Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Most intimidating for a visitor to drive in?
Boston 64 34.97%
New York 102 55.74%
Philadelphia 14 7.65%
Baltimore 6 3.28%
DC 16 8.74%
Pittsburgh 8 4.37%
Detroit 5 2.73%
Cleveland 1 0.55%
Cincinnati 2 1.09%
Chicago 14 7.65%
Denver 0 0%
Seattle 8 4.37%
San Fransisco 26 14.21%
LA 30 16.39%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 183. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2018, 07:31 PM

3,291 posts, read 2,772,549 times

Advertisements

Which large cities are most intimidating to drive for visitors? Don't include dangerous neighborhoods or typical traffic in this - what I mean is just how difficult it is for an outsider to get around normally. This has been simplified a lot by GPS systems but it still can be a challenge to get where you need to go, and there are factors like geographical, signage, and just the layout of the city where you can easily get lost or miss key signs that point you in the right direction. I realize traffic is a factor meaning you might have to take a different route, but I don't want it to be about traffic in general.

I hope I included most of the prime candidates, but am adding an Other option for those I missed, so feel free to elaborate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-14-2018, 07:50 PM

10,749 posts, read 23,819,647 times
I think the Cross Bronx Expressway must exist somewhere in hell. NYC, absolutely love it. But I detest driving anywhere within a 50 mile radius of it.

Old 04-14-2018, 07:53 PM
BMI

7,454 posts, read 7,272,185 times
New York City ...just the thought of driving in it

Old 04-14-2018, 08:51 PM

9,398 posts, read 8,877,334 times
Boston, but I base this on a trip in the 80's. Not sure if it has changed. What I found back then was a complete disregard to logical traffic laws. And drivers who seem to be driving blind. I never had seen such aggressive driving, even in Manhattan, NY. In fact, on the same trip I thought NYC drivers were polite compared to Bostonians.

My memories:

Illegal shoulder driving to avoid traffic
Round-a-bout lack of courtesy
Taking needless chances
Cutting other drivers off for no apparent reason
Displaying a lack of situational awareness

Old 04-14-2018, 09:00 PM

7,032 posts, read 14,482,104 times
San Francisco, NYC and Los Angeles: Traffic and hectic driving style.

Metro Detroit: those Michigan left turns can be very confusing to outsiders.

Virgin Islands: driving on the left. Nuff said.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:00 PM

1,013 posts, read 912,368 times
NY because of the sheer size it’s intimidating.

Boston crazy drivers!

NJ, CT Philly and Baltimore dishonorable mention!

I’m in these cities driving regularly, or in a lyft and they’re all challenging especially in rush or there’s bad weather or construction.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:12 PM

1,702 posts, read 1,261,229 times
From DC to NYC is terrible. Aggressive is an understatement and being in one traffic jam there will have you understand why they are the way they are.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:26 PM

102 posts, read 117,792 times
Let me do a write-in vote for Dallas.

It's not so much aggressive driving as it is a complete disregard for other people's safety. Not helping is every other automobile is some big pickup truck, which sucks if you drive a small car like mine.

Only place where I've actually felt real terror driving.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:35 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,500,469 times
I'm from the SF Bay Area, and lived many years in WA, including Seattle.

I don't know many of the other cities listed.

I find Seattle to be the scariest city to get around now, mainly because of the freeway driving. People drive like maniacs on the freeway. If you don't know what you're doing, which lane you should be in, etc., you feel at any moment like you could die. Not kidding. It's fast and really dang scary. The last time I drove through - and all we were trying to do was get to Canada, not even negotiate any exits - the lanes all of a sudden were gone, and we were supposed to merge with nearly zero warning, and nobody would let us in. We really thought we were going to die.

This is especially weird, because the rest of the state is really mellow to drive in. But, Seattle has become completely insane, suicidal, homicidal, you name it, but intensely frightening. I can't even think of strong enough words.

San Francisco is really frustrating to drive in, but the traffic doesn't move at an insanely fast pace. It's slow because of all of the lights, but you'll realize you're in a wrong lane, and have to negotiate your way around a bunch of blocks to find your way back to where you wanted to be. It's frustrating, but you don't feel like you're about to die any minute.

Los Angeles, which I haven't driven in in many, many years, was more about just getting stuck in traffic jams. But, not about feeling you were about to die from the speed and psychopathic nature of fellow drivers on the road.

Something really weird is up with Seattle. It didn't used to be so insane. Maybe it's the coffee.

Old 04-14-2018, 09:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 3,219,854 times
I hated driving in San Francisco. A lot like Seattle when you are driving up the hills. At the time I drove a stick shift and you had to have a very intelligent foot to not roll back too much when starting out. Automatics are not too bad.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.