U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 07:57 PM

6,053 posts, read 3,377,056 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by southernnaturelover View Post
Even here in rural Alabama many of the youngsters have no accent, my niece and nephews are this way. Itís not due to transplants since thereís not that many here, and itís not due to TV since I grew up watching TV too and my accent is thick. I really have no explanation for it.
Today's kids barely even watch TV. I was born in the '90s but I may have been born in the '40s compared to these kids who watch nothing but YouTube and Netflix for as long as they can remember. If you wanna blame something blame the internet. TV has been around longer than most of us on this site.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-09-2018, 05:20 AM

4,205 posts, read 2,822,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canes2006Champs View Post

I can tell you from personal experience from living in North Carolina and visiting Tallahassee recently that the 'southern culture" that most people think of still very much exists in these states. Just because Raleigh/Durham, Charlotte, Miami, and the Central Florida region has changed in the last 25 years doesn't mean it took the whole entire states with them.

And South Carolina most definitely still has a lot of southern culture. No one will ever mistake Columbia or Spartanburg for Syracuse or Providence.
I can definitely confirm that Charlotte and The Triangle cannot be mistaken for anywhere other than the South, period...

I've said it for years, and on this site it bears repeating ever so often. Transplants do add to the cultural diversity of a place, but they assimilate into the local culture, not the other way around. This has been true of every single place I've ever lived. So then, the question of the South "losing its culture" is not well thought out. It's still the South, but some areas have a wider range of cultural dexterity...

Old 07-09-2018, 09:14 AM

23,541 posts, read 17,525,434 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by murksiderock View Post
I can definitely confirm that Charlotte and The Triangle cannot be mistaken for anywhere other than the South, period...

I've said it for years, and on this site it bears repeating ever so often. Transplants do add to the cultural diversity of a place, but they assimilate into the local culture, not the other way around. This has been true of every single place I've ever lived. So then, the question of the South "losing its culture" is not well thought out. It's still the South, but some areas have a wider range of cultural dexterity...
I spent most of last week around Raleigh. It's definitely the South.

Sure, it's a big city with a job base that tends to bring in a diverse crowd, but that doesn't mean the dominant culture isn't Southern.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or