U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 09:39 PM

5,296 posts, read 3,513,713 times

Advertisements

In a word, no. It is thankfully not losing its identity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 04:31 AM

626 posts, read 575,952 times
Yeah, Southern culture has definitely become less distinctive over time and will eventually fade into obscurity(happens all the time). The fact that nobody on this thread can specifically tell you what makes the modern south "different" says it all, really.

But I don't think it's transplants alone, as the same is true of the interior south which has seen comparatively few transplants. The issue is that we have reduced what was a unique, fascinating and rich US sub culture into rednecks and trailer parks, ridiculing anyone with even a hint of a southern accent as an uneducated fool.

Last edited by A.J240; 04-16-2018 at 05:04 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 10:03 AM

1,551 posts, read 715,055 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Many younger generation American speakers have lost their distinctive regional accents, due to constant exposure to television, motion pictures, and other media. This is true in the Southern states, as well as the Boston area in the northeast. Also, young people in the coastal South, are losing their traditional non-rhotic pronounciation, and adopting the pronounciation of the inland or Appalachian southern region (possibly because the latter is the standard accent among country-music recording artists). For instance, no one would guess that television host Stephen Colbert grew up in Charleston, South Carolina.

Localities such as Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (home of the enormous "Research Triangle Park"....Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia (several huge military bases).....Atlanta, Georgia.....urban cities of Texas.....northern Arkansas (retirees/ pensioners) and of course most of Florida, these areas have had a large influx of transplants from outside the South.
While I agree that the process of dialect homogenization (at least regionally) is happening in the US, I'm not sure media exposure is the reason. People consumed plenty of TV, movies, and national radio in the '40s, '50s, and '60s, but regional dialects were alive and kicking then, and some (like the Inland North dialect of the Great Lakes) were still in the process of formation.

I'd put it down more to a cultural shift away from physical communities and toward the larger, online, global community. Nobody tries to sound like the weatherman or some TV character, but I think when kids are constantly listening to podcast hosts and Let's Players, young people who really represent the identities that they subscribe to, it can cause them to adopt the same linguistic features, which then continue to spread throughout the country. I'd wager that most young Wisconsinites, for example, wouldn't define themselves as Cheeseheads but as gamers, amateur music producers, technophiles, anime fans, etc. - and those communities have people you can connect with and imitate around the country.

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratras View Post
Go ask the longtime residents of Dearborn Michigan what happened to the identity of Dearborn with the massive hoards of Arabs who "found" Dearborn...it's NOT Dearborn Michigan anymore, not by a longshot......not in language, not in religion, not in customs, not in race, not in education, not in community standards.
As a non-Michigander, I'd say the Arab influx gave Dearborn its primary identity. 99% of the time if Dearborn comes up in conversation or print, it's because it's a rare Muslim-majority town in America.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:33 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,146,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J240 View Post
Yeah, Southern culture has definitely become less distinctive over time and will eventually fade into obscurity(happens all the time). The fact that nobody on this thread can specifically tell you what makes the modern south "different" says it all, really.

The issue is we have reduced what was a unique, fascinating and rich US sub culture into rednecks and trailer parks.
All of your assumptions were wrong. Since you don't live in the south, you obviously do not understand it. And the south being just "rednecks and trailer parks" shows your ignorance and myth-pandering.

Here is one reason that makes the south different: People enjoy communicating with each other. Striking up a conversation with a stranger is not only common, but encouraged and respected. I've been around the country, and not seen that to an extent like in the south. And it's all across the south too. That hasn't changed one bit over the centuries, and shows no sign of changing.

People also spend more time outdoors and with groups (outdoor concerts, events, parties, picnics, festivals) and enjoy hanging out together, more than any other region.

There is also a cuisine and food base unique to the south, with more flavor and cultural influences than the rest of the country, that often attracts chefs and interest from around the world.

There you have it, three very clear reasons that make the south unique and special. Go ahead and get mad about it.

Only those in the south can truly speak for it. People from other regions can make up whatever ideas they want, but it's just a matter of unfamiliarity and prejudice.

Last edited by Thoreau424; 04-16-2018 at 10:44 AM..

Old 04-16-2018, 10:37 AM

17,795 posts, read 8,885,707 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
All of your assumptions were wrong. Since you don't live in the south, you obviously do not understand it. And the south being just "rednecks and trailer parks" shows your ignorance and myth-pandering.

I will tell you one reason that makes the south different: People enjoy communicating with each other. Striking up a conversation with a stranger is not only common, but encouraged and respected. I've been around the country, and not seen that to an extent like in the south. And it's all across the south too.

Only those in the south can truly speak for it. People from other reasons can make up whatever ideas they want, but it's just a matter of unfamiliarity and prejudice.
I've lived in the South, and people will chat you up in the line at a convenience store, or wherever, like they've known you all their life. I got used to friendly people. When I moved back up north, I did that in a line one morning buying a coffee, and got weird stares. I stopped.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:39 AM

5,091 posts, read 2,146,466 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot1 View Post
I've lived in the South, and people will chat you up in the line at a convenience store, or wherever, like they've known you all their life. I got used to friendly people. When I moved back up north, I did that in a line one morning buying a coffee, and got weird stares. I stopped.
Which approach seemed more healthy? Which approach does more good and benefits life?

Old 04-16-2018, 11:03 AM

28,266 posts, read 26,252,873 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStavroz View Post
I am not from the South or the US so i've never been to the South but I am wondering if due to all the transplants in recent years in cities like Atlanta, is the South is losing it's identity?.
Of course. There's hardly any Choctaw culture left in Alabama after transplants invaded it.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:40 PM

12,336 posts, read 10,315,855 times
The natural areas of the South will always be unique due to the climate. People don't affect that wherever they come from.

Seems more green areas in the South in winter that look less like winter in more northern climates.

https://www.google.com/maps/@33.8065...7i13312!8i6656

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8144...8i6656!5m1!1e4

I don't know if these areas are fairly typical of the look in winter or not, but people moving in don't change the climate, and eventually climate and geography can shape culture over long decades.

Old 04-16-2018, 12:55 PM

7,826 posts, read 12,333,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Nope. Places donít lose their identity due to other people moving to that place. People have been relocating across this country for generations, this is nothing new. I think many people seek out familiarity when relocating or traveling so they notice things that are familiar and seek them out.

The regions of the United States are still very diverse and distinct from each other, just have to look for it.
Completely untrue. To use the most extreme example, Miami and most of Los Angeles don't even feel like the United States anymore because of immigration and how these immigrants are keeping their national culture vs assimilating into American culture.

Northern Virginia and the Charlotte area are parts of the South where the Southern culture is heavily diluted by transplants and its also affected the politics. It all depends on the rate of transplants coming in. In West Virginia and Louisiana, transplants come at a slow enough rate where they either assimilate or they just can't fit in and end up leaving. In NOVA transplants have swamped the region where they have formed their own culture and their own group that has no outnumbered the natives.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:27 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,396,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Lennox 70 View Post
Completely untrue. To use the most extreme example, Miami and most of Los Angeles don't even feel like the United States anymore because of immigration and how these immigrants are keeping their national culture vs assimilating into American culture.

Northern Virginia and the Charlotte area are parts of the South where the Southern culture is heavily diluted by transplants and its also affected the politics. It all depends on the rate of transplants coming in. In West Virginia and Louisiana, transplants come at a slow enough rate where they either assimilate or they just can't fit in and end up leaving. In NOVA transplants have swamped the region where they have formed their own culture and their own group that has no outnumbered the natives.
Charlotte isn't as conservative as it used to be, but it's about as moderately left of center as some other places in the South that haven't gotten as large of an influx of transplants. The Triangle would have probably been a better example to use.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or