U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2018, 07:01 PM

10,674 posts, read 8,182,570 times

Advertisements

Florida, California, Downstate New York, Colorado, Washington, North Carolina, Texas, Arizona
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-17-2018, 07:11 PM

13,217 posts, read 17,948,587 times
Here's how I'd rank the popularity of Southern states (including Oklahoma and Texas)...

Most popular: Florida, Georgia, Texas.

More popular: North Carolina, Virginia.

Average: Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee.

Less popular: Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma.

Least popular: Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia.

Old 04-17-2018, 07:15 PM

6,552 posts, read 10,257,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I have never been to Fort Collins, but it looks cool on Google maps streetview. Has kind of an Old West look to it.
It's kind of an acquired taste. I lived there in college. Would consider going back if the IT sector up there weren't so weak.

It's much slower paced, smaller, whiter, and more tight-knit than Denver. It feels like a larger version of the rural Western Slope town I grew up in honestly.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:16 PM

2,752 posts, read 1,710,967 times
I've heard people say Charleston is cool. I've never heard anyone say South Carolina is cool. In fact, when people talk about "cool," they're almost always talking about cities, not states.

Old 04-17-2018, 08:41 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,992,169 times
That was my point....many people outside of SC are only familiar with Charleston, Mrytle Beach and perhaps Hilton Head. So their perception of the state should be driven by those places. It is hard to believe a significant number of people wouldn't think living at the beach is cool. Beaches are the top vacation spots.

I think most people familiar with Greenville think it is cool. Not many cities have a waterfall downtown and it is the only city in the south that does.

Most people in SC live in the cities, as is the case in every state. My point isn't that every little town in SC has a cool reputation.

Old 04-17-2018, 10:14 PM

5,322 posts, read 1,994,714 times
Alaska is pretty cold. Minnesota might have the overall coolest reputation given the ice fishing culture.

Old 04-18-2018, 06:21 AM

1,376 posts, read 2,513,703 times
Oregon may have a reputation for being a "cool" state, but a lot of people in California and Washington seem to view us as boring or backwards, probably because we don't have as many urban centres.

Old 04-18-2018, 03:29 PM

4,843 posts, read 2,975,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ClemVegas View Post
I included other southern states in my original comments, particularly ones with beaches. Much of what I said about SC can apply to other southern states that have seen a lot of growth and get a lot of tourism, and college students from other places. I believe Tenn is one of the top tourism states.

It isn't that you simply disagreed with me...you were hostile about it. You said something about 'delusional' southerners. I think if you are making negative generalizations about southerners, it probably has something to do with your politics.

I note again you still have not specified why you so vehemently disagreed with me that SC has a cool reputation. Your premise was it is obvious that SC is not considered cool. I figured you would have several specific reasons for that given your passionate assertion.

So you don't think Charleston even has a cool reputation? In my experience young people from other places love Charleston. I personally think it is overrated a little. I would think Charleston, Myrtle Beach, and perhaps Hilton Head to a lesser extent drives the perception of SC from outside of the state. When I worked up outside of Manhattan, these were the areas people up there were most familiar with in SC and they were so positive about these cities.
Never been to Charleston but Iíve heard it is special. But to say SC has the coolest rep, thatís a reach. Also donít be so sensitive and take things so personally on the inter webs

Old 04-18-2018, 05:14 PM

7,581 posts, read 3,992,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaylord_Focker View Post
Never been to Charleston but I’ve heard it is special. But to say SC has the coolest rep, that’s a reach. Also don’t be so sensitive and take things so personally on the inter webs
I don't think asking you why you felt the need to make hostile comments is being sensitive. You even said southerners are delusional. In my view, being cool involves being friendly.

It doesn't make any sense to me that you and other people were annoyed by my comment.

I note again that you have not given any specifics as to why SC doesn't have a cool rep.

I'm expressing my opinions on here, not your opinions. I never said SC has the 'coolest' rep. I said I think it has as cool rep and I gave some reasons for it.. I didn't rank SC.

Charleston is one of the largest 3 metros in the state. I also never said literally every little town in SC has a cool rep.

It is interesting that you have never even been to Charleston but you have such a strong opinion about SC. As I've pointed out, Charleston is a big part in what drives SC's reputation and you described it as special. You also said that Hilton Head sounds pretty cool. Do you think that most people are familiar with every city in SC to include the ones in the western part of the state not near the beach?

Last edited by ClemVegas; 04-18-2018 at 05:46 PM..

Old 04-18-2018, 05:15 PM

1,558 posts, read 743,963 times
Default Southern State Perceptions

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craziaskowboi View Post
Here's how I'd rank the popularity of Southern states (including Oklahoma and Texas)...

Most popular: Florida, Georgia, Texas.

More popular: North Carolina, Virginia.

Average: Louisiana, South Carolina, Tennessee.

Less popular: Arkansas, Kentucky, Oklahoma.

Least popular: Alabama, Mississippi, West Virginia.
This ranking corresponds reasonably well to the growth rates of the respective Southern states, with a couple exceptions. Both Alabama and Louisiana arguably belong in the 'Less Popular' group as they do not really align with their respective counterparts in 'Least Popular' and 'Average'.

New Orleans is a fun place to visit and has a unique urban fabric that doesn't really have a counterpart in any of Alabama's cities, but it lacks much of a business sector and is an extremely vulnerable place with its below sea level location next to a large lake and river. Louisiana's other principal cities all have their assets, but none except for Lafayette (capital of Cajun Country and an oil business hub) particularly stand out as leaders in their size cohorts. With the state's general stagnation for years, it's not surprising that Louisiana has the lowest proportion of residents born outside the state in the South and one of the lowest in the nation. Compared to the other 'Average' states, they have no equivalent of booming metro Nashville in Tennessee, nor the thriving coastal areas of South Carolina.

Meanwhile in Alabama, Birmingham isn't identified much as a tourist destination but it is seeing a lot of urban core redevelopment and is a leading medical research hub. Huntsville of course is a very successful smaller metro area with its federal and high tech assets, and starting to develop more amenities that aligns with having an educated, prosperous population that includes many transplants from outside the South. I don't think Alabama as a whole is perceived as well as the South Atlantic states or Tennessee, but it's unquestionably ahead of Mississippi, and aside from a "leisure" perspective, also surpasses Louisiana.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > General U.S.
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or