U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intimidating for a visitor to drive in?
Boston 64 34.97%
New York 102 55.74%
Philadelphia 14 7.65%
Baltimore 6 3.28%
DC 16 8.74%
Pittsburgh 8 4.37%
Detroit 5 2.73%
Cleveland 1 0.55%
Cincinnati 2 1.09%
Chicago 14 7.65%
Denver 0 0%
Seattle 8 4.37%
San Fransisco 26 14.21%
LA 30 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2018, 01:04 PM

4,839 posts, read 2,973,256 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessemh431 View Post
Is it all the Angelenos moving there? Lol
Driven in LA too. Yeah, way more crowded but idk, Denver drivers are just selfish and careless.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2018, 12:45 AM

2,768 posts, read 1,130,482 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pnwguy2 View Post
Boston, but I base this on a trip in the 80's. Not sure if it has changed. What I found back then was a complete disregard to logical traffic laws. And drivers who seem to be driving blind. I never had seen such aggressive driving, even in Manhattan, NY. In fact, on the same trip I thought NYC drivers were polite compared to Bostonians.

My memories:

Illegal shoulder driving to avoid traffic
Round-a-bout lack of courtesy
Taking needless chances
Cutting other drivers off for no apparent reason
Displaying a lack of situational awareness
One thing I noticed is that roundabouts in Massachusetts don't have any markings on the pavement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7435...7i13312!8i6656

It is essentially a free-for-all because nobody bothers to follow the right etiquette and you get idiots using the outside lane to go around.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:27 PM

29,873 posts, read 27,324,185 times
The traffic signals on the mounted vertical poles at intersection corners in DC used to really trip me up and I almost ran a red light more than a few times. I'm used to the overhead mast/arm poles and wires.

Old 05-16-2018, 06:49 PM

24,962 posts, read 23,873,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewjdeg View Post
One thing I noticed is that roundabouts in Massachusetts don't have any markings on the pavement.

https://www.google.com/maps/@41.7435...7i13312!8i6656

It is essentially a free-for-all because nobody bothers to follow the right etiquette and you get idiots using the outside lane to go around.
New Jersey has some.

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.8867...7i13312!8i6656

Old 05-16-2018, 06:52 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,160,209 times
Ihonestly did not think LA was that bad, yes traffic was bad but the drivers I thought were pretty good and way better than the Northeast. Boston and NYC drivers are nuts but the worst I seen is Miami and parts of Florida. I would never drive a fancy car in Boston or NYC it is a waste of time.

Old 05-17-2018, 09:57 AM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
Phoenix is a horrible city to drive in, even for locals. I cannot imagine the frustration for visitors; although I'm sure some visitors contribute to the frustration. Phoenix has some of the nicest freeways in the country and has a very easy grid layout. Having said that, the flow of traffic varies and sometimes that flow demands that everyone drive 75 or more in a 55 mph stretch and drivers are not patient even for those going 65-70 sometimes. Drivers are also not very patient on side streets and main thoroughfares, don't use traffic signals often, and sometimes appear aggressive and mean-spirited. Then there are the idiots who don't know what the hell they are doing and when you try to politely let someone into a lane, they get pi$$ed at you.

I won't even go into detail about the significant wrong-way driving issue that exists here.

Old 05-17-2018, 11:17 AM

1,583 posts, read 2,013,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZLiam View Post
Phoenix is a horrible city to drive in, even for locals. I cannot imagine the frustration for visitors; although I'm sure some visitors contribute to the frustration. Phoenix has some of the nicest freeways in the country and has a very easy grid layout. Having said that, the flow of traffic varies and sometimes that flow demands that everyone drive 75 or more in a 55 mph stretch and drivers are not patient even for those going 65-70 sometimes. Drivers are also not very patient on side streets and main thoroughfares, don't use traffic signals often, and sometimes appear aggressive and mean-spirited. Then there are the idiots who don't know what the hell they are doing and when you try to politely let someone into a lane, they get pi$$ed at you.

I won't even go into detail about the significant wrong-way driving issue that exists here.
If anyone finds Phoenix challenging or intimidating to drive in, please do the world a favor and never drive again. Phoenix doesn’t hold a candle to any of the cities mentioned. The roads are straight and are in good shape relative to most cities, the city is laid out in an almost perfect grid, there is virtually no street parking on any of the arterial streets in the entire city, signage is excellent, there is VERY little traffic compared to cities with a similar population, very few people honk their horns, and the freeways are wide and very empty outside of rush hour periods. If you don’t drive like a clown, you will likely not experience any road rage. The problem is that many drivers in Phoenix are just not very intelligent, resulting in the high accident rate, wrong way driving incidents, and impaired driving incidents.

Old 05-17-2018, 12:02 PM

5,642 posts, read 7,442,969 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
If anyone finds Phoenix challenging or intimidating to drive in, please do the world a favor and never drive again. Phoenix doesnít hold a candle to any of the cities mentioned. The roads are straight and are in good shape relative to most cities, the city is laid out in an almost perfect grid, there is virtually no street parking on any of the arterial streets in the entire city, signage is excellent, there is VERY little traffic compared to cities with a similar population, very few people honk their horns, and the freeways are wide and very empty outside of rush hour periods. If you donít drive like a clown, you will likely not experience any road rage. The problem is that many drivers in Phoenix are just not very intelligent, resulting in the high accident rate, wrong way driving incidents, and impaired driving incidents.
I never said it was challenging nor intimidating, but frustrating and horrible due to other drivers on the road. Thanks for recapping everything else though.

Old 06-17-2018, 10:39 AM

10,674 posts, read 8,179,948 times
Only in Florida

https://instagram.com/p/BkBhJenl70W/

Old 06-18-2018, 07:59 AM

21,180 posts, read 30,336,326 times
Te fact that NYC seems to be winning primarily due to perception cracks me up. It's really not bad at all in Manhattan and is pretty easy until you get over the bridges/tunnels into places like Long Island or Queens where it can really get hairy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or