Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-21-2018, 11:43 AM

147 posts, read 349,977 times

Advertisements

South Carolina is the antithesis of cool.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2018, 12:03 PM

10,105 posts, read 7,397,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays25 View Post
Ever hear of the confederate flag controversies? That alone sets SC back 50 years.
It is interesting that you post that right after I pointed out SC is a high tourism state, a high population growth state, a high business growth state, and a state with a lot of college students from out of state. That doesn't seem to jive with your assertion 'that alone set SC back 50 years'.

Also keep in mind the growth in SC is spread out across the state, not mostly concentrated in one area.

You may be right in the sense that the tourism and growth may be even higher than its current high rate if not for the Confederate flag stuff.

There appears to be a lot of misinformation about the Confederate flag out there, because one person this topic said it was on the state house until recently. It was taken off the state house 25 years ago and moved to a Confederate memorial on state house grounds.

Most of the people who talk about the Confederate flag controversy probably don't know or won't mention the person in SC who pushed for it to be taken off the State house 25 years ago. But there are a lot of people who do know that.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-21-2018 at 01:04 PM..

Old 04-21-2018, 12:18 PM

12,968 posts, read 9,651,799 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I don't think South Carolina is thought of as "Cool" I think positively of it but not as a "cool" places.

I think being "cool" can be overrated. Some really "Cool" places like Austin, Portland and to some extent the state of Colorado are being ruined by being "Too cool"
but, Myrtle Beach is pretty cool though.

Old 04-21-2018, 01:08 PM

I think a lot of people think cities like Portland, Austin and Asheville are weird rather than cool. There are people in those cities that brand them as weird. 'Keep Austin Weird' 'Keep Portland Weird'

Old 04-23-2018, 04:29 PM

37,881 posts, read 41,933,711 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I think a lot of people think cities like Portland, Austin and Asheville are weird rather than cool. There are people in those cities that brand them as weird. 'Keep Austin Weird' 'Keep Portland Weird'
That's a big part of why they are considered "cool."

Old 04-24-2018, 06:24 PM

862 posts, read 1,642,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BurnInTheMil View Post
Colorado in my opinion takes the cake.

All the amazing mountain towns, relaxed vibe, great snowboarding, etc... It’s my favorite place to visit, that’s for sure

It's a great place to visit but I wouldn't want to live here. Unfortunately I live here.

Old 04-25-2018, 08:56 AM

154 posts, read 160,774 times
Honestly states with the coolest reputation I have heard were Cali, Washington... and if you live in the Miami Beach-Florida Barrier Islands region people flip ****s.

Old 04-25-2018, 09:11 AM

12,830 posts, read 9,547,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
That's a big part of why they are considered "cool."
Yep. They're perceived to be different.

Old 04-25-2018, 10:00 AM

9,169 posts, read 13,244,033 times
Default Cool states are those copied from not those that copy others

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Ok. Why do you think SC isn't cool? I note you did not provide any specific reasons which seems to be a trend.

Also, how do you know how other people view SC? You have talked to a significant number of people about what they think about SC?

I would say perhaps a person in SC has more insight into how SC is perceived than people in Ohio, Denver, Milwaukee, and Alaska.

The person in Alaska doesn't think there are many people who think SC has good beaches outside of the local area. This is despite me posting that SC was ranked the no. 7 tourism state and linking to the tourism rankings on this very thread. The beaches in SC are good enough that people travel to them.

I'm confident there are plenty of non-fast food restaurants in Ohio.
I must admit that I was surprised when you first said South Carolina on a thread about states with the coolest reputations. South Carolina is not exactly what I had in mind LOL. But I guess that the definition of what is "cool" is so wide open that we are all entitled to our opinions.

My opinion is this, cool states are those that are copied from, not so much that copy others. Names or slogans like Hollywood, LA, California, Malibu, San Francisco, Broadway, New York, Manhattan, Upstate, Uptown, Downtown, Empire State, Lone Star State, Chicago, Louisiana Cajun style, New Orleans, Miami, Nashville Grand Ole Opry, Old Dominion, etc. these are known all over the country.

In contrast, South Carolina lacks any sort of its own identity or at least nothing that really stands out on a national level. The hilly northwestern of South Carolina has been called Upcountry South Carolina for years. More recently, people have been calling it Upstate South Carolina, taking the name Upstate from another state.

And probably one of the best know best features of South Carolina is her long coastline called the Grand Strand. But the word "strand" is Dutch/German for beach. Why is a good part of the coastline of South Carolina named after a German word? I could see if South Carolina had a large German population historically like Pennsylvania or Wisconsin but that is not the case for South Carolina.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grand_Strand

Old 04-25-2018, 10:55 AM

So you think few people have heard of Charleston SC, one of the oldest and most historic cities in the country, and a top tourism city? Myrtle Beach along with Virginia Beach in VA are the two major commercialized tourist beach areas in the southern states outside of Florida. I tend to think most people have heard of it, at least on the eastern side of the country.

I don't think the Upstate of SC is driving the reputation of the state outside of the state because it is lesser known than the metros near the beach. I don't think it was copying New York, because in NY, Upstate refers to the areas north of NYC. I think Upstate in SC is alluding to the higher elevation in the western part of the state. The upper Piedmont area.

I think most people who are familiar with the Upstate think Greenville is cool at the very least. I have taken a lot of people from other areas to downtown Greenville over the past 20 years and they think it is great. A lot of the transplants in Greenville had first targeted Asheville but visited Greenville on their way to or back from Asheville and they liked Greenville better.

I don't see any evidence that SC or other places are copying the places that you listed.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-25-2018 at 11:47 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.