Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2018, 11:12 AM
_OT

2,183 posts, read 2,417,464 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constant_Turmoil View Post
Unless you're in Palm Beach County. Which is generally New York City South. Which I'm perfectly okay with, as I am a New Yorker.
Palm Beach County

Full of Northerners and wannabe Southerners.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2018, 12:29 PM

8,302 posts, read 5,701,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jandrew5 View Post
I was flipped off by someone with a Georgia tag because they thought I honked at them for sitting at a green light (I didnt). But I’m sure it was really a New Yorker driving. No way would a native ever be that rude, right.
Imagine a whole bunch of natives from Chicago, Detroit and NYC converging with rural Alabama / Georgia natives to form one city. You will essentially have "Atlanta" and the Atlanta driver.

At least that's how I describe it to my mom.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:45 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BamaDave View Post
I've lived and/or worked in several Southeastern metropolitan areas. Thoughts:

Memphis - Still very Southern. You won't question it!

New Orleans - Was already a unique island in the South with different culture and a very different accent. That hasn't changed, although my friends there tell me things are very different (even with the food scene) post-Katrina as more people move in and gentrification occurs.

Birmingham - Same as Memphis. Strong Southern culture.

Atlanta - Still retains Southern characteristics, especially in the outlying areas; but VERY different feel from Birmingham or Memphis. My Mom lives in Marietta, and it fascinates me to walk into the nearby Publix and see the mixed array of employees from all over the world.

Raleigh/Durham - Similar to Atlanta... diluted Southern culture, although outlying areas are still very North Carolina. My wife and I really enjoyed the diversity of the people.

Huntsville/Decatur - Huntsville is more akin to Atlanta and Raleigh-Durham in terms of diluted Southern feel, but you don't have to venture far out of town to be back in hardcore Bama. Decatur is Old South, like a different planet from Huntsville only 20 miles down the road. Cliquish, everybody knows everyone else, Roll Tide Roll, huntin' and gunz... you know you're in the South!
Raliegh has an even more dilluted southern feel than Atlanta due to its proximity to the northeast.

Old 05-02-2018, 05:53 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,399,177 times
Hunting and college football are popular with people all across the country.

Old 05-03-2018, 07:22 AM

32 posts, read 50,198 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by _OT View Post
Palm Beach County

Full of Northerners and wannabe Southerners.
Yes! THANK GOD!

Old 05-03-2018, 07:59 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwalker96 View Post
Raliegh has an even more dilluted southern feel than Atlanta due to its proximity to the northeast.
So Raleigh has an even more diluted feel than Miami also?

Old 05-03-2018, 11:38 AM

35,060 posts, read 31,284,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
So Raleigh has an even more diluted feel than Miami also?
I wouldn't say that at all. Miami is borderline Latin American. Raleigh is thoroughly American with a mild Southern influence.

Old 05-03-2018, 12:13 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Serious Conversation View Post
I wouldn't say that at all. Miami is borderline Latin American. Raleigh is thoroughly American with a mild Southern influence.
I said that because mwalker96 stated that Raleigh has a more diluted Southern feel than Atlanta due to Raleigh's proximity to the Northeast. So using that logic, I wanted to know if Raleigh had a more diluted Southern feel than Miami also.

And how can Raleigh have a "mild Southern influence" when it is very much IN the South and surrounded by the South on all sides?

Old 05-03-2018, 07:51 PM

1,094 posts, read 807,952 times
Quote:
I said that because mwalker96 stated that Raleigh has a more diluted Southern feel than Atlanta due to Raleigh's proximity to the Northeast. So using that logic, I wanted to know if Raleigh had a more diluted Southern feel than Miami also.

And how can Raleigh have a "mild Southern influence" when it is very much IN the South and surrounded by the South on all sides?
Raliegh is only 4 hrs away from DC which is pretty close compared to Atlanta and from my experience, as someone who only lives 2 hrs away from Raleigh and visits there frequently, I don't hear any strong southern accents over there compared to other cites in the south. Atlanta while pretty much the poster child for the modern south still has strong southern history, being that it played a big role during the civil war and civil rights era. The natives in Atlanta still gives off the classic southern accent while Raleigh natives gives off the southern-lite accent.

Old 05-04-2018, 09:20 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,552,972 times
Quote:

What is wrong with having a southern influence?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.