U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 01:49 PM

108 posts, read 36,180 times

Advertisements

I live in MI, have most of my life, I can't do this anymore. I know this year is unseasonably warm. But best case scenario winter weather lasts Dec-March, worst case November-May, I'm tired of 5-8 months of the year being trash and not wanting leave the house for half the year. I need to find a place that boasts average winter highs above 40 (at worse) and experience little to no snow. I'd prefer for it to be within a days drive or so of Michigan, so preferably not west coast. So where do you think I should live?

Other factors outside of weather that are important:

-Nature; I need nature nearby. Lakes, rivers, mountains, forests, beaches... Not all of the above, but some of it.

-Ability to own land; Somewhere where I can easily own a house with 3+ acres and live close enough to a town/city for a job.

-Affordability-Needs to be as affordable as West Michigan. A 1,500 sq foot house with 3 acres should cost 140-200k. If we rent 1bdr apts or 1-2bdr houses should cost $800-$1200 per month.

So where in the US can I find a warm or moderate climate, that's affordable, and has nearby nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 02:29 PM

7,909 posts, read 12,175,054 times
I think the South would fit you well. More specifically Tennessee, Northern Alabama, Northern Georgia, or North Carolina.

All are within a day's drive of Michigan (though Tennessee, Alabama, Georgia would be easier than North Carolina) and meet your requirements.

Old 04-16-2018, 02:58 PM

425 posts, read 294,948 times
I would suggest Tennessee or Kentucky given your criteria.

I used to live in Northern Ohio and couldn’t take winters up there anymore (I lived in the snow belt). I moved to Kentucky and have been happier. It still gets cold here and it does snow, but not nearly on the scale that it does in the Great Lakes area and if it does snow, it melts in a day or so.

I also wanted to be within 8 hours of Northern Ohio, so Kentucky and Tennessee were two places I looked at to still have better weather and be relatively close to friends and family that I can see in a days drive or a weekend trip.

Also, Cannot beat the nature and outdoor activities in this part of the country. Lakes are plentiful, Smoky Mountains only few hours away, Red River Gorge a short 1 hour drive from my place, it has been awesome for a person like me who enjoys hiking and camping.

Old 04-16-2018, 03:41 PM

21,201 posts, read 30,404,475 times
Check out the Greater Columbia SC area. You can live within easy commute distance of the city or the inner suburbs (which are thriving in terms of jobs and the economy) in a mild four season climate with little winter precipitation and fairly equal seasons. You're geographically centered in the state within two hours of the beaches and about 90 minutes from the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, plus within close proximity to Lake Murray. There's a good bit of homes in the under 200K price bracket with 2+ acre lots as well. It's a longish drive back to Michigan (about 12 hours) but most likely worth the trade off with a much milder winter than what's seen in the six to eight hour drive options.

Old 04-16-2018, 04:11 PM

40 posts, read 27,767 times
Huntsville, AL sounds like a good fit.

Old 04-16-2018, 08:41 PM

18,124 posts, read 22,989,204 times
I lived in Nashville, TN for about 5 years. The winters are brutal. They may not get a lot of accumulated snow, but there is a lot of ice and temps below zero. And the winters are long.

You need to give up the day's drive to MI to get the weather you want.

Can you be a snowbird? Go to AZ for the winter, maybe?

Old 04-16-2018, 08:49 PM
sub

801 posts, read 413,320 times
I'd trade places with the OP in a heartbeat.
People from Michigan and other such places seem to like the Ozarks. I have absolutely no clue why, but they can have it.

Last edited by JMT; 04-17-2018 at 08:51 PM..

Old 04-16-2018, 08:57 PM
sub

801 posts, read 413,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
I lived in Nashville, TN for about 5 years. The winters are brutal. They may not get a lot of accumulated snow, but there is a lot of ice and temps below zero. And the winters are long.

You need to give up the day's drive to MI to get the weather you want.

Can you be a snowbird? Go to AZ for the winter, maybe?
When talking to someone from Michigan, Nashville might as well be the Bahamas.
What do they get? Right at 0 or -1 once every couple of years? It's an overnight low one or two nights the whole season at that, when it does happen.
Ice storms are a non-issue because they don't stick around long and pretty much everyone is expected to stay at home anyway until it melts. If a person goes out in it, its on them.
There are plenty of other reasons to avoid Nashville, but a Michigander wanting warmer weather isn't one of them.

Old 04-16-2018, 10:56 PM

18,124 posts, read 22,989,204 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sub View Post
When talking to someone from Michigan, Nashville might as well be the Bahamas.
What do they get? Right at 0 or -1 once every couple of years? It's an overnight low one or two nights the whole season at that, when it does happen.
Ice storms are a non-issue because they don't stick around long and pretty much everyone is expected to stay at home anyway until it melts. If a person goes out in it, its on them.
There are plenty of other reasons to avoid Nashville, but a Michigander wanting warmer weather isn't one of them.
Trading snow for ice doesn't seem like what anyone has in mind when looking for warmer winters. But, maybe you're right.

The 5 years I spent in Nashville, though, we had many days well below zero. The wet weather was year-round. Humid/wet summers that simply froze in the winter to ice. People don't drive because it's a skating rink.

Old 04-17-2018, 12:09 AM

173 posts, read 91,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Trading snow for ice doesn't seem like what anyone has in mind when looking for warmer winters. But, maybe you're right.

The 5 years I spent in Nashville, though, we had many days well below zero. The wet weather was year-round. Humid/wet summers that simply froze in the winter to ice. People don't drive because it's a skating rink.
Your speaking about Nashville like it's MN or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or