Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 10:03 PM

783 posts, read 694,872 times

Advertisements

That's right, what city has the most potential. What city 20 - 30 years from now will be much better. Consider all the common things that normally are compared.

COL, QOL, politics, weather, scenery, food, natural disasters, culture etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 08:31 AM

20,862 posts, read 9,527,489 times
Youngstown.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:39 PM

783 posts, read 694,872 times
So my top picks are

LA - the greatest city in North America

Has great weather, beaches, mountains everything. It still is getting better with measure M and the public transportation expanding greatly. Revitalization of the LA river and is a signal of the improving QOL in terms of the look and feel of LA. LA has everything, almost every major industry is located here. (Even Elon Musk lives here) Hopefully driverless cars will make traffic flow faster and easier. Also electric cars could contribute to cleaner air and one of our major issues. LA has three major problems that you hear people complain about.

1. The cost of housing
- This will probably stay high, yeah its the one problem LA might not really solve. It's upsides still outweight the downsides though. You can still find cheaper accommodations in South LA.

2. Traffic
- Driverless cars and better public transportation are on the way

3. Air Quality
- Electric vehicles will contribute to a much cleaner air.

Why live anywhere else?

Austin - Booming economy, creative energy, fun liberal utopia. It's the fastest growing major city in the US. Everyone is moving to Texas, and Austin has the fastest growth rate. So yeah, its going to get better.

Raleigh - Has much of the same benefits as Austin. The research triangle is the smartest region in the south. It usually is compared to a place like Austin. Austin is growing faster, but this area is doing quite well. It's benefit is that it is in probably the most beautiful southern state. It has nicer beaches and the mountains in the same state. High tech and improving.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:53 PM

1,122 posts, read 924,595 times
The Philly guys on this forum drive me nuts. But, Philly is going to undergo an extended period of explosive growth and become huge and massive. It may overtake and DC and Chicago in many urban categories in a few years.

Nimbyism will also, eventually rear its ugly head in Philly.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:58 PM

8,604 posts, read 14,883,453 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
Austin - Booming economy, creative energy, fun liberal utopia. It's the fastest growing major city in the US. Everyone is moving to Texas, and Austin has the fastest growth rate. So yeah, its going to get better.
For Austin's sake, they'd better hope driverless cars completely replace driver-operated ones soon. Traffic in Austin is ungodly terrible because the city's transportation infrastructure blows. I-35 through Austin is a total pile.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:39 AM

16,696 posts, read 29,515,591 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Logicist027 View Post
That's right, what city has the most potential. What city 20 - 30 years from now will be much better. Consider all the common things that normally are compared.

COL, QOL, politics, weather, scenery, food, natural disasters, culture etc.

Atlanta.

Old 04-18-2018, 12:46 AM

3,211 posts, read 2,241,848 times
I'll second Atlanta

Old 04-18-2018, 01:36 AM

4,503 posts, read 4,612,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescreen73 View Post
For Austin's sake, they'd better hope driverless cars completely replace driver-operated ones soon. Traffic in Austin is ungodly terrible because the city's transportation infrastructure blows. I-35 through Austin is a total pile.
I-35 thru Austin is hardly a pile - most of the time. Usually I-35 thru Austin at rush hour is slow and go rather than go and stop, unless there is a wreck on the interstate that has brought the traffic to a complete stop.That happens occasionally, but normally it's a long slow drive with at least 6 lanes each way in bumper to bumper traffic, including the frontage road lanes along with the lanes on the actual interstate. I'd venture to guess there's about a 10% chance the traffic will come to complete stop while driving I-35 from GT to SM. Other wise it's about 57 miles and about a 90 minute drive from Georgetown to San Marcos during the 5 o'clock rush hour traffic. To make the trip at dark or between the hours of 10am to about 3pm it will take about an hour to make that drive. 35 traffic is not nearly as bad as some people make it out to be. I-35's reputation thru Austin is much worse than the reality that it really is.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:22 AM

8,090 posts, read 6,959,050 times
Baltimore. Great location, good urban bones, major port, strong university presence. Severely undervalued. Philadelphia is a close second, but I think Phlly is a lot closer to fulfilling its potential than Baltimore is.

Old 04-18-2018, 07:36 AM

37,881 posts, read 41,926,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gladhands View Post
Baltimore. Great location, good urban bones, major port, strong university presence. Severely undervalued. Philadelphia is a close second, but I think Phlly is a lot closer to fulfilling its potential than Baltimore is.
I second this.

Also gotta mention Detroit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.