U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 05:06 PM

6,343 posts, read 7,016,704 times

Advertisements

Ah ok. This is starting to become clear. I imagine Jacksonville would be too small for you. And since you don't seem enamored by an urban, carless lifestyle it doesn't make too much sense to be in a top tier urban city at the expense of high cost and cold weather. (btw I'm not sure Pittsburgh should be considered "fabulous" public transit. It's above avg but far from the top tier imo)

I'd say Dallas makes a lot of sense. Depending on your particular job opportunities some of the following may or may not be ideal but I'm thinking all the major sprawling, cheaper-ish sunbelt metros. Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Houston, Phoenix, Charlotte. Maybe even Nashville though I think it's borderline cheap and big, and can get cold too. Charlotte would be close to skiing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 06:04 PM

5,347 posts, read 2,015,382 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skc1234 View Post
I am about to graduate college with a degree in finance and am looking to select a city to focus my job search on. I grew up in the North East and I am attending school in the NE as well. While I like the north east I almost feel as if it's not for me (aside from family ties). I have heard a lot of great things about Dallas so I am looking for input on that how people feel about Dallas, and if it would make a good city for a young single. I am also open to other suggestions but have put thought in Washington DC, Seattle, California, and Jacksonville.

Considerations:
1) Young female single
2) will have a rent budget of about $1200
3) Good Job market
4) I am fairly Liberal
5) I like to run, and be outside

Thanks!
Unfortunately, rents have been rising across the country and it'll be hard to recommend a place without checking the most recent rental market in each to make sure that it meets your budget. So, instead of doing that for you, I'm going to give educated guesses that you'll have to confirm the rents within.

I have recently looked as Seattle and it'll be tough to meet your rental budget there imo. But if you look, try the University (maybe cheaper rent) Ballard (up and coming and a lot of amenities), and Queen Anne (most ideal but expensive neighborhood imo) sections. Capital Hill is also an option, but personally I wouldn't choose it over the others mentioned. You could also live outside the city and commute in, which is a realistic option. Give the area a hard look. Overall, I think its one of the best places to choose in the Western US, but it is cloudy. Don't miss Whistler.

Dallas would be a good option if you don't need a lot of scenery. You'll easily meet your rental budget and the people are nice. My pick there would be the southern portion of the Lower Greenville neighborhood, as it has a the best Main Street in the Metroplex imo.

Look at Austin.

Definitely look at Phoenix / Mesa.

Definitely look at Denver (look at Golden, Louisville, and Boulder - though you may have to compromise to meet your rental budget).

Look at Minneapolis (Southwest and West).

Look at Kansas City, KS (live toward Overland Park or in the city).

Look at Portland, OR

Alot some money for some exploratory flights before you move. Rent a car, use Airbnb. Maybe pick your top two and leave the choice up to how you vibe with them upon a visit. Such visits won't add up to be super inexpensive, but it will be less expensive than moving somewhere that you end up disliking.

I also like Airbnb as an option for an extended rental to facilitate a distant move. It allows one to get settled in before having to buy furniture.

Last edited by golgi1; 04-17-2018 at 06:22 PM..

Old 04-17-2018, 08:36 PM

6,592 posts, read 10,338,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by projectmaximus View Post
Ah ok. This is starting to become clear. I imagine Jacksonville would be too small for you. And since you don't seem enamored by an urban, carless lifestyle it doesn't make too much sense to be in a top tier urban city at the expense of high cost and cold weather. (btw I'm not sure Pittsburgh should be considered "fabulous" public transit. It's above avg but far from the top tier imo)

I'd say Dallas makes a lot of sense. Depending on your particular job opportunities some of the following may or may not be ideal but I'm thinking all the major sprawling, cheaper-ish sunbelt metros. Atlanta, Tampa, Orlando, Miami, Houston, Phoenix, Charlotte. Maybe even Nashville though I think it's borderline cheap and big, and can get cold too. Charlotte would be close to skiing.
Dallas only makes sense if the OP is willing to sacrifice outdoorsiness because DFW is absolutely terrible in that regard. The natural setting of the Metroplex is butt ugly and the climate isn't much better. Honestly based on her desire to be close to skiing, Phoenix is probably a better choice. There are high mountains and ski areas within a 2-3 hour drive from Phoenix.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 04-17-2018 at 09:40 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 10:19 AM

1,987 posts, read 1,252,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Itís not not a pricey as the coastal cities mentioned and yeah I shouldíve lumped Jacksonville in as different as well, just left it off by mistake. As an outdoor lover I personally wouldnít consider Dallas, Phoenix is vibrant enough and improving radically while offering a lot of outdoor options in close proximity. You can build a vibrant city anywhere, you canít change a cityís natural environment though.

Austin has hill country nearby, which offers some variety for hiking and biking. Iím not aware of anything like that near Dallas.

Maybe none of these fit the bill for the OP but worth exploring for any new grad imo, Dallas is a great city but it just doesnít work for me personally.
Gotcha. Yes, Dallas doesn't offer great options for hiking, mostly mediocre. There's an abundance of lakes and many bike trails in the area, so it's not devoid of options. Eventually they'll be a bike superhighway connecting Dallas to Fort Worth. It's also greener with more trees than Phoenix and with a shorter "hot" season. But overall Phoenix is hard to beat with its proximity to good hiking and more interesting terrain.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or