U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:37 PM

6 posts, read 3,423 times

Advertisements

I am about to graduate college with a degree in finance and am looking to select a city to focus my job search on. I grew up in the North East and I am attending school in the NE as well. While I like the north east I almost feel as if it's not for me (aside from family ties). I have heard a lot of great things about Dallas so I am looking for input on that how people feel about Dallas, and if it would make a good city for a young single. I am also open to other suggestions but have put thought in Washington DC, Seattle, California, and Jacksonville.

Considerations:
1) Young female single
2) will have a rent budget of about $1200
3) Good Job market
4) I am fairly Liberal
5) I like to run, and be outside

Thanks!

Last edited by skc1234; 04-16-2018 at 01:48 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 01:42 PM

6,560 posts, read 10,270,983 times
Dallas fits 2, 3, and 4, but it's a terrible fit for #5. It's about as scenic as a strip mall parking lot, and the weather is hot and humid (although probably a little drier than the NE) from late May/early June til well into September. I personally can't imagine finding much enjoyment running in a place where on most summer days the temp is pushing 80 degrees by 8am.

Last edited by bluescreen73; 04-16-2018 at 01:57 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 02:13 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skc1234 View Post
I am about to graduate college with a degree in finance and am looking to select a city to focus my job search on. I grew up in the North East and I am attending school in the NE as well. While I like the north east I almost feel as if it's not for me (aside from family ties). I have heard a lot of great things about Dallas so I am looking for input on that how people feel about Dallas, and if it would make a good city for a young single. I am also open to other suggestions but have put thought in Washington DC, Seattle, California, and Jacksonville.

Considerations:
1) Young female single
3) Good Job market
4) I am fairly Liberal

Thanks!
From a Dallas perspective:

1. Yes, but Cali (depending on where) and DC would have a bit more to offer for a young single female. Can't speak for Seattle, but Dallas definitely offers more for young singles across the board than Jacksonville. Really, Jacksonville is a true outlier in this category.

2. Pretty much the minimum for a place anywhere in the greater Uptown/Downtown Dallas area. But overall more affordable than DC, Cali, and Seattle. Jacksonville would be the cheapest.

3. Yes. Lots of finance jobs. The economy is very diverse overall.

4. Yes, but you have to worry about the state of TX. Dallas is moderately liberal in the sense that politics aren't in your face, unlike DC, Cali, and from what I've heard, Seattle. You can find your niche easily here. The city/county of Dallas is blue, but the suburbs are red. At the state level in Texas, it's conservative and in your face about it. Jacksonville is the most conservative on your list, but the state of FL is arguably more moderate and liberal than the state of TX. Keep that in mind.

5. For climate, pretty moderate and enjoyable for about 8 months. 4 months are VERY hot, with highs in the 90s just about everyday (June-Sep). Humidity is a bit less than DC and Jacksonville. Seattle does have the con of lots of rainy days. There are lakes and trails throughout DFW, but overall outdoor options favors Cali, Seattle, DC, and even Jacksonville (beach). TBF, I'm not sure if Jacksonville has more trails. It's also pancake flat compared to even Dallas.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:23 PM

4,485 posts, read 2,668,709 times
Seattle's weather is perfect for running (not for sitting outside in the winter, but for running!). Even the rain tends to be light.

It also has more men than women.

Rent will be higher, but you can offset most of that by not having a car and either walking or using transit. Only 50% of in-city residents commuted by driving alone in the last Census Dept. survey.

Old 04-16-2018, 06:32 PM

1,703 posts, read 1,365,459 times
Seattle or DC.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:20 PM

2,531 posts, read 1,674,746 times
Quote:

Considerations:
1) Young female single
3) Good Job market
4) I am fairly Liberal

Thanks!
I'd suggest you expand your reach a little, Dallas is one interesting place outside of the normal young grad cities which you've listed (Seattle, DC, CA). Why not check out some other places such as Denver, Portland, Austin and Phoenix?

The big challenge with the most popular/biggest cities like LA, SF, DC, and Seattle is it they tend to break the bank, your budget of $1200 won't go far in any of these places. Sure they are all big cities and offer big economic opportunities but they're all very competitive and expensive. Some of the lesser known cities can pack well above their punch and over a lot of value for the money.

Since I live in Phoenix, I can use that as an example. The average rent is around $1100 versus >$3,000 in SF, > $2500 in DC, > $2400 in LA, and > $2,000 in Seattle.

Phoenix has an up and coming downtown area that isn't yet priced out of the market for someone just starting their career, you can live next to work and tons of entertainment/cultural options which is really challenging in most other big cities. As the 5th largest city and 13th largest metro the job opportunities are fairly massive, with many tech companies opening offices here to get away from the higher coast coastal cities (Uber, Microsoft, Amazon, Go Daddy, Yelp, Shutterfly, Zenefits, Weebly, Gainsight and Boomtown) just to name a few mentioned recently.

Just some food for thought.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:42 PM

9,013 posts, read 2,733,677 times
Quote:

Considerations:
1) Young female single
3) Good Job market
4) I am fairly Liberal

Thanks!
If your rent budget is $1200 you might want to skip California, Seattle and probably DC, unless you want to do a room mate thing.

Old 04-16-2018, 09:16 PM

6,312 posts, read 6,970,829 times
Do you already have a job lined up that will allow you to live anywhere? Just wondering how you have a rent budget already. $1200 is probably doable in most cities if you are flexible with roommates/amenities, but if you want to be in a trendy part of DC, Seattle, SoCal, and definitely SF/SV then you'd need to up that budget a lot.

Dallas, and Jacksonville even mores, is usually not on the shortlist for a liberal young professional graduating from in the NE. I'll just comment real quick on Jax...

It has by far the smallest pool of young professionals. It's not a bad place and the network is decent and growing, but it will probably feel very small and you'll undoubtedly start to see the same faces at YP social events or at the handful of nightlife areas.

Your stated rent budget would pretty much let you get an upgraded unit in any part of town you want.

Job market is healthy but so all the other places you mentioned are even more so.

Jax is not a liberal city. You can find your tribe for sure so that you won't feel alienated, but you will find many others who think differently and it could cause friction.

I pretty much run everyday when I'm in Jax, all year long. However in the summer months it is really only bearable early in the morning or late in the evening. Lots of people like to be outdoors all the time, with the plethora of water activities available, but I personally can't stand the summer humidity.

Good luck!

Old 04-16-2018, 09:18 PM

1,798 posts, read 1,162,799 times
You need to up your rent for the cities you like unless you want to live in a very bad neighborhood. 1200 in Nashville will not even get you that much.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:16 PM

1,987 posts, read 1,237,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
I'd suggest you expand your reach a little, Dallas is one interesting place outside of the normal young grad cities which you've listed (Seattle, DC, CA). Why not check out some other places such as Denver, Portland, Austin and Phoenix?

The big challenge with the most popular/biggest cities like LA, SF, DC, and Seattle is it they tend to break the bank, your budget of $1200 won't go far in any of these places. Sure they are all big cities and offer big economic opportunities but they're all very competitive and expensive. Some of the lesser known cities can pack well above their punch and over a lot of value for the money.

Since I live in Phoenix, I can use that as an example. The average rent is around $1100 versus >$3,000 in SF, > $2500 in DC, > $2400 in LA, and > $2,000 in Seattle.

Phoenix has an up and coming downtown area that isn't yet priced out of the market for someone just starting their career, you can live next to work and tons of entertainment/cultural options which is really challenging in most other big cities. As the 5th largest city and 13th largest metro the job opportunities are fairly massive, with many tech companies opening offices here to get away from the higher coast coastal cities (Uber, Microsoft, Amazon, Go Daddy, Yelp, Shutterfly, Zenefits, Weebly, Gainsight and Boomtown) just to name a few mentioned recently.

Just some food for thought.
How is Dallas an anomaly on the OP's list? Yet you list fairly similar cities such as Austin and Phoenix . If any city is an anomaly, it's Jacksonville. I've been to Phoenix and other than some of the outdoor options, it's not as vibrant as Dallas, especially the city proper. Austin is more like Dallas than any of the cities listed.

I actually know quite a few young professionals that have moved from Phoenix/Scottsdale to Dallas and they prefer Dallas. Better for them economically and socially. There's a regular CD poster on here that also moved to Dallas from Phoenix and prefers it here as well. You really can't make economic arguments in favor of Phoenix over DFW. From an urban development, Phoenix is WAY behind Dallas and Austin.

Last edited by DTXman34; 04-16-2018 at 10:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or