U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 04:42 PM

28 posts, read 27,489 times

Advertisements

I am not from the South or the US so i've never been to the South but I am wondering if due to all the transplants in recent years in cities like Atlanta, is the South is losing it's identity?.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 05:50 PM

7,742 posts, read 9,040,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveStavroz View Post
I am not from the South or the US so i've never been to the South but I am wondering if due to all the transplants in recent years in cities like Atlanta, is the South is losing it's identity?.
Maybe urban areas but not the rural areas.

Old 04-14-2018, 05:56 PM

5,900 posts, read 6,331,845 times
A lot of places are losing their identities due to transplants.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:25 PM

2,753 posts, read 1,714,945 times
There's still southern culture to be found in the south, even in its larger, more cosmopolitan cities. I don't think it will ever be 100% diluted. But, like mentioned above, go to a rural area anywhere in the south and southern culture is about all you get.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:52 PM

6,592 posts, read 3,674,133 times
The southern states have a varied culture with some similarities across state lines. Virginia and Alabama and Texas are still quite different from each other. A person born and raised In Mississippi or Louisiana would find the southern culture different in Virginia or North Carolina. While there are a lot of transplants in the south they are everywhere. Transplants make a difference but I suspect creeping modernity is more likely the cause of cultural change. People are moving around within the south and experiencing new things, ideas, and values that were unheard of a couple generations earlier. One of the core traditional values has been a focus and support for the military. The military is also in a state of change and modernization. I think this process is happening all over the world but not always welcomed.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:36 PM

3,512 posts, read 4,964,318 times
Many younger generation American speakers have lost their distinctive regional accents, due to constant exposure to television, motion pictures, and other media. This is true in the Southern states, as well as the Boston area in the northeast. Also, young people in the coastal South, are losing their traditional non-rhotic pronounciation, and adopting the pronounciation of the inland or Appalachian southern region (possibly because the latter is the standard accent among country-music recording artists). For instance, no one would guess that television host Stephen Colbert grew up in Charleston, South Carolina.

Localities such as Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (home of the enormous "Research Triangle Park"....Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia (several huge military bases).....Atlanta, Georgia.....urban cities of Texas.....northern Arkansas (retirees/ pensioners) and of course most of Florida, these areas have had a large influx of transplants from outside the South.

Old 04-15-2018, 05:28 AM

425 posts, read 294,948 times
Nope. Places donít lose their identity due to other people moving to that place. People have been relocating across this country for generations, this is nothing new. I think many people seek out familiarity when relocating or traveling so they notice things that are familiar and seek them out.

The regions of the United States are still very diverse and distinct from each other, just have to look for it.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:01 AM

6,874 posts, read 6,199,647 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KY_Transplant View Post
Nope. Places donít lose their identity due to other people moving to that place. People have been relocating across this country for generations, this is nothing new. I think many people seek out familiarity when relocating or traveling so they notice things that are familiar and seek them out.

The regions of the United States are still very diverse and distinct from each other, just have to look for it.
This is an interesting point. However I don't think it is entirely accurate. Do you think the migration of say the people across the Oregon trail in the 1850s to the Pacific NW is the same type of relocation as people today having their stuff packed into moving vans, catching a flight to Portland and Seattle and watching the movers put their stuff into their new digs? There are many places in the west particularly where there are more move ins than natives. That changes the feel of a place. Large population gains do the same. Phoenix today certainly isn't the same as Phoenix in 1950.

However I think what you describing is the new reality. We might as well get used to it.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:14 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,523,355 times
A large portion of Southern Culture is Black American Culture, that'll never die.

Old 04-15-2018, 06:25 AM
_OT

2,144 posts, read 1,523,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowlane3 View Post
Many younger generation American speakers have lost their distinctive regional accents, due to constant exposure to television, motion pictures, and other media. This is true in the Southern states, as well as the Boston area in the northeast. Also, young people in the coastal South, are losing their traditional non-rhotic pronounciation, and adopting the pronounciation of the inland or Appalachian southern region (possibly because the latter is the standard accent among country-music recording artists). For instance, no one would guess that television host Stephen Colbert grew up in Charleston, South Carolina.

Localities such as Raleigh-Durham, North Carolina (home of the enormous "Research Triangle Park"....Richmond and Norfolk, Virginia (several huge military bases).....Atlanta, Georgia.....urban cities of Texas.....northern Arkansas (retirees/ pensioners) and of course most of Florida, these areas have had a large influx of transplants from outside the South.
Not that anyone cares or not, but YBN Nahmir, a rising rapper, is from Birmingham, but no one would've probably guessed if he didn't say anything about it, same for Singer/Actor Jordan Fisher.

I think most of the younger generation throughout the South, especially in the Suburbs, don't typically sound "Southern." But I think that's just due to the influence of the Internet/Social Networking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or