U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-07-2018, 09:56 AM

3,145 posts, read 2,828,809 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Buster View Post
Wrong. Going by percentage, the following cities lost more than Pittsburgh recently (Pittsburgh population has been basically flat -- any gain/loss reported is likely within the margin of error).

Chicago
Detroit
Memphis
Baltimore
Milwaukee
Long Beach
Cleveland
St. Louis
Toledo
Buffalo

All of those are doing worse than Pittsburgh in population loss, a lot of them are doing much worse.

http://worldpopulationreview.com/us-cities/
Your article based it's stats from 2015 and earlier. Pittsburgh had a bump in population in the early 10s but the trend has reversed.

Why Pittsburgh's population is still declining | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2018, 10:13 AM

10,558 posts, read 13,121,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Explain what is happening there that I don't understand?

I recruit and consult for a living, and speak with creative and marketing talent on a daily basis who are leaving the Chicago area fairly regularly.
Chicago is a major city, and will continue to be a powerful city, but in 20-30 years will it be better overall? It *might* be, but based on what I read and hear, it's a gamble and toss up...
Anecdotes vs. Census figures????

Old 05-07-2018, 10:45 AM

2,167 posts, read 1,464,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecarebear View Post
Your article based it's stats from 2015 and earlier. Pittsburgh had a bump in population in the early 10s but the trend has reversed.

Why Pittsburgh's population is still declining | Pittsburgh Post-Gazette
Wrong again. It has 2016 and 2018 numbers in there, I don't know how you could miss that.

Old 05-10-2018, 03:10 PM

7,906 posts, read 4,876,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by James Bond 007 View Post
Youngstown.
This Indiana Republicans leased the Indiana Toll Road, resulting in ever escalating tolls. The Ohio Republicans leveraged the Ohio Turnpike, also resulting in ever-escalating tolls. The money raised indirectly was used to bolster highway construction in the central and southern portions of both states.

So northern Ohio, Indiana, and Michigan must deal with some of the most expensive interstates in the country, while the I-70/I-65 corridor remains free.

The Republican controlled media in northern Ohio never raises this point and continues to endorse Republican candidates responsible for this tragedy.

Manufacturers dependent on east-west truck traffic, such as for just-in-time inventory, will avoid northern Ohio for many decades.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:54 AM

1,816 posts, read 3,426,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
Detroit- right now I think it is one of the most undervalued and underestimated regions. MSA areas are based on commuters, not pure population counts. Detroit could go from an MSA of 4.4 million to 5.2 million, overnight, by a simply change in the way people commute and it would still be in a smaller footprint than Atlanta, Houston, Dallas, etc. With a restructured auto industry and a core city with restructured finances, the area is primed for growth

Columbus, Oh

Nashville,

Atlanta - Maybe. I think what made Atlanta attractive initially does not exist as much anymore.
I think you're right-- at least about Nashville and Detroit. Columbus not so much. Atlanta has already arrived.

Old 05-11-2018, 09:58 AM

10,675 posts, read 8,196,651 times
Brooklyn NYC

Old 05-11-2018, 10:20 AM

494 posts, read 254,858 times
The Raleigh/Durham area has huge potential and is on the cusp of something major happening. Since the metro area has just passed the 2 million mark, the area is starting to see more and more amenities flood in and this is only the beginning.

Old 05-20-2018, 08:28 AM

2,452 posts, read 1,282,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Austin - Booming economy, creative energy, fun liberal utopia. It's the fastest growing major city in the US. Everyone is moving to Texas, and Austin has the fastest growth rate. So yeah, its going to get better.

Raleigh - Has much of the same benefits as Austin. The research triangle is the smartest region in the south. It usually is compared to a place like Austin. Austin is growing faster, but this area is doing quite well. It's benefit is that it is in probably the most beautiful southern state. It has nicer beaches and the mountains in the same state. High tech and improving.
South Texas beaches are nicer than anything in North Carolina when it comes to consistency in good quality water and weather.

Old 05-20-2018, 09:52 AM

1,021 posts, read 1,236,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjbradleynyc View Post
Explain what is happening there that I don't understand?

I recruit and consult for a living, and speak with creative and marketing talent on a daily basis who are leaving the Chicago area fairly regularly.
Chicago is a major city, and will continue to be a powerful city, but in 20-30 years will it be better overall? It *might* be, but based on what I read and hear, it's a gamble and toss up...

You really have to be in the dark in your recruiting and consulting job to come to a conclusion like that about Chicago, and as was said before be pretty mistaken. Chicago continues to become more educated with more corporate headquarters;. and any population loss it is experiencing is not professional, but from less affluent AAs leaving the west and south sides for the south and suburbs. If you only became aware of this now because of some "digging" (and that "digging" was just some information provided to you in this thread ) then you might want to change professions asap.

Last edited by Justabystander; 05-20-2018 at 10:32 AM..

Old 05-20-2018, 10:09 AM

23,096 posts, read 35,044,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texyn View Post
South Texas beaches are nicer than anything in North Carolina when it comes to consistency in good quality water and weather.
Considering that there is a far greater awareness and undoubtedly higher profile associated with the Outer Banks than with the south Texas coast, I would deem that a rather bombastic statement.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or