more open minded and accepting of gay people. I would like to see this trend continue. I hope that marriage bans like this one are exposed for the ridiculous discriminatory actions that they truly are.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top