U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 04-17-2018, 03:23 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
Reputation: 7505

Advertisements

I moved to one of those overhyped uber-cool places constantly in the Top City ratings lists, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I now know better. Best advice? Avoid them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 04-17-2018, 03:45 PM
 
29,889 posts, read 27,333,728 times
Reputation: 18435
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
I moved to one of those overhyped uber-cool places constantly in the Top City ratings lists, and it was the biggest mistake of my life. I now know better. Best advice? Avoid them.
I hope you didn't move there just because of its "cool" reputation and that you had a job and a place to live lined up before you moved.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:29 PM
 
Location: Mars City
5,091 posts, read 2,138,052 times
Reputation: 7505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutiny77 View Post
I hope you didn't move there just because of its "cool" reputation and that you had a job and a place to live lined up before you moved.
No. I'd never move under such motivations. The rating just happened to be there anyway for the place I picked independently. My previous un-cool location is my return point and future, which suits me just fine.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:56 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I don't understand why you are talking about percentage of white and black people on a topic about which states are cool.

I haven't seen you say anything that proves SC isn't a cool place. All you have demonstrated is you don't like the south which I think is rooted in your politics. At least 50 percent of the country doesn't have your politics. Your premise seems to be that most everybody has your political view on things.

You've said the USC in California is cooler than the one in SC but it doesn't seem likely you attended either college, so how would you know? I assume your premise is that the USC in California is cooler because California is a blue state. For me, politics seems unrelated to the college experience.

It seems like every opinion you have is made through a political filter. When I answered this question, I wasn't thinking about politics at all. I was focused on the good life, warm sunny days, the beach, tailgating at football games, my knowledge of how much people like SC cities, etc.

You assert SC would be behind other southern states but you provide no evidence of this. That also looks to be based purely on politics. I can tell from firsthand experience there are plenty of liberals and non-conservatives living in SC.

It sounds like you have never been to SC but you have asserted it is not a cool place. It is interesting that you have such passion about a place that you have not visited.

When I was at Clemson in the late 90s, the third most represented state was NJ, and I think PA was 4th or 5th. I met a ton of kids from NY and Boston. They loved SC.
Prove to me Oklahoma City isn't cool. Or Detroit. Or Flagstaff? Having a college doesn't mean your state is cool. Your college buddies not being miserable at their chosen school doesn't mean your state is cool. What makes Clemson any cooler than Tennessee?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:58 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
The group consensus by a small number of liberals on this forum. I'm not the one hung up on politics on this topic. My take wasn't based on politics. I know there are a lot of people who would not want to live in those states that you listed, partly because of politics. Note that I don't beat up on your list though. i think there are good things about those states especially for people who like getting outdoors.

You call anybody a homer who doesn't have your view on something. It is probable you have never been to SC or spent much time in SC. The Denver guy admitted last night he had not been to SC. That didn't prevent him from making strong assertions such as USC in California is cooler than UofSC. I do tend to talk about things that I have personal knowledge and experience with. That doesn't mean that I'm wrong or I am trying to deceive people.

I note you listed several states noted for being liberal and you didn't explain what makes them so cool relative to other places. You also have proven SC isn't cool. You make the assertion as though it is a fact and as though you get to decide that for everybody.

Greenville in SC gets all kind of 'cool' accolades by publications not located in the south. For example, Outside Magazine said Greenville is 2nd Best Town Ever. Here is link to that and other Greenville accolades. https://www.visitgreenvillesc.com/ar...c08c4/?&page=7 I assume you think they are homers too. I know Charleston is one of the most hyped up beloved cities in this country. If you don't significant of people think Charleston and Hilton Head and Myrtle Beach are cool, I don't know what to say. I seems obvious to me that many people love the beach and warmer weather sunny areas.

I end up with my company taking a lot of people from out of town to downtown Greenville, and they all talk about how cool it is.
I never said I haven't been to South Carolina. You just assumed that. Been to LA too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 05:59 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thoreau424 View Post
No. I'd never move under such motivations. The rating just happened to be there anyway for the place I picked independently. My previous un-cool location is my return point and future, which suits me just fine.
Why? I think you're better off in Texas. Denver is full.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 06:01 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
I never said I haven't been to South Carolina. You just assumed that. Been to LA too.
Where have you been to in SC? I assumed you had not been there given a comment that you made.

Can you name one non-political reason why you say SC is not cool as the states you say are cool? Can you specify what makes USC in California more cool than UofSC? The only reason I ask is I can't really think of a reason why somebody would say SC and the south are not cool unless it was because of politics.

Why do you believe southerners are 'delusional'?

I never said having a college in SC makes the state cool. I said that the fact so many people come down south for college indicates it is popular with people outside of the south. I don't think young people are going to come down south for college if they think it is uncool, especially since the travel is more of a hassle than going to a college closer to home.

I gave specific reasons for why I think SC has a cool reputation but I haven't seen the people who disagreed with me give specific reasons for their disagreements. That's why I made the assumption it was based on your politics.

Do you not concede that liberals / Democrats and conservatives / Republicans might have a different view on what states have a cool reputation?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-17-2018 at 06:40 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 06:42 PM
 
Location: Clemson, SC by way of Tyler,TX
4,845 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Reputation: 3394
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
Where have you been to in SC? I assumed you had not been there given a comment that you made.

Can you name one non-political reason why you say SC is not cool as the states you say are cool? Can you specify what makes USC in California more cool than UofSC?

Why do you believe southerners are 'delusional'?

I never said having a college in SC makes the state cool. I said that the fact so many people come down south for college indicates it is popular with people outside of the south. I don't think young people are going to come down south for college if they think it is uncool, especially since the travel is more of a hassle than going to a college closer to home.

I gave specific reasons for why I think SC has a cool reputation but I haven't seen the people who disagreed with me give specific reasons for their disagreements. That's why I made the assumption it was based on your politics.

Do you not concede that liberals / Democrats and conservatives / Republicans might have a different view on what states have a cool reputation?
Good lord, what makes you think I'm a liberal? I would describe myself as a libertarian. Because I don't think South Carolina is the coolest state?

Again, what makes SC cooler than the other southern states?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 06:44 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Good lord, what makes you think I'm a liberal? I would describe myself as a libertarian. Because I don't think South Carolina is the coolest state?

Again, what makes SC cooler than the other southern states?
I included other southern states in my original comments, particularly ones with beaches. Much of what I said about SC can apply to other southern states that have seen a lot of growth and get a lot of tourism, and college students from other places. I believe Tenn is one of the top tourism states.

It isn't that you simply disagreed with me...you were hostile about it. You said something about 'delusional' southerners. I think if you are making negative generalizations about southerners, it probably has something to do with your politics.

I note again you still have not specified why you so vehemently disagreed with me that SC has a cool reputation. Your premise was it is obvious that SC is not considered cool. I figured you would have several specific reasons for that given your passionate assertion.

So you don't think Charleston even has a cool reputation? In my experience young people from other places love Charleston. I personally think it is overrated a little. I would think Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and perhaps Hilton Head to a lesser extent drives the perception of SC from outside of the state. When I worked up outside of Manhattan, these were the areas people up there were most familiar with in SC and they were so positive about these cities.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-17-2018 at 07:08 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 PM
 
Location: Greenville SC 'Waterfall City'
7,582 posts, read 3,994,519 times
Reputation: 2906
I have never been to Fort Collins, but it looks cool on Google maps streetview. Has kind of an Old Wild West look to it. I bet Colorado State is a fun place to go to college.

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-17-2018 at 07:12 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top