U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 02:07 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,163,901 times

Advertisements

People again, cities like Boston, NYC, Chicago and LA are already top world class international cities even Atlanta has reached that since the 1996 Olympics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2018, 02:10 PM

2,797 posts, read 1,641,289 times
Baltimore, Detroit, Wilmington DE, Greensboro and Spokane are my top picks.

Old 04-19-2018, 02:42 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,238,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kmanshouse View Post
Why does that make it better? Outrageous fast growth usually makes a city worse, IMHO.
Yep. Especially if it can't manage that growth. For every "creative" person moving to Austin, there's at least 10 others moving there solely for jobs and the relatively lower COL. But hype would have you believe it's the other way around. Suburban places like Round Rock are rapidly growing.

Old 04-19-2018, 07:05 PM

1,153 posts, read 1,476,328 times
I think LA is going to be great in 20-30 years.

Here is a list of things that will open in the next 5 years.

Public Transit - Purple Line Extension, Crenshaw Line, Regional Connector Metro lines.

LAX Improvements - Midfield Concourse adding more gates, Domestic Terminal renovateds and connection to International Terminal, people mover to connect terminals to Metro rail/buses and consolidated rental car facility.

NFL Football stadium Inglewood for Rams and Charger

Los Angeles Football Club Banc of California Stadium opens this week.

LA Memorial Coliseum is renovated for USC football team and 2028 Olympics

George Lucas Museum broke ground and will open in a few year.

"Oscars" museum for motion pictures is being built and should open next year.

Downtown's iconic 6th Bridge was torn down and a bigger flashy bridge is being constructed.

Disneyland is building new attractions like the Star Wars area.

From 5-30 years? Hard to say, but from what I read.....

Continued expansion of Metro rail building adding maybe 100 more miles throughout the county.

Continued housing building but more vertical growth and density.

Improved LA Union Station with run-through tracks to increase capacity and time of trains. Also connection of high speed rail. Fix the narrow hall by expanding it.

Billion(s) dollar to fix the LA River by making it more accessible and park-like. Connected bike trail. remove cement bottom to allow trees, plants. This would create a nearly 30 mile long riverside park from mouth of the Pacific Ocean up to Downtown LA and Griffith Park.

Large expansion of the LA Convention Center. Currently has thousands of hotel rooms being built esp in Downtown.

Not sure what else. The ongoing improvement of poorer areas of LA will make them more desirable. Place like Downtown, Hollywood were dumps 20 years ago but so much investment and rejuvenation are making these areas very nice paces to go and spend time and both are urban and well connected by urban rail. There are many other areas improving. There is a shift in LA from the Westside (Beverly Hills, Westwood, West Hollywood, Fairfax District) to the Eastside (Hollywood, Koreatown, Downtown, Echo Park). Nightlife is very big in Downtown and Hollywood. Most of the new hip hotels are built in Downtown and Hollywood. Homes in certain parts of the eastside like Los Feliz, SilverLake, Echo park are asking $1 million+. Many of the hiphipsters are moving to cheaper areas of the eastside, gentrifying poorer areas.

Old 04-19-2018, 10:47 PM

769 posts, read 712,647 times
I vote Philadelphia. As a visitor a few years ago, I was really impressed with what it has to offer, given how overlooked it is versus the usual suspects nearby (NY, Boston, DC). Downtown and adjacent areas were vibrant/full of character, and very walkable/bikeable. It's also full of great food, good nightlife, and interesting historical/cultural attractions (The art museum is excellent....and not just for Rocky fans!). Granted, the city certainly still has it's fair share of problems, but I think the future is looking bright for it, as it's economy transitions away from older industries/becomes more diverse.

Old 04-19-2018, 11:53 PM

12,201 posts, read 10,422,845 times
I do agree with Philly being the next overly gentrified/hyped/destiny city which will become overpriced and lose its original character.

The main drawback for LA is lack of industry with enough well-paying jobs for people to afford the cost of living of the city. The Bay Area has enough tech workers who can afford their insane rents, NYC the finance sector etc. L.A. has traditionally been more blue-collar, but with the decline of defense and overall manufacturing jobs, there hasn't been enough of a replacement to sustain it as a mega-city.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:31 AM

2,166 posts, read 1,464,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I vote Philadelphia. As a visitor a few years ago, I was really impressed with what it has to offer, given how overlooked it is versus the usual suspects nearby (NY, Boston, DC). Downtown and adjacent areas were vibrant/full of character, and very walkable/bikeable. It's also full of great food, good nightlife, and interesting historical/cultural attractions (The art museum is excellent....and not just for Rocky fans!). Granted, the city certainly still has it's fair share of problems, but I think the future is looking bright for it, as it's economy transitions away from older industries/becomes more diverse.
Not be be critical, but why do so many people on c-d think that Boston and Philly are close by? they are a 5 hour drive apart, if no traffic. not so close. I guess its just the whole I-95 corridor impression, which is given way more importance than it merits, in terms of being a closely connected corridor. IMHO.

Old 04-20-2018, 08:38 AM

494 posts, read 254,858 times
The thread is about which cites will be better in 20-30 years not about what cities are world class and not. That being said, I would say Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte are the golden triangle to watch. The 3 cities are rapidly transforming now and adding tons of amenities, urbanizing at a rapid pace, and expanding transit.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:17 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,515,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
That's right, what city has the most potential. What city 20 - 30 years from now will be much better. Consider all the common things that normally are compared.

COL, QOL, politics, weather, scenery, food, natural disasters, culture etc.
I am absolutely biased, but St. Louis has a lot of untapped potential.

Cost of Living and housing is relatively low, especially in relation to wages. In some industries (particularly those that require college or tradeschool degree) there is actually a labor shortage!

Quality of life here was good when I was a young, single girl- plenty of bars, nightclubs and attractions to keep me entertained. Now as a married mother of 3, it is great. St. Louis has more free and affordable family attractions per capita than any other city in the U.S (true fact). Our Zoo, Museum, Science Center and Art gallery for instance are all free and awesome.

Politically, St. Louis City is Blue, as is most of the County. Other areas of the Metro however lean right. So there's something for everyone.

Weather is good by my standards. We have the 4 distinct seasons. Summer is hot but relatively short.

Scenery- ok we don't have any huge mountains, but we do have our rivers and rolling hills. We also have some pretty awesome architecture throughout the region.

Food- for a city of St. Louis's size there are a LOT of food choices, and an array of cuisines from all over the world. You dream it, we probably have it.

Natural Disasters- ok this is where we fall short. St. Louis is prone to flooding, tornadoes and earthquakes, but none occur often enough for it to be a source of worry for most.

Culture- there is a big mix of cultural elements in St. Louis, and there is plenty of history and cultural attractions. St. Louis has influences from all of it's major settlers over the years (including French, Spanish, German, Irish, Italian, Bosnian, Southern African Americans, etc etc).

All in all, I wouldn't live anywhere else

I genuinely think in 20-30 years, more people will have discovered how great it really is, and has the potential to be.

Old 04-20-2018, 12:20 PM

4,009 posts, read 5,515,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flightoficarus87 View Post
I already think Philadelphia is entirely awesome and is one of my favorite cities. So I agree, it is definitely one to watch.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or