U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:12 PM
 
5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Reputation: 3482

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by siratras View Post
When the South stops eating "grits" or hominy, and substitutes "breakfast TACOS" then you know the SOUTH is losing its own identity.
The US South knows its "identity", and it damn sure isn't found "south of the Border", or Neu Yawk Sity
How come up North we've been inundated with "sweet tea" at restaurants in recent years?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:19 PM
 
5,858 posts, read 14,044,713 times
Reputation: 3482
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
What does this even mean?

The south went from voting from FDR to voting to Reagan. It went from a Democratic stronghold to a GOP stronghold. My point is you can say the 'identity' of the region changed a long time ago. It is also went to an area that supported slavery and segregation to not supporting those things. This is history, not conjecture.

In 1932, 98 percent of the voters in SC voted for FDR. He's considered the father of liberalism in this country.
They voted for FDR because he was a Democrat, not because he was a liberal. George Wallace was a Dem, too (but hardly a liberal), and Alabamians voted him as there governor more than once, and voted for his wife after ol' george died. They were among the last of the "Dixiecrats". The parties were not so polarized back then. At them Dem conventions you'd see Union men and segregationists together, and at the GOP's there'd be Midwestern farmers together with Wall St. Bankers and the "investor class".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:22 PM
 
Location: Nashville TN, Cincinnati, OH
1,798 posts, read 1,160,832 times
Reputation: 2321
No they just call Northerners Yankees and Carpet Baggers or liberals from up North. Since I am Swedish nobody cares but people often say I thought you were be taller and blonder. South is quite diverse now even in Nashville we have a lot of Asians, Latinos and Middle Eastern people. Atlanta is more diverse because it is an international city that has a large corporate presence ever since the 1996 Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:26 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ben Around View Post
They voted for FDR because he was a Democrat, not because he was a liberal. George Wallace was a Dem, too (but hardly a liberal), and Alabamians voted him as there governor more than once, and voted for his wife after ol' george died. They were among the last of the "Dixiecrats". The parties were not so polarized back then. At them Dem conventions you'd see Union men and segregationists together, and at the GOP's there'd be Midwestern farmers together with Wall St. Bankers and the "investor class".
Neither FDR or George Wallace can be characterized as conservative. Recent Democratic presidents like Obama have praised FDR as one of the best presidents. I believe their views on economics and the general role of government are similar to the Democratic party's views today. I don't think Reagan sounded anything like FDR or George Wallace. I cannot see the average FDR voter voting for Reagan. The south went from strongly fiscally liberal to fiscally conservative in 50 years.

My point is the south has already lost its original 'identity' because of transplants. A lot of people act like transplants moving to the south is a new thing but it has been going on for decades.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-16-2018 at 09:34 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:33 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,849 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuit_head View Post
No it isn't...LOL. Just lots of cognitive dissonance and conjecture from that poster
He's your typical delusional southerner.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-16-2018, 09:35 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
You say I'm delusional but you can't prove that I'm getting facts wrong. If I'm delusional, it should be a piece of cake to show that I'm wrong. I would love to hear somebody explain how FDR was a conservative.

You guys think saying things like 'cognitive dissonance' is a debate winner. Anybody can make that assertion though.

All I'm saying is the south's political identity has already changed once in a large part due to transplants. This doesn't seem controversial to me. In my view, FDR and Reagan are opposite sides of the political spectrum. The southern states went from supporting politicians like FDR to politicians like Reagan.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-16-2018 at 10:26 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 06:56 AM
 
Location: Mid Atlantic USA
12,332 posts, read 10,298,159 times
Reputation: 5394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
You say I'm delusional but you can't prove that I'm getting facts wrong. If I'm delusional, it should be a piece of cake to show that I'm wrong. I would love to hear somebody explain how FDR was a conservative.

You guys think saying things like 'cognitive dissonance' is a debate winner. Anybody can make that assertion though.

All I'm saying is the south's political identity has already changed once in a large part due to transplants. This doesn't seem controversial to me. In my view, FDR and Reagan are opposite sides of the political spectrum. The southern states went from supporting politicians like FDR to politicians like Reagan.

Have you forgotten that Reagan was a huge supporter of FDR. I believe he voted for him lol. Check it out. He idolized FDR, but became disillusioned with the Democratic party after the war. But in the depths of the depression Reagan believed FDR saved the US from Communism.

People tend to forget that at the time, almost all the major economists in the US were saying the Depression would last decades. Unemployment rate was 25% with very little govt help to the poor. People were eating oatmeal for breakfast lunch and dinner and anything they could get. Even scraps. There was real hunger and starvation in the US. Slowly the American people were turning their backs on Capitalism and support for a revolution was growing and support for Communism was growing. In fact, in 1936 FDR was challenged from the left for the nomination by Huey P Long. Know what his platform was? Complete redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor thru massive taking over of their assets. He was quite popular, and if he hadn't been assassinated who knows what might have happened.

FDR actually saved American Capitalism. And Reagan believed that as well. One time when asked what his ideology was, FDR answered simply:

"I am a Christian and a Democrat." He was a devout Christian (Episcopalian). His base instincts growing up were conservative, but his polio and the severe depths of the Great Depression changed his outlook.

Another interesting tidbit was they interviewed the woman from the iconic photo from the Dust Bowl holding her three children on a shanty type front porch. She was asked if her generation ever gave up hope:
“Did you ever lose hope?” I asked.
“Nope,” she said, snapping off a flower to take a sniff. “If I’d’a lost hope, this country never would have made it.”
FDR gave people hope the govt was doing everything it could to help return to prosperity.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 09:15 AM
 
29,891 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
This is probably one of the most annoying things I hear. Were northerners complaining about us ruining their culture when we were flooding their cities in the 20th century? Detroit didn't go from 465k to 1.8 million people in 40 years just from births.
I get your overall point, but in response to this question, actually many of them were. Of course, this phenomenon had a huge racial component to it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 11:07 AM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
Have you forgotten that Reagan was a huge supporter of FDR. I believe he voted for him lol. Check it out. He idolized FDR, but became disillusioned with the Democratic party after the war. But in the depths of the depression Reagan believed FDR saved the US from Communism.

People tend to forget that at the time, almost all the major economists in the US were saying the Depression would last decades. Unemployment rate was 25% with very little govt help to the poor. People were eating oatmeal for breakfast lunch and dinner and anything they could get. Even scraps. There was real hunger and starvation in the US. Slowly the American people were turning their backs on Capitalism and support for a revolution was growing and support for Communism was growing. In fact, in 1936 FDR was challenged from the left for the nomination by Huey P Long. Know what his platform was? Complete redistribution of wealth from the rich to the poor thru massive taking over of their assets. He was quite popular, and if he hadn't been assassinated who knows what might have happened.

FDR actually saved American Capitalism. And Reagan believed that as well. One time when asked what his ideology was, FDR answered simply:

"I am a Christian and a Democrat." He was a devout Christian (Episcopalian). His base instincts growing up were conservative, but his polio and the severe depths of the Great Depression changed his outlook.

Another interesting tidbit was they interviewed the woman from the iconic photo from the Dust Bowl holding her three children on a shanty type front porch. She was asked if her generation ever gave up hope:
“Did you ever lose hope?” I asked.
“Nope,” she said, snapping off a flower to take a sniff. “If I’d’a lost hope, this country never would have made it.”
FDR gave people hope the govt was doing everything it could to help return to prosperity.
I don't think you are going to find any conservative that agrees with you that FDR was a conservative. I think if you poll Democratic voters today on best presidents, FDR will be in top 3 for most.

Reagan will be in top 3 for Republicans with no FDR.

The South went from a region that Democratic party dominated to a GOP area. This was because of the transplants moving in. That's why Nixon won Virginia, the Carolinas, Tenn, and Florida in 1968 but lost the 'deep south' states to the Dixiecrat / former Democrat George Wallace. THere were more transplants in the states Nixon won.

The south may lose its current polical identity given more liberals appear to be moving in than in previous decades but I think it has already changed identity at least once in a significant way.

I see people associate sweet tea and grits with the south. I rarely drink tea or eat grits and i grew up in SC in the 1980s. I wouldn't be surprised if Coke/Pepsi and other drinks are more favored by native southerners over sweet tea, and more native southerners favor cereal and other breakfest foods over grits . I'm surprised the south isn't associated more with soft drinks because Coke and Pepsi were invented in the south.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-17-2018 at 11:39 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 11:12 AM
 
321 posts, read 160,297 times
Reputation: 202
It's not losing it's identity, it's becoming the New South.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/New_South
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top