U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:54 PM

2,539 posts, read 1,687,821 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTXman34 View Post
How is Dallas an anomaly on the OP's list? Yet you list fairly similar cities such as Austin and Phoenix . If any city is an anomaly, it's Jacksonville. I've been to Phoenix and other than some of the outdoor options, it's not as vibrant as Dallas, especially the city proper. Austin is more like Dallas than any of the cities listed.
Itís not not a pricey as the coastal cities mentioned and yeah I shouldíve lumped Jacksonville in as different as well, just left it off by mistake. As an outdoor lover I personally wouldnít consider Dallas, Phoenix is vibrant enough and improving radically while offering a lot of outdoor options in close proximity. You can build a vibrant city anywhere, you canít change a cityís natural environment though.

Austin has hill country nearby, which offers some variety for hiking and biking. Iím not aware of anything like that near Dallas.

Maybe none of these fit the bill for the OP but worth exploring for any new grad imo, Dallas is a great city but it just doesnít work for me personally.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 09:24 AM

6 posts, read 3,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Do you already have a job lined up that will allow you to live anywhere? Just wondering how you have a rent budget already. $1200 is probably doable in most cities if you are flexible with roommates/amenities, but if you want to be in a trendy part of DC, Seattle, SoCal, and definitely SF/SV then you'd need to up that budget a lot.

Dallas, and Jacksonville even mores, is usually not on the shortlist for a liberal young professional graduating from in the NE. I'll just comment real quick on Jax...

It has by far the smallest pool of young professionals. It's not a bad place and the network is decent and growing, but it will probably feel very small and you'll undoubtedly start to see the same faces at YP social events or at the handful of nightlife areas.

Your stated rent budget would pretty much let you get an upgraded unit in any part of town you want.

Job market is healthy but so all the other places you mentioned are even more so.

Jax is not a liberal city. You can find your tribe for sure so that you won't feel alienated, but you will find many others who think differently and it could cause friction.

I pretty much run everyday when I'm in Jax, all year long. However in the summer months it is really only bearable early in the morning or late in the evening. Lots of people like to be outdoors all the time, with the plethora of water activities available, but I personally can't stand the summer humidity.

Good luck!

Don't have a job lined up but I am in a very lucrative major where you can get a job pretty much anywhere and am currently working PT with a global company with an option to work full time in almost any US city with them. Rent budget is based on the average starting salary for an average city (would make about 55k-60k) of course if I go somewhere that is considered very expensive such as SF, LA, DC, NYC etc. I would be making more and would be willing to spend more (1,600/month). I am okay with roommates or a small studio. Thank you all for your input!

Old 04-17-2018, 09:36 AM

2,539 posts, read 1,687,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skc1234 View Post
Don't have a job lined up but I am in a very lucrative major where you can get a job pretty much anywhere and am currently working PT with a global company with an option to work full time in almost any US city with them. Rent budget is based on the average starting salary for an average city (would make about 55k-60k) of course if I go somewhere that is considered very expensive such as SF, LA, DC, NYC etc. I would be making more and would be willing to spend more (1,600/month). I am okay with roommates or a small studio. Thank you all for your input!
$1600 wonít get you very far in SF, DC, NYC, or LA. Itís not uncommon to spend 4000+ on a studio in some of these places. But of those LA probably goes the furtherest, you just need to decide what is more of a priority, you can position yourself to grow net worth by moving at an area where home/condo ownership is possible and setup yourself for a solid retirement later on or go have fun in one of the big cities but throw away a lot on rent....

I did a bit of both, moved to a big city for a while and had fun but settled on Phoenix as a long term home as I found a better balance between COL and big city amenities. All while still relatively close to the west coast.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:51 AM

406 posts, read 291,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd suggest you expand your reach a little, Dallas is one interesting place outside of the normal young grad cities which you've listed (Seattle, DC, CA). Why not check out some other places such as Denver, Portland, Austin and Phoenix?

The big challenge with the most popular/biggest cities like LA, SF, DC, and Seattle is it they tend to break the bank, your budget of $1200 won't go far in any of these places. Sure they are all big cities and offer big economic opportunities but they're all very competitive and expensive. Some of the lesser known cities can pack well above their punch and over a lot of value for the money.

Since I live in Phoenix, I can use that as an example. The average rent is around $1100 versus >$3,000 in SF, > $2500 in DC, > $2400 in LA, and > $2,000 in Seattle.

Phoenix has an up and coming downtown area that isn't yet priced out of the market for someone just starting their career, you can live next to work and tons of entertainment/cultural options which is really challenging in most other big cities. As the 5th largest city and 13th largest metro the job opportunities are fairly massive, with many tech companies opening offices here to get away from the higher coast coastal cities (Uber, Microsoft, Amazon, Go Daddy, Yelp, Shutterfly, Zenefits, Weebly, Gainsight and Boomtown) just to name a few mentioned recently.

Just some food for thought.
I second Phoenix. Very very underrated city especially for young people. Drivable distance to Vegas, SD/LA, Mexico beaches, and has some really good food options and most importantly is AFFORDABLE.

Also would maybe look at St Petersburg/Tampa area, Charleston, Virginia Beach, Charlotte, or Houston.

Old 04-17-2018, 09:53 AM

10,569 posts, read 13,149,753 times
Every city you listed is terrible given your criteria.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:03 AM

6,646 posts, read 3,700,783 times
You are getting a list of the usual suspects...Dallas, Seattle, Denver, Austin, Phoenix, Portland, etc. The best career advice is probably to be mobile at your stage. Look around. Visit places. Refine your list. Second-tier cities will have much of what you want and at a better rental price. There's no law that says you have to stay there forever.

Old 04-17-2018, 11:19 AM

2,034 posts, read 1,756,393 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SunGrins View Post
Second-tier cities will have much of what you want and at a better rental price. There's no law that says you have to stay there forever.
This.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:04 PM

6,324 posts, read 6,994,449 times
Quote:
Gotcha. Well then I think there are a few big questions that can help hone your selection. You gave some nice details about your preferences but not the major things.

1) Do you want to live in a real big city with world class amenities? Somewhere with lots and lots of people and tons to do for just about any interest? Or do you want the opposite of that...or something in between?

2) Do you want to live an urban lifestyle, with vibrancy and density, walkable amenities, possible carless or carlite? (or again do you NOT want that...or not really care either way)

3) Do you have a preference for climate and/or region? If so, how important? Gonna assume no given your stated options but good to ask anyway.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:39 PM

4,276 posts, read 6,365,356 times
Quote:
I am about to graduate college with a degree in finance and am looking to select a city to focus my job search on. I grew up in the North East and I am attending school in the NE as well. While I like the north east I almost feel as if it's not for me (aside from family ties). I have heard a lot of great things about Dallas so I am looking for input on that how people feel about Dallas, and if it would make a good city for a young single. I am also open to other suggestions but have put thought in Washington DC, Seattle, California, and Jacksonville.

Considerations:
1) Young female single
2) will have a rent budget of about $1200
3) Good Job market
4) I am fairly Liberal
5) I like to run, and be outside

Thanks!
One place that no one has mentioned that might fit the bill for you is Atlanta. You could get a place in Midtown, Buckhead, or Virginia Highlands neighborhoods (three of the nicest areas of the city) for about $1200, generally in garden style or smaller apartment buildings. Raise your housing budget a little, and you can consider more hi-rise living if that's your thing.

Plenty of young people, plenty of entertainment options, good job market in the city and suburbs, milder weather than the northeast, socially and politically liberal city (though in a deep-red state), plus a wonderful downtown park and just a couple hours drive to the mountains or the beach.

Last edited by citylove101; 04-17-2018 at 01:49 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 01:24 PM

6 posts, read 3,445 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Gotcha. Well then I think there are a few big questions that can help hone your selection. You gave some nice details about your preferences but not the major things.

1) Do you want to live in a real big city with world class amenities? Somewhere with lots and lots of people and tons to do for just about any interest? Or do you want the opposite of that...or something in between?

2) Do you want to live an urban lifestyle, with vibrancy and density, walkable amenities, possible carless or carlite? (or again do you NOT want that...or not really care either way)

3) Do you have a preference for climate and/or region? If so, how important? Gonna assume no given your stated options but good to ask anyway.
1) I want a large city with many options for things to do, but more importantly a city with a strong job market and a lot of job opportunities/job growth. Not someone who is concerned with fabulous sports teams or stadiums (although if they're there thats a bonus). I am more focused on cool restaurants/bars, shopping, outdoor activities etc.

2) I currently live in a city that has "fabulous" public transportation which I can't say is my thing. I don't mind just walking to places if possible but just not when it's unbearable weather wise (5 degrees and blizzards weekly, or the other extreme which I have yet to live in). I will definitely have a car (unless I live in SF or NYC where I will have to raise my rent so much it'll be out of question). But that being said, I definitely prefer having access to a car unless the climate is something like SF where it is bearable year round.

3) Climate wise- I love to ski but due to job markets around great skiing (Salt Lake City, Boulder, Reno etc.) I don't think I could pull of being in one of those areas and truly enjoying my job and life. There is good skiing a few hours outside of Seattle which is a draw for me, but I am also willing to live in a city far from skiing and take a ski trip or two a year. Climate wise I just want to live somewhere that is not as cold and wet as it is where I am now (Pittsburgh); multiple blizzards (actually getting heavy snow as I type this on 4/17), a lot of heavy rain in the summers. Basically just want something where I can run outside most of the year even if it means getting up at 5 or 6am to beat the heat (My definition of 'runnable' is 40 degrees-85 degrees and no rain or light rain)

Thanks!!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or