U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 03-30-2008, 08:59 PM

352 posts, read 1,141,954 times
I think you would be pleasantly surprised with Denver, CO.
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2008, 09:26 PM

7,385 posts, read 14,139,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by househunter63 View Post
What are the top places for a gay man to live? Give me your opinion. The common answer is San Francisco, but it's so expensive. What other places do you recommend?
Uh, San Francisco is just a stereotype. There are more gay people per capita in Rochester, MN.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:27 PM

7,385 posts, read 14,139,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by londonbarcelona View Post

For what it's worth, I have a sister who is gay, she lives in Santa Cruz. She loves it there.
Santa Cruz is the most liberal city in America. It is also the most expensive, per capita.

Old 03-30-2008, 09:48 PM

1,323 posts, read 2,327,206 times
Chicago is great. Two very cool gayish neighborhoods (Lakeview and Andersonville). Both totally "walkable" in terms of tons of shops, grocery stores, restaurants, people on the street everywhere but not overcrowded, parks, running paths nearby, and plenty of gay bars and coffeehouses.Moderator cut: link to a competitors site removed

Last edited by Yac; 04-07-2008 at 05:44 AM..

Old 03-30-2008, 09:56 PM

15,193 posts, read 20,714,966 times
Denver, CO

Old 03-31-2008, 09:05 PM

13 posts, read 30,660 times
Columbus, Oh, strangely, is a pretty gay-friendly place to live. There's a huge gay community, gay-pride parade every year, pretty liberal city. I'm hetero, but have a lot of homosexual friends that thrive in Columbus. Strange to say, since it's the capital of a red state...

Old 04-23-2008, 09:38 PM

5 posts, read 22,839 times
Default ***** Columbus

I second the shout out to Columbus. I lived there for 6 years (I'm a gay man) and had the time of my life. It's a nice size, has GORGEOUS urban neighborhoods, and a MUCH better gay nightlife than my current city of Seattle. Oh, and people are actually friendly there. The friends I have that are still there all own cute houses in the city that they got cheap, and then have enough money left over to travel to Europe or Hawaii once a year when they want to get out of Ohio for a bit. Here in Seattle we are all just working to get by and we have to love the city because we can't afford extravagant vacations.

So, Columbus will never be considered the most exciting city (although it's got more than enough to keep even the most urbane gay person interested). But more importantly, it's got that perfect quality-of-life balance. You won't sit in traffic, and you'll actually be able to afford to try the best restaurants in town (and there are many).

I'm considering a move back. Andrew Collins wrote in Fodor's Gay Guide to the USA that Columbus is so charming that if only it was surrounded by mountains or on a bay, Tony Bennett would have written a song about it.

Old 04-23-2008, 09:45 PM

8,377 posts, read 20,075,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Luv View Post
Uh, San Francisco is just a stereotype. There are more gay people per capita in Rochester, MN.
Actually...

Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely gay men couples (counted as self-reported male-male unmarried-partner households) (population 5,000+)
Don't see Rochester, MN

And for it's size, yes, SF is number one, followed by Cathedral City, CA (near Palm Springs), Ft. Lauderdale, FL, Seattle and Oakland. So it's true.
Top 101 cities with the largest percentage of likely homosexual households (counted as self-reported same-sex unmarried-partner households) (population 50,000+)

Old 05-14-2008, 05:17 PM

3 posts, read 22,943 times
Columbus has a huge gay population and is very gay-friendly.
It's boring as hell here though.
The flip-side is that the cost of living is not bad so you can afford to get out of town when you want too.
Beware: The gay community in Columbus is very clicky...especially amongst the men. Although, I'm sure the guys can give you a better perspective on that.

Good luck!

Old 05-14-2008, 05:54 PM

43 posts, read 165,717 times
Yes Houston has a very large gay community.. one of the biggest in the US.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.