U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-16-2018, 10:29 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
I think his point is that demographically USC doesn't draw any more people from out of state than any of the other SEC flagship schools. That isn't a bad thing, it just indicates that isn't more popular than other SEC schools.

I think if you are going to define a place as "Cool" it needs to be more of a destination so to speak.

Being "Cool" and being "Underrated" are generally opposed to each other, it's hard to be seen as cool and yet be underrated. I get the general impression you feel that SC is an underrated place so you might agree it isn't considered "cool" but perhaps should be.
I don't think SC is underrated. It is an extremely popular place for people to vacation, relocate and go to college. One of SC's big things is tourism.

In my view, popular equals cool.

I never said other southern colleges don't draw a lot of out of state students. I had included other southern beach states in my original point.

If you check out a website like College Confidential, you will see a ton of kids and parents who love the southern universities and the lifestyle that students have at them.

I would think a large percentage of college football fans would love to live in the south and go to one of the big southern universities like Clemson, Alabama and Auburn. I know Clemson's applications have skyrocketed the past few years due to the success in football.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-16-2018 at 10:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-16-2018, 10:40 PM

4,486 posts, read 3,319,586 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Is McDonald's cool?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:43 PM

7,583 posts, read 4,003,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frostnip View Post
Is McDonald's cool?
I don't think that is comparing apples to apples because much of McDonald's appeal is low cost and it is fairly quick. How does that compare to a state.

I can see Colorado being cool for people who smoke weed and like snow sports and hiking but if you aren't one of those people, why would it be cooler than anywhere else?

Old 04-16-2018, 10:55 PM

3,192 posts, read 2,645,001 times
Colorado has one of the best PR departments of any state, whether it's deserved or not.

It's due to several factors:
1. Closest and easiest mountain destination for eastern US where a lot of people have had some sort of vacation in a resort and have that as their image of CO
2. It has some amazing stock photos. Today downtown Denver was really hazy and smelled like pee all over, but you don't get that from the internet pics, unless you look for it.
3. Winning football team + lots of other sports for a metro it's size
4. Most importantly, an alternate lifestyle that really caters to 20-40 year olds (males especially) with craft breweries, legal weed, all about the action orientation, liberal + LGTB friendly, and a who gives a crap about how you look or who you are attitude.

Oklahoma city and Denver have the same amount of sunshine but everyone knows how it's always sunny in Colorado and no one brags about ole sunny Oklahoma. We have wildfires they have tornadoes but somehow people don't see wildfires to be a big fear factor compared to tornadoes, even though I'd bet our fires do more dollarwise damage.

CO has secured it's place on the forefront of a lot of young peoples mind of places they want to be.

Old 04-17-2018, 02:09 AM

308 posts, read 186,721 times
It's a combination of the states with the best nightlife and the ones that are the most popular throughout the world..

Old 04-17-2018, 04:23 AM

13,221 posts, read 17,963,194 times
In the study of sociometry, people are classified into five categories based on how others perceive them: popular, controversial, average, neglected and rejected. Here's how each category is defined...

Popular: High positive perception, low negative perception.

Controversial: High positive perception, high negative perception.

Average: Moderate positive perception, moderate negative perception.

Neglected: Low positive perception, low negative perception.

Rejected: Low positive perception, high negative perception.

For the sake of what I'm about to do, I'm introducing two more categories to be even more specific...

Popular/controversial: High positive perception, moderate negative perception.

Neglected/rejected: Low positive perception, moderate negative perception.

And here's how I'd categorize each of the states sociometrically...

Popular: Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia, Washington.

Popular/controversial: Arizona, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, Utah, Vermont.

Controversial: Alaska, California, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, Texas.

Average: Maryland, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin.

Neglected: Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota.

Neglected/rejected: Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wyoming.

Rejected: Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, West Virginia.

NOTE: This is not my opinion of these states personally, but rather, my opinion of how others perceive them. In fact, I've felt good vibrations in some of the rejected states, and bad vibrations in some of the popular states.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:39 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times
Quote:
I don't think SC is underrated. It is an extremely popular place for people to vacation, relocate and go to college. One of SC's big things is tourism.

I never said other southern colleges don't draw a lot of out of state students. I had included other southern beach states in my original point.

If you check out a website like College Confidential, you will see a ton of kids and parents who love the southern universities and the lifestyle that students have at them.
Maybe, I'm not aware of anyone who has been to SC for vacation. I know some people who went to Ashville for Spring break when I was in college (I think Ashville is generally thought of as "Cool")

I'm sure it's a big regional draw for tourism, it has the beach and Charleston. I don't think it get the national draw or attention like Colorado does.

Raw tourist numbers are limited in usefulness. Texas really high tourist numbers, but as much as I love Texas it isn't a "Cool" State.

Yeah you are correct, the SEC schools are drawing alot more out of state kids these days, but that isn't what gives a State a "Cool" rep.

This is an article about Alabama specifically, but it applies to a lesser extent to other SEC schools. Alabama’s College Student Recruitment Incentives

I don't think anyone would tell you Alabama is seen as a "Cool" state.

Quote:

I would think a large percentage of college football fans would love to live in the south and go to one of the big southern universities like Clemson, Alabama and Auburn. I know Clemson's applications have skyrocketed the past few years due to the success in football.
Lol naw dude, I hate the SEC, I would have much preferred to go to a Big 10 or PAC 12 school. Alabama, Auburn, and Clemson are some of the most widely hated schools by other football fans in my experience.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:49 AM

2,808 posts, read 1,303,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
In the study of sociometry, people are classified into five categories based on how others perceive them: popular, controversial, average, neglected and rejected. Here's how each category is defined...

Popular: High positive perception, low negative perception.

Controversial: High positive perception, high negative perception.

Average: Moderate positive perception, moderate negative perception.

Neglected: Low positive perception, low negative perception.

Rejected: Low positive perception, high negative perception.

For the sake of what I'm about to do, I'm introducing two more categories to be even more specific...

Popular/controversial: High positive perception, moderate negative perception.

Neglected/rejected: Low positive perception, moderate negative perception.

And here's how I'd categorize each of the states sociometrically...

Popular: Colorado, Hawaii, Idaho, North Carolina, Oregon, Virginia, Washington.

Popular/controversial: Arizona, Georgia, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Nevada, Utah, Vermont.

Controversial: Alaska, California, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, Texas.

Average: Maryland, New Hampshire, New Mexico, Rhode Island, South Carolina, Tennessee, Wisconsin.

Neglected: Delaware, Iowa, Maine, Montana, Nebraska, North Dakota, South Dakota.

Neglected/rejected: Connecticut, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Michigan, Pennsylvania, Wyoming.

Rejected: Alabama, Arkansas, Kansas, Mississippi, Missouri, Ohio, Oklahoma, West Virginia.

NOTE: This is not my opinion of these states personally, but rather, my opinion of how others perceive them. In fact, I've felt good vibrations in some of the rejected states, and bad vibrations in some of the popular states.
Generally good, but I think you vastly underrated Maine, which I don't see as neglected at all, it's certainly more popular than New Hampshire, and gets positive mentions in TV shows and movies.

I think you overrated Idaho. I'm a native and frequently encounter people who not only don't know anything about the state, don't know the general region of the US it is in. People simply don't have that issue with your other "Popular" states.

Old 04-17-2018, 05:57 AM

6,336 posts, read 4,682,995 times
Steve McQueen was the " King of Cool "
He got that way growing up in Missouri.

Old 04-17-2018, 06:18 AM

774 posts, read 842,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treasurevalley92 View Post
Generally good, but I think you vastly underrated Maine, which I don't see as neglected at all, it's certainly more popular than New Hampshire, and gets positive mentions in TV shows and movies.

I think you overrated Idaho. I'm a native and frequently encounter people who not only don't know anything about the state, don't know the general region of the US it is in. People simply don't have that issue with your other "Popular" states.
IMO Idaho belongs in the "average" category. Not quite as cool as Colorado, Oregon, or Washington, but not neglected like Montana or Wyoming. Missouri is also rated a bit too low as its more neglected than a rejected state. I also think you rated Tennessee too low since its essentially "popular" in a similar vein to NC.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or