U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2018, 12:56 PM

1,041 posts, read 522,212 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivory Lee Spurlock View Post
I-35 thru Austin is hardly a pile - most of the time. Usually I-35 thru Austin at rush hour is slow and go rather than go and stop, unless there is a wreck on the interstate that has brought the traffic to a complete stop.That happens occasionally, but normally it's a long slow drive with at least 6 lanes each way in bumper to bumper traffic, including the frontage road lanes along with the lanes on the actual interstate. I'd venture to guess there's about a 10% chance the traffic will come to complete stop while driving I-35 from GT to SM. Other wise it's about 57 miles and about a 90 minute drive from Georgetown to San Marcos during the 5 o'clock rush hour traffic. To make the trip at dark or between the hours of 10am to about 3pm it will take about an hour to make that drive. 35 traffic is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I-35's reputation thru Austin is much worse than the reality that it really is.
I disagree, I remember multiple 1.5 hour drives from Kyle to North Austin during the rush. What you're describing is a relatively light day for I-35. It's the worst corridor in the state imo. The West Loop in Houston may be a little worse, but its also a very short stretch.

My vote is Atlanta for this question. Newark a close second - incredible untapped potential there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2018, 01:05 PM

9,948 posts, read 6,886,330 times
Detroit- right now I think it is one of the most undervalued and underestimated regions. MSA areas are based on commuters, not pure population counts. Detroit could go from an MSA of 4.4 million to 5.2 million, overnight, by a simply change in the way people commute and it would still be in a smaller footprint than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. With a restructured auto industry and a core city with restructured finances, the area is primed for growth

Columbus, Oh

Nashville,

Atlanta - Maybe. I think what made Atlanta attractive initially does not exist as much anymore.

Old 04-23-2018, 09:56 PM

1,547 posts, read 710,668 times
South Bend and Pittsburgh. Certain Rust Belt cities are really turning around and attracting businesses and new residents.

Old 05-02-2018, 03:39 PM

3,597 posts, read 1,529,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
The thread is about which cites will be better in 20-30 years not about what cities are world class and not. That being said, I would say Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte are the golden triangle to watch. The 3 cities are rapidly transforming now and adding tons of amenities, urbanizing at a rapid pace, and expanding transit.
I agree with this

Old 05-03-2018, 06:20 AM

80 posts, read 30,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC2ATL60 View Post
The thread is about which cites will be better in 20-30 years not about what cities are world class and not. That being said, I would say Atlanta, Nashville and Charlotte are the golden triangle to watch. The 3 cities are rapidly transforming now and adding tons of amenities, urbanizing at a rapid pace, and expanding transit.
I don't think it will slow momentum all that much, but Nashville just voted No on transit proposals. It will probably be another 2-5 years before another major proposal gets significantly pushed.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:20 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
"What city has the most potential. What city 20 - 30 years from now will be much better. Consider all the common things that normally are compared.

COL, QOL, politics, weather, scenery, food, natural disasters, culture etc."

Based on the above criteria^^

Portland, OR
Nashville, TN
Raleigh-Durham, NC
Charlotte, NC
Atlanta, GA
Chattanooga, TN
Louisville, KY
Charleston, SC
Greenville, SC
Austin, TX

I think all of the above cities and their metro areas will continue to attract jobs like digital and content marketing, creatives, software and tech professionals, healthcare, education, and will continue to attract folks from the northeast and midwest for job opportunities, lower cost housing, warmer climate, and good quality of life.

I think out of the present day larger metros like Chicago, NYC, San Francisco, and Los Angeles; that LA will continue its mostly strong growth, but Chicago will continue to lose people and jobs, while San Fran and NYC will see their growth slow down and stabilize to very little numbers, as compared to the last 10 years or so.

Rust belt cities will still lose people and jobs, but those that follow great models to attract employers and revitalize and gentrify like Grand Rapids, MI, Detroit, MI, Columbus, OH and Pittsburgh, PA will be stable but not booming.

Cities/metros that will be in worse shape in 20-30 years, IMO, are:
Chicago, IL -- crime, cold winters, and high taxes will continue the slow "brain and job drain to the south and west"
St Louis, MO--crime and lack of job growth will shrink this city further and the metro area will see minimal growth, compared to a lot of others its size.
Baltimore, MD--crime will hamper growth, but will continue to revitalize/gentrify in pockets, but will struggle to boom/grow fast as compared to others its size.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:28 PM

29,944 posts, read 27,375,616 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Cities/metros that will be in worse shape in 20-30 years, IMO, are:
Chicago, IL -- crime, cold winters, and high taxes will continue the slow "brain and job drain to the south and west"
Ummmm...I don't think you understand what's happening in Chicago at all.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...cated-big-city
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...eak-in-decades

Old 05-03-2018, 08:38 PM

3,667 posts, read 8,773,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
Ummmm...I don't think you understand what's happening in Chicago at all.
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...cated-big-city
http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...eak-in-decades
Explain what is happening there that I don't understand?

I recruit and consult for a living, and speak with creative and marketing talent on a daily basis who are leaving the Chicago area fairly regularly.
Chicago is a major city, and will continue to be a powerful city, but in 20-30 years will it be better overall? It *might* be, but based on what I read and hear, it's a gamble and toss up...

Old 05-03-2018, 08:41 PM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,129 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
South Bend and Pittsburgh. Certain Rust Belt cities are really turning around and attracting businesses and new residents.
Pittsburgh ranks second to Chicago in the population loss category. We may even drop under 300,000 in the next census and Cincy may pass us in the population total.

Old 05-03-2018, 09:30 PM

3,221 posts, read 1,553,831 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Explain what is happening there that I don't understand?

I recruit and consult for a living, and speak with creative and marketing talent on a daily basis who are leaving the Chicago area fairly regularly.
Chicago is a major city, and will continue to be a powerful city, but in 20-30 years will it be better overall? It *might* be, but based on what I read and hear, it's a gamble and toss up...
Yes, it WILL Survive its issues. Your NYC did when bankrupt in 1975. It cut every service and was on its knees. Finally President Ford agreed to government loans and a new state governor.

This city has continued to renew and is booming core outward. High-rise construction continues and infill and gentrification. Amazon did not place it on its list .... if it sees it worst in the future. Even the Southside areas will gin renewal in the coming decades. Especially lf it empties out more and some great housing stock remains to be restored and new infill.

Chicago has a great layout of neighborhoods with standard frontage. Even its power-grid down its extensive alleyway system that frees fronts from ugly poles. Super-tall skyscrapers and near that height ..... are still getting built.

The state can't go bankrupt as the no state can. If there is a default .... the Feds will have to step in and whatever solution is found will move forward. Future pensions are the main issue that solutions can be found for.

The Great Chicago Hire. Why companies are flooding into the Windy City.

https://www.constructiondive.com/new...y-city/436514/

Chicago is No. 1 when it comes to corporations that want put down roots in a new location.

Site Selection magazine recently named Chicago as the “top metro area in the nation for corporate relocation and investment,” for the fifth straight year.

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/ch...cation-target/

Mapping the 50 high-rises under construction in Chicago.

https://chicago.curbed.com/maps/high...nstruction-map

I do not think this booming core .... one of the best on the Nation
with a live-in population that it evolved from in a few decades.... is going to decline.

Last edited by DavePa; 03-10-2019 at 08:10 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or