U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2018, 07:05 PM

45,483 posts, read 36,601,963 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I don't think that's an insult. Being sensitive is a good thing. Of course it's similar to "you don't like it? Don't come!!!"
You didn't say I was sensitive (which I'm not - in fact most people who know me consider me to be more on the other end of the spectrum, which has it's pros and cons).

But like I said, carry on. It's mildly interesting banter.

Or we could actually talk about the topic, instead of you lobbing insults and me pointing out that you're doing it. Which states do you consider to be cool? Personally I consider Maine to be cool, especially Portland. I also consider Washington state and Oregon to be pretty cool, especially along the coast.

Then there is a whole genre of states that seem to be totally unconcerned with being cool, and I typically like those states most of all, because I'm all about being individualistic instead of trying to be "cool," whatever that means.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2018, 07:07 PM

4,957 posts, read 3,048,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathrynAragon View Post
You didn't say I was sensitive (which I'm not - in fact most people who know me consider me to be more on the other end of the spectrum, which has it's pros and cons).

But like I said, carry on. It's mildly interesting banter.
Bless your heart!

Old 04-27-2018, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Bless your heart!
You're a peach!

Like I said, we could actually talk about the topic, instead of you lobbing insults and me pointing out that you're doing it. Which states do you consider to be cool? Personally I consider Maine to be cool, especially Portland. I also consider Washington state and Oregon to be pretty cool, especially along the coast.

Then there is a whole genre of states that seem to be totally unconcerned with being cool, and I typically like those states most of all, because I'm all about being individualistic instead of trying to be "cool," whatever that means.

Old 04-27-2018, 07:55 PM

4,957 posts, read 3,048,991 times
Quote:
You're a peach!

Like I said, we could actually talk about the topic, instead of you lobbing insults and me pointing out that you're doing it. Which states do you consider to be cool? Personally I consider Maine to be cool, especially Portland. I also consider Washington state and Oregon to be pretty cool, especially along the coast.

I'll agree with whoever said states aren't really cool, cities are. I think California, Washington and Colorado.

Old 04-28-2018, 08:59 AM

344 posts, read 139,608 times
This thread is fun/funny.

I'd say California is post-cool. It was "cool" in the '60s, '70s and '80s. Now it has a very mixed reputation.

Colorado definitely has one of the "coolest" reputations. The rockies, legal weed (yes, the actual draw of this is blown of out proportion, but given the state spearheaded the movement it still gets much "cool" recognition for this) and booming job market give it an inflated reputation.

North Carolina is also a very "cool" place to land, especially for former Northerners. Asheville and the mountains, the Research Triangle and the coast are popular among young people. It seems anyone can find somewhere in North Carolina appealing. For me, it is the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains where I spent my college summers working. I love the distinct Appalachian culture with funky Asheville plopped in the middle.

Washington and Oregon are very "cool" now, but to a more specific type of person.

I personally foresee a "comeback" of "cool" for Northeastern states in the not too distant future, especially the likes of Pennsylvania, Upstate NY, and small cities in New England. Perhaps I am biased, though.

Old 04-28-2018, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muinteoir View Post
This thread is fun/funny.

I'd say California is post-cool. It was "cool" in the '60s, '70s and '80s. Now it has a very mixed reputation.

Colorado definitely has one of the "coolest" reputations. The rockies, legal weed (yes, the actual draw of this is blown of out proportion, but given the state spearheaded the movement it still gets much "cool" recognition for this) and booming job market give it an inflated reputation.

North Carolina is also a very "cool" place to land, especially for former Northerners. Asheville and the mountains, the Research Triangle and the coast are popular among young people. It seems anyone can find somewhere in North Carolina appealing. For me, it is the gorgeous Blue Ridge Mountains where I spent my college summers working. I love the distinct Appalachian culture with funky Asheville plopped in the middle.

Washington and Oregon are very "cool" now, but to a more specific type of person.

I personally foresee a "comeback" of "cool" for Northeastern states in the not too distant future, especially the likes of Pennsylvania, Upstate NY, and small cities in New England. Perhaps I am biased, though.
We're headed to NC's Outer Banks in less than a week - I love me some North Carolina. I lived in the Fayetteville area when I was a kid and before that lived in the Virginia Beach area. I love that part of our coast and our country - so full of history and fun things to do.

Old 04-29-2018, 01:17 AM

998 posts, read 891,500 times
Virginia is one of a handful of states that have 3 metro areas of 1 million plus. IMO you would be hardpressed to find a more diverse collection of population centers in those other states. VA Beach/Norfolk/Newport News, RVA and NoVa very much helped us decide to relocate from "cool" California to Virginia 11 years ago. The future positive trajectory of these 3 regions has become much more apparent since we've lived here. The melting pot cultures, history, art, food, wineries/breweries, mountains, beaches, economic potential and beauty of these areas are working their way to the top of peoples perceptions . When friends/relatives visit from the "cool" West Coast the common refrain has been "we had no idea how cool it is here".
From Mount Vernon to the Beach baby.....

Last edited by Poquoson7; 04-29-2018 at 02:41 AM..

Old 04-29-2018, 05:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Virginia is one of a handful of states that have 3 metro areas of 1 million plus. IMO you would be hardpressed to find a more diverse collection of population centers in those other states. VA Beach/Norfolk/Newport News, RVA and NoVa very much helped us decide to relocate from "cool" California to Virginia 11 years ago. The future positive trajectory of these 3 regions has become much more apparent since we've lived here. The melting pot cultures, history, art, food, wineries/breweries, mountains, beaches, economic potential and beauty of these areas are working their way to the top of peoples perceptions . When friends/relatives visit from the "cool" West Coast the common refrain has been "we had no idea how cool it is here".
From Mount Vernon to the Beach baby.....
Yorktown, VA is absolutely my most favorite town in the entire USA! So excited about going back that direction in a few days and one of my friends is visiting Williamsburg this weekend and posting pictures and I am so jealous!!!! I have been there so many times but honestly, it never gets old.

Virginia is my very favorite state, with Texas close behind and NC bringing up a brisk third. To me, those are the "coolest" states since "cool" is a totally subjective term in what it means to different people. I am hoping my daughter and her husband get stationed in Norfolk so I have another excuse to go back there - as if I even needed one!

Jamestown hosts a "military through the ages" show in the spring of every year and reinactors from all over the world come there, from every different era. It is FASCINATING. I wouldn't mind going back to that again. But I think history is cool.

Old 04-29-2018, 11:53 AM

998 posts, read 891,500 times
Quote:
Yorktown, VA is absolutely my most favorite town in the entire USA! So excited about going back that direction in a few days and one of my friends is visiting Williamsburg this weekend and posting pictures and I am so jealous!!!! I have been there so many times but honestly, it never gets old.

Virginia is my very favorite state, with Texas close behind and NC bringing up a brisk third. To me, those are the "coolest" states since "cool" is a totally subjective term in what it means to different people. I am hoping my daughter and her husband get stationed in Norfolk so I have another excuse to go back there - as if I even needed one!

Jamestown hosts a "military through the ages" show in the spring of every year and reinactors from all over the world come there, from every different era. It is FASCINATING. I wouldn't mind going back to that again. But I think history is cool.
Had lunch at Riverwalk in Yorktown on Friday, went down the street to the beach and had some Larry's Hard Lemonade at Larry's Hard Lemonade Distillery then went further down to the bay to watch windfoilers (windsurfing boards equipped with small hydrofoils) practicing for the finals. It doesn't get much better. We live in Williamsburg and go down the parkway to Yorktown about once a month...long story short I love it there too, totally unique piece of real estate and a vibe to match.

Old 04-29-2018, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poquoson7 View Post
Had lunch at Riverwalk in Yorktown on Friday, went down the street to the beach and had some Larry's Hard Lemonade at Larry's Hard Lemonade Distillery then went further down to the bay to watch windfoilers (windsurfing boards equipped with small hydrofoils) practicing for the finals. It doesn't get much better. We live in Williamsburg and go down the parkway to Yorktown about once a month...long story short I love it there too, totally unique piece of real estate and a vibe to match.
One day I swear I'm going to move to Yorktown! I mean, I love Texas. don't get me wrong but that place really got into my blood and I'm a sucker for oceans and rivers anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or