U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2018, 01:03 AM

3,067 posts, read 2,111,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MemoryMaker View Post
I don't see why people are debating something so obvious:

COOLEST REPUTATIONS:
New York and California.

COOL REPUTATIONS:
Hawaii, Florida, Colorado, Nevada, Connecticut, Alaska

[Every other state.... Walmartsville, beastiality and trailer parks as far as most of the world is concerned.]

WORST REPUTATIONS:
New Jersey, Mississippi, Alabama, Texas, Michigan

I'm not saying NY or Cali are the best place to live for an average Joe (they're actually the worst due to cost of living) but they do have cool reputations to most of the younger generations. Rich people overwhelmingly choose the cool states as well.
I think your downstate NY bias is showing for the one I bolded. CT doesn't have a bad rep by any means but it doesn't really have a 'cool' reputation, either...outside the orbit of NYC, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-26-2018, 05:57 AM

3,318 posts, read 1,664,239 times
California, Florida, New York, and New Jersey come to mind.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:09 AM

10,675 posts, read 8,210,706 times
Younger Generation

Coolest places: California and Downstate New York

Cool places: Florida, Colorado, Washington

Recognizable: Arizona, Texas, North Carolina, Chicago Metro area, Nevada, Alaska, Hawaii

Old 04-26-2018, 07:30 AM

7,608 posts, read 9,463,659 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
In the study of sociometry, people are classified into five categories based on how others perceive them: popular, controversial, average, neglected and rejected. Here's how each category is defined...

Popular: High positive perception, low negative perception.

Controversial: High positive perception, high negative perception.

Average: Moderate positive perception, moderate negative perception.

Neglected: Low positive perception, low negative perception.

Rejected: Low positive perception, high negative perception.

For the sake of what I'm about to do, I'm introducing two more categories to be even more specific...

Popular/controversial: High positive perception, moderate negative perception.

Neglected/rejected: Low positive perception, moderate negative perception.

And here's how I'd categorize each of the states sociometrically...

Popular: Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia, Washington.

Popular/controversial: Arizona, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, Utah, Vermont.

Controversial: Alaska, California, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, Texas.

Average: Maryland, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin.

Neglected: Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota.

Neglected/rejected: Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wyoming.

Rejected: Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, West Virginia.

NOTE: This is not my opinion of these states personally, but rather, my opinion of how others perceive them. In fact, I've felt good vibrations in some of the rejected states, and bad vibrations in some of the popular states.
Interesting, although I don't know how Minnesota is either popular or controversial. I happen to think that the state is quite good, and maybe a bit underrated, but not entirely on everyone's radar, and not particularly controversial, either...

Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 AM

45,013 posts, read 36,268,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheTimidBlueBars View Post
Mostly agree, but I don't get the sense Michigan has a bad reputation - just Detroit. I'd swap it for maybe Kentucky or Oklahoma, and Connecticut on the "cool" list for Massachusetts.
Maybe so - and as for Texas having a "bad reputation," one really cool thing about the state is how obviously Texans do not care that someone might think they are "uncool." We love it here and if you don't, then hasta la vista, baby.

Old 04-26-2018, 07:58 AM

29,947 posts, read 27,432,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LINative View Post
You raise a good point and a pretty good theory of your own.

But this still leads to a couple of questions itself. (1) First, if something is wrong with the word "country" in Upcountry, then why is country okay for the Low country, South Carolina's major tourist area along the coast?
That's easy. The Lowcountry has always been evocative with its coastal geography, grand oaks trees draped with Spanish moss, Palmetto trees, grand antebellum architecture, cuisine, etc. After all, it is where the rich planter class was concentrated and thus there was much wealth in the region. Historically the Upcountry was where the poor farmers lived and it was considered a sparsely-populated backwater.

Quote:
(2) Second, if you wanted to change your name from Upcountry to something else - why Upstate? Where is the Downstate in South Carolina? After all, what goes up must come down. Both New York and Illinois have Upstates and Downstates.

So the relative lack of a usage of a "Downstate" in South Carolina suggests to me that changing the name from Upcountry to Upstate South Carolina is deliberate and was named after someplace in a different state. Like I said, my theory is they are trying to evoke the imagine of mountains and hills by calling it Upstate.
I don't think it was wholesale change though, but rather a trend to use "Upstate" more frequently and relegate "Upcountry" to more of a historical designation. From what I can tell, "Upstate" has been used in the past to describe the region as well but not as frequently. And the term "Upcountry" itself evokes mountains and hills; historically that was where the poor farmers lived. The area was not conducive to large-scale agriculture like the Lowcountry was.

Quote:
(3) There is another possibility which is actually kind of sad really. There is a strong anti-Southern bias in the media and in our culture and you can even see here it on City-Data. Is it possible that some of the business and real estate interests in Upcountry South Carolina wanted to downplay the area's traditional Southern roots with a name change? It is interesting to note that the name Upstate is replacing Upcountry more and more as more people from outside move into the area.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:U...South_Carolina
Think of it as the Greenville-Spartanburg-Anderson version of a transition from "Old South" to "New South." That's what I see it as. It's not really downplaying the Southern roots of the area, but it highlights the changes that have occurred over the years. The region is still Southern, but it's no longer a rural backwater and has instead become a bustling center of industry and commerce. Even if Upstate SC copied Upstate NY with the use of the term "Upstate," I can guarantee you the reason for SC doing so was largely economic in nature. It is probably the most economically ambitious part of the state and it has done a great job of marketing and promoting itself along those lines which is why so many international businesses have chosen to set up shop in the region.

Last edited by Mutiny77; 04-26-2018 at 08:08 AM..

Old 04-26-2018, 08:00 AM

4,866 posts, read 2,997,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
Maybe so - and as for Texas having a "bad reputation," one really cool thing about the state is how obviously Texans do not care that someone might think they are "uncool." We love it here and if you don't, then hasta la vista, baby.
Laughable. Come on Kat, you are hypersensitive and most Texans go out of their way to justify everything about their state. If you want to talk about states that don't care, that would be California.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:01 AM

6,569 posts, read 10,290,206 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by japster28 View Post
Probably California is at the top.

Florida and New York are perennial "cool" states

I think the flavor of the month is a mix of western states like Colorado, Washington, and Oregon.
Colorado's population has been growing steadily for about 30 years. Hardly flavor of the month.

Old 04-26-2018, 08:12 AM

4,280 posts, read 2,525,383 times
It's interesting to me that some would consider a state that is a magnet for retirees (old people) as cool. To me, Florida is more like a necessary evil. To each their own!

Old 04-26-2018, 08:23 AM

10,675 posts, read 8,210,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
It's interesting to me that some would consider a state that is a magnet for retirees (old people) as cool. To me, Florida is more like a necessary evil. To each their own!
Miami put Florida on map
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or