U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-25-2018, 12:09 PM

114 posts, read 67,183 times

Advertisements

I would definitely say California, Colorado, and Washington would be the top 3 regarded "cool" states.

It would be another fun thread to have what cities are regarded as "cool." For that, I'd think Portland, Austin, Nashville, Denver, and yeah Asheville (as was mentioned) if including smaller cities.

I have to agree - South Carolina is not regarded as "cool" whatsoever. As beautiful as Charleston is (I've been there and its a great small city), the reputation of the state is pretty much "still hoping for the Confederacy to rise again." I think most of the country imagines pickup trucks with Confederate Flags when they think of SC before thinking of sunny beaches. Sorry, Charleston is a super cool city and there are nice beaches, but SC simply doesn't have a cool reputation.

I also don't agree with the few posts about Florida.. I think most people think of retirees and kid tourists for FL, besides Miami. I also wouldn't add Oregon - I don't think the whole state is thought of as "cool," pretty much just Portland and maybe Eugene are though.

Also, I don't think sports culture is ever regarded as "cool." It seems more like something to brag about when there isn't anything else going on - essentially the opposite of cool. Football is the opposite of edgy, trendy, funky, and different that people equate to "cool."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2018, 12:12 PM

7,595 posts, read 4,028,148 times
So have you talked to most of the country about SC up there in Minnesota? I think you and others are only giving your view of SC and passing it off as the majority view.

I don't think majority of people think SC is wanting the Confederacy to rise again. The Confederacy ended in 1865.

I've talked to a lot of people about SC from out of state, and the Confederacy never comes up like it does on here.

I associate cool with being popular, not weird.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-25-2018 at 12:27 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 12:25 PM

4,467 posts, read 7,538,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FloatOn View Post
I would definitely say California, Colorado, and Washington would be the top 3 regarded "cool" states.
I understand why you and other would be saying this relative to "pop" culture, but I think just like is often done for New York, it has to do with conflating select, highly popular areas (i.e., Coastal CA, the Front Range, and Seattle, respectively) with entire states.

I mean, I think most would agree that cities like Fresno, Colorado Springs, and Yakima, with all due respect to them, aren't exactly on the "cutting edge" of coolness. No state is uniform.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
So have you talked to most of the country about SC up there in Minnesota? I think you and others are only giving your view of SC and passing it off as the majority view.
I've been to most states and have even lived less than an hour from SC before, so I have been around and talked to people around the country about places a solid amount. Whenever SC has come up in conversation lately while I'm in MN it's usually been about controversial statues of pro-slavery icons you guys don't want to take down or being connected to "Trump Country" ideologies. Sorry, that's just being honest. I think my state (MN) is cool too, but I know that most of the country thinks of MN as one big ice box.

This thread is about what the majority of people in the country think are "cool" states; you need to know how other people outside of your state perceive it, don't take it so personally.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:37 PM

Ok. I understand SC is not cool with many liberals. But not everybody has your politics. Also, many people don't associate the Confederate flag stuff with the GOP, the party of Lincoln. I wouldn't assume that a lot of people don't know SC recently elected one of 3 black senators and an Indian female governor.

I know a lot of people who don't think places like Eugene and Portland are cool for the same reasons you think they are cool.

Trump won states outside of the south. He won the presidency so I don't see how voting for Trump can be evidence of being uncool.

Disagreeing with you isn't taking it personally. I have talked to a lot of people about SC given I am from SC. I couldn't care less if people don't like SC outside of the state. It doesn't affect my life and I like living here.

I've also talked about SC's high tourism, high population growth, high number of college students from out of state, and high business growth.

I don't understand why you feel the need to say you are sorry. I'm not out to get you if you don't agree with me.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-25-2018 at 01:17 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duderino View Post
I understand why you and other would be saying this relative to "pop" culture, but I think just like is often done for New York, it has to do with conflating select, highly popular areas (i.e., Coastal CA, the Front Range, and Seattle, respectively) with entire states.

I mean, I think most would agree that cities like Fresno, Colorado Springs, and Yakima, with all due respect to them, aren't exactly on the "cutting edge" of coolness. No state is uniform.
I agree, but for the sake of this forum I think we need to think about what states have their reputation mostly based off of these areas that most of the country gets their perception of the whole state from. I'd like to think that we all on city-data are informed enough to know that Colorado Springs is not the same as popular Boulder or Aspen. But we have to think about general perceptions of the entire states and most people think these whole states are "cool" in my opinion. And I think these states have a pretty generalized reputation from their respective "cool" areas.

Old 04-25-2018, 12:58 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Quote:
So you think few people have heard of Charleston SC, one of the oldest and most historic cities in the country, and a top tourism city? Myrtle Beach along with Virginia Beach in VA are the two major commercialized tourist beach areas in the southern states outside of Florida. I tend to think most people have heard of it, at least on the eastern side of the country.

I don't think the Upstate of SC is driving the reputation of the state outside of the state because it is lesser known than the metros near the beach. I don't think it was copying New York, because in NY, Upstate refers to the areas north of NYC. I think Upstate in SC is alluding to the higher elevation in the western part of the state. The upper Piedmont area.

I think most people who are familiar with the Upstate think Greenville is cool at the very least. I have taken a lot of people from other areas to downtown Greenville over the past 20 years and they think it is great. A lot of the transplants in Greenville had first targeted Asheville but visited Greenville on their way to or back from Asheville and they liked Greenville better.

I don't see any evidence that SC or other places are copying the places that you listed.
No, you misunderstand me. Of course most people heard of Charleston, its a beautiful historic city. In fact that is what I think first about South Carolina - history.

But my point is some names are "cool" that they are used in other places to sell or promote things. For instance, there is a gym chain called LA Fitness, another chain called Planet Hollywood and still another California Pizza. All named to some extent because California has some kind of positive reputation, some "coolness" if you will.

Now in South Carolina, you have a entertainment/shopping complex called Broadway at the Beach, presumably because the name Broadway would be good for business, not because it would put people to sleep LOL. But in New York I cannot think of anything named after someplace in South Carolina. There probably is somewhere, just not off the top of my head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_at_the_Beach

So you see my point, if your going to name something after someplace else, you are probably going to take a name that has something positive or "cool" about it, your less likely to name after some place considered average or just plain odd. Your neighbor Georgia for instance, sometimes calls itself the "Empire State of the South", not the "Nutmeg State of the South" or the "Baked Bean State of the South".

Old 04-25-2018, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
No, you misunderstand me. Of course most people heard of Charleston, its a beautiful historic city. In fact that is what I think first about South Carolina - history.

But my point is some names are "cool" that they are used in other places to sell or promote things. For instance, there is a gym chain called LA Fitness, another chain called Planet Hollywood and still another California Pizza. All named to some extent because California has some kind of positive reputation, some "coolness" if you will.

Now in South Carolina, you have a entertainment/shopping complex called Broadway at the Beach, presumably because the name Broadway would be good for business, not because it would put people to sleep LOL. But in New York I cannot think of anything named after someplace in South Carolina. There probably is somewhere, just not off the top of my head.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadway_at_the_Beach

So you see my point, if your going to name something after someplace else, you are probably going to take a name that has something positive or "cool" about it, your less likely to name after some place considered average or just plain odd. Your neighbor Georgia for instance, sometimes calls itself the "Empire State of the South", not the "Nutmeg State of the South" or the "Baked Bean State of the South".
Ok, but I don't think your example that Upstate SC 'copies' Upstate NY example makes any sense because upstate NY is not known that well compared to NYC.

I don't think the nickname 'Upstate' is meant to project western SC as cool. The Charleston area is know as the Low Country, and Upstate is basically referring to the higher elevation in the western part of the state. Upcountry is still used though, to include by Greenville's history museum called the Upcountry History Museum.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-25-2018 at 01:14 PM..

Old 04-25-2018, 01:31 PM

7,141 posts, read 9,927,686 times
Quote:
Ok, but I don't think your example that Upstate SC 'copies' Upstate NY example makes any sense because upstate NY is not known that well compared to NYC.

I don't think the nickname 'Upstate' is meant to project western SC as cool. The Charleston area is know as the Low Country, and Upstate is basically referring to the higher elevation in the western part of the state. Upcountry is still used though, to include by Greenville's history museum called the Upcountry History Museum.
The fact that Low Country is used for the Charleston area is one reason why changing Upcountry to Upstate is so notable to me. Upcountry is a nice name and is quite historic and traditional to South Carolina. And I believe the term Upstate New York is very well known, even if the actual place is sometimes misunderstood (and underrated).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Upstate_South_Carolina

My theory is, and I emphasize this is just a theory, is that it is being pushed by some South Carolina real estate interests. Upstate New York has a reputation as a rural, heavily forested, lakes and hilly vacationland in contrast to the more built up portions of the state. So changing the name to Upstate South Carolina might be able to increase its reputation as a vacation area and a possible place for retirement. And not to mention in the future, the name change might attract northerners moving south.

Old 04-25-2018, 01:33 PM

I think it probably got changed to Upstate because it sounds less awkward than Upcountry. It is also a convenient way to distinguish between the populated areas of western SC along I-85 (Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson) with the more rural mountain areas to the north of I-85.

Northerners have been moving south and to the Upstate for decades. I think that has more to do with the warmer weather and lower property taxes than the Upstate name.

If SC was simply copying NY, the Rock Hill / Fort Mill area south of Charlotte would be the Upstate. NY's Upstate is using up to reference north of NYC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or